• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Arthur

Brick Tamland

Looking like there is a good chance that Emerald Isle is going to take this one square on... the island is 25 miles long so the eastern end will be the worst around Atlantic Beach and Morehead City/Beaufort and then on the other end of the island Swansboro/Emerald Isle on the western end of the eyewall. The east then back west trend seems to be continuing and with a well vertically stacked system up to 200 mb its not ( well it shouldn't anyways)  prone to huge sudden direction changes......so we should see this stair stepping of the center especially as the storms rotate around the center.

Locally for me they have upped my high wind forecast to 45-50 in gust but you never really know what to expect...I will be anywhere from 40-60 miles from the center unless it takes a well left of track path from here on out.....

A lot of times these systems will do that odd little jog around Cape Fear but I think as the stronger eyewall rotates around we will see a more northerly track again for awhile.....

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking like there is a good chance that Emerald Isle is going to take this one square on... the island is 25 miles long so the eastern end will be the worst around Atlantic Beach and Morehead City/Beaufort and then on the other end of the island Swansboro/Emerald Isle on the western end of the eyewall. The east then back west trend seems to be continuing and with a well vertically stacked system up to 200 mb its not ( well it shouldn't anyways)  prone to huge sudden direction changes......so we should see this stair stepping of the center especially as the storms rotate around the center.

Locally for me they have upped my high wind forecast to 45-50 in gust but you never really know what to expect...I will be anywhere from 40-60 miles from the center unless it takes a well left of track path from here on out.....

A lot of times these systems will do that odd little jog around Cape Fear but I think as the stronger eyewall rotates around we will see a more northerly track again for awhile.....

it does look like it just curled around the Cape doesn't it? heh

Meanwhile....inland, i can tell you firsthand what happens when feeder bands meet a strong cold front coming out of the mountains. I just drove back from stuart va and it is a disaster zone up there. Very heavy rain showers that moved west into the front and then exploded. Now it is pivoting and pushing back east.

Havent seen that much rain that fast in a while. Some of these storms moving back east will rock the triad shortly.

I'm really surprised how much rain is making inroads into  East-central NC with a NNE moving  coastal storm. It's not very often that a system paralleling the coast can get it's rain shield West of Hwy 17, let alone I-95. Looks like the cold front to the West is starting to surge  Eastward as well, probably enhancing the NE movement of Arthur at the moment. For a while today, everything to the West had been pretty stationary.

I'm really surprised how much rain is making inroads into  East-central NC with a NNE moving  coastal storm. It's not very often that a system paralleling the coast can get it's rain shield West of Hwy 17, let alone I-95. Looks like the cold front to the West is starting to surge  Eastward as well, probably enhancing the NE movement of Arthur at the moment. For a while today, everything to the West had been pretty stationary.

Eastward push probably aided by diurnal heating and mass downslope flow off the Appalachians.  Wonder if that mesoscale-level momentum actually pushes Arthur a bit east of track (or whether it's just a temporary surge).

Just posted by my SIL North of Raleigh just off of Creedmore outside 540 -
"Unbelievable. I came home from work to discover we actually have wind damage and Arthur is nowhere near us. A tree came down during a gusty period this afternoon and landed on the house - punched two holes in the roof."

Eastward push probably aided by diurnal heating and mass downslope flow off the Appalachians.  Wonder if that mesoscale-level momentum actually pushes Arthur a bit east of track (or whether it's just a temporary surge).

Already looks to be smoothing out the east trend and starting to see a bit more north in the track but the degree its moving north changes when I go from MHX to ILM radars since the earth is curved and all that lol.

Looks much much better on radar than an hour or two ago. May have been some dry air on the west side trying to get into the storm. Eyewall is really strengthening on radar.

Yep. This is the best the thing has looked the whole time. The sat and radar pix are looking good, though the cloud tops have warmed some.

Possibly misses everything wide right? If not a complete miss it sure doesn't appear anyone will get right front quadranted.

Its moving more NE than anything should hit Emerald Isle pretty much head on, here is the path it appears to be taking if you smooth out all the wobbles

post-141-0-98471100-1404430825_thumb.gif

Wow that is nuts.....what time do you work until? I would expect for them to let you out early

NC news storm tracker 12 showed a graphic w very high winds (hurricane force and above) from Hamsptead to Newbern to Kill devil hills and east

Well, they finally let us go at 6:30 right when heavy band was moving thru. Got soaked running to my car. That said, I got .22 at my house out of the band with winds up to probably 30 mph. Right now it's light rain with winds of 10 to 15mph.

You don't think that will continue to drift a little Eastwards for more of an OBX hit?

The OBX gonna get hit no matter what really....its hard to tell exactly how east its going with the eye constantly ragging out and reforming and its a rather large center so anywhere from Swansboro to Lookout is going to get the "inner" core of this thing....Cape Lookout will most likely post the top winds recorded with this one unless it tightens up over the sound some from land interaction.....

Archived