12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Hurricane Arthur

Brick Tamland

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha oh I am sure. I wasn't trying to criticizing, just pointing out that the rotation was gone. They are doing a great job imo, this is a tough storm.

Oh I know, I was just imagining all of the calls they must be receiving about why the area isn't under a hurricane warning in addition to dealing with all of the storm threats.

Although the models still remain in good agreement on the

track of Arthur during the next couple of days, there has been a

westward shift this cycle. The new NHC track has been shifted

westward and lies between the GFS and ECMWF models through 36

hours. The updated track now shows landfall in eastern North

Carolina or the Outer Banks later tonight. Beyond 36 hours, the

NHC track has been adjusted about a degree westward, but it is not

as far west as the GFS and ECMWF model trackers.

While in most cases this westward shift in the track will be

immaterial to impacts, it does mean that the hurricane's strongest

winds are now more likely to be experienced along the Outer Banks,

rather than remain offshore.

NHC public advisories will be issued every two hours beginning at 7

pm EDT this evening and Tropical Cyclone Updates will be issued

on the hour between each Public Advisory to provide hourly position

updates.

I don't see it really its kind just moving north, since the eye shape is constantly changing it make it hard to tell what the actual motion is but overall its maybe a hair east of due north

I dunno. I'm seeing a good bit of NE movement from 1630-1710.  Further west than they were expecting, but its not moving straight North anymore

This is pretty much the worst case scenario for Hatteras Island, especially the delicate area in the Pea Island Refuge.....I can't imagine a scenario at this point where Hwy 12 is passable after this storm. Waves/Rodanthe/Salvo are in trouble. 

The size of the storm and the time it spends impacting an area definitely matters with the surge (size more for the initial coastal surge, time more for sound/interior regions) so hopefully with it being rather compact and moving quickly the flooding won't be as bad as it could be.

Wait...is cape fear not under hurricane warning?

Nope, it starts at Surf City.  I'm sure the NHC will come up with some explanation about wind radii and the like but basically it looks like they just didn't want to get egg on their face by throwing one up at the last minute.  When the eye of a 90mph hurricane is 30 miles offshore a hurricane warning needs to be up.

Bald Head Island and its residents have spent millions in the past few years countering beach erosion.  You gotta believe this will pretty much wash away those efforts completely.  The far south tip of the island used to flood under high tide before they stepped in.  This could be a problem.

Bald Head Island and its residents have spent millions in the past few years countering beach erosion. You gotta believe this will pretty much wash away those efforts completely. The far south tip of the island used to flood under high tide before they stepped in. This could be a problem.

If that is true, it was money pretty unwisely spent.

Archived