Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Hurricane Arthur

Brick Tamland

attachicon.gifhwrf_ref_01L_5.png

This might actually be a pretty good run the average track the last 6-8 hrs if continued would be along the black line I drew. Its tough to say but the above track would be a doozy as many inland people would see strong TS winds and hurricane gust and the OBX would get hammered.....

Via Allan Huffman on twitter...HWRF tracks, that's why I've been so adamant about the HWRF...

L9wqMkc.png

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pouring here-gusty winds. Small branches and limbs down on the roads.

Numerous traffic lights out along Avent Ferry and parts of Tryon in west Raleigh...
Read more at http://www.wral.com/weather/#Uw5xC18GrEiZPJLq.99

nsj: RT @herr_jason@nsj impressive little rain band just stopped I540 near the airport for a bit. Home now to sounds of popping limbs, wind a…

Read more at http://www.wral.com/weather/page/1010362/#jiVLdYVpYVQXqK7H.99

Sorry for asking a IMBY question, and delete if a mod feels like it should be ...

A dear friend is driving tomorrow from Philly to Hampstead, NC, and then over to Topsail Island and is supposed to arrive around noon (they're leaving eaarrrrrrrrrrly Friday morning). I am poor with NC / OBX geography but is this likely a terrible, terrible, idea on her behalf? She'll be with two other middle-aged women.

Sorry for asking a IMBY question, and delete if a mod feels like it should be ...

A dear friend is driving tomorrow from Philly to Hampstead, NC, and then over to Topsail Island and is supposed to arrive around noon (they're leaving eaarrrrrrrrrrly Friday morning). I am poor with NC / OBX geography but is this likely a terrible, terrible, idea on her behalf? She'll be with two other middle-aged women.

Topsail is 35 mins NE of Wilmington, with the track right now they could take a very heavy hit, but it should be clearing out tomorrow.

The Mets continue to insist that this storm is going to blow out of here very quickly early Friday. If that is true and if you believe them, the trek from PA over to TI shouldnt be too bad as they will be well away from NC when they start out driving and the storm "should" be gone by the time they arrive.

Topsail island has a long history of not faring well in storms. It depends on the track, but I would call tomorrow morning before leaving.

This will depend on what Arthur does if he continues to strengthen and gets the FL winds to the surface and continues on the present course Topsail is in for a long night and could be without power for days.....if they are going t oa house or hotel I would call ahead to see if they where open and accepting new guest in light of the storm.....

From WRAL: (What a crock)

Arthur will be advancing toward the southern coast this afternoon with deteriorating conditions there, but locally we should feel little if no impacts from the storm. Any of the rain we see this morning or this afternoon comes from an approaching cold front. 
Read more at http://www.wral.com/weather/#XRLrGsMdrdQrFKt1.99

There was a bit of a eastward jog as NE eyewall continues to improve but as it rotates around the motion has gone back more northerly and WXjordan you might be close to getting into some real TC conditions.....the clear area on radar is most likely some dry air that has worked in but the winds in that area can be quite bad as the dry air mixes down the winds better....

the dry patch near the center looks like it is decreasing in size, once that works out I'd say watch out.

Yeah he was much more efficient if choking it off this time and if anything the eyewall is coming back with a vengeance.....also a much more north look the last 30 mins or so this thing is going to come real close to putting the eyewall on Wilmington and its a pretty nasty eyewall at that.

Edit to add we just had a hell of the thunderstorm apparently parts of town had power knocked out by intense lightning  heard the thunder but it was mostly north of me...

radar data suggest that the northern part of the eyewall is getting pretty darn strong, at least gust to hurricane force in there and maybe even sustained 65-70 is possible and it sure looks like there is a good chance its going to at least skirt the beaches and technically those areas are not under a hurricane warning......

Hurricane hunters found 977mb on latest pass with 89kts (102mph) surface winds via dropsonde

Wow that's getting up there and the overall look is much better he might make a run at cat 3 after all if he can get the storms wrapped around the center again

Yeah I am thinking Cat 3 not out of the question.  Some nice purple showing up on the velocity scans now off the coast of BHI.  That island is going to get pounded.

I have a friend who's living in Morehead city over the summer and is staying against my advice-how bad do you guys think it could get there with the eye passing so close? Also, as a point of curiosity, what will happen if the storms from Arthur currently moving through the Triad survive long enough to interact with the incoming front over the mountains? 

Archived