joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Arthur

Brick Tamland

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Storm is finally beginning to depart Oak Island. Winds are remaining high, around 40 mph sustained, with gust up to 60 mph. I walked out to the beach and the sand was blowing everywhere. Amazing storm for sure!

I assume this is your first tropical system? If so congrats on being in your first hurricane

Its moving more NE than anything should hit Emerald Isle pretty much head on, here is the path it appears to be taking if you smooth out all the wobbles

attachicon.gifArthur.gif

I agree, it still looks to be on track to hit that area.

Also is Arthur attempting to reconstruct a new, smaller eye?

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=MHX-N0Q-1-12

I agree, it still looks to be on track to hit that area.

Also is Arthur attempting to reconstruct a new, smaller eye?

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=MHX-N0Q-1-12

See in that loop to me it looks like its suddenly moving almost due north again but its mostly a illusion caused by the eye filling in and tightening up a bit more than a true north movement.....well at least I think that's the case....but it has had a pattern of taking east jogs then north jogs, a north jog now would be bad for a lot of people.

1507433_505239326244098_7880467712455875

Here is an updated regional radar image showing the current location of Hurricane Arthur. Additional rain bands are moving into Central NC as of 730 pm as showers and thunderstorms are moving into the Triad and Charlotte areas ahead of the cold front. The latest update on Arthur can be found here: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT1+shtml/032300.shtml

I assume this is your first tropical system? If so congrats on being in your first hurricane

Yes, this is my first tropical storm, and it is awesome. We are still having winds 40-50 mph with gusts up to 60 mph on the backside of the storm.

Waiting for the video. :)

Haha jk.

Once I get back home, I will be putting together some sort of video with all of the videos I took. I wish I had a higher quality camera, but unfortunately I don't.

I know most are focusing on the landfall aspect but it's pretty neat to see the very sharp turning of the echoes around raleigh...storms are moving west just east of rdu then it looks like it hits a brick wall and turns immeidately south. Not the normal gradual turning you see with storms/canes. Throw in that  line of curbed showers and storms approaching the storm itself at a pretty rapid speed and you have a very unique radar.

post-12-0-00450600-1404433672_thumb.gif

post-12-0-58055100-1404434059_thumb.gif

I know most are focusing on the landfall aspect but it's pretty neat to see the very sharp turning of the echoes around raleigh...storms are moving west just east of rdu then it looks like it hits a brick wall and turns immeidately south. Not the normal gradual turning you see with storms/canes. Throw in that  line of showers and storms approaching the storm itself at a pretty rapid speed and you have a very unique radar.

It's been fun and interesting just watching all the dynamics coming in to play with this system.

I know most are focusing on the landfall aspect but it's pretty neat to see the very sharp turning of the echoes around raleigh...storms are moving west just east of rdu then it looks like it hits a brick wall and turns immeidately south. Not the normal gradual turning you see with storms/canes. Throw in that  line of curbed showers and storms approaching the storm itself at a pretty rapid speed and you have a very unique radar.

What happens when they converge?

<Not a Met... what is going on when the collision occurs?

Sweeps it more right... and faster?

What happens when they converge?

<Not a Met... what is going on when the collision occurs?

Sweeps it more right... and faster?

The line will likely dissipate due to loss of daytime heating and subsidence around the storm. But that normal area of subsidence is what makes that line seem  out of place.

The models, in particular the hrrr, did a good job in predicting it...as it was showing it as early as last night.

I know most are focusing on the landfall aspect but it's pretty neat to see the very sharp turning of the echoes around raleigh...storms are moving west just east of rdu then it looks like it hits a brick wall and turns immeidately south. Not the normal gradual turning you see with storms/canes. Throw in that line of curbed showers and storms approaching the storm itself at a pretty rapid speed and you have a very unique radar.

Off topic but why did you post this image? Lol I'm already disappointed in not receiving any rain, and then see all that action in NC and FL/GA with everything avoiding here.

NC about to light up with tornado warnings, look at all those little couplets moving onshore. Already two currently with one that looks to be producing.

Really interesting to see a tornado warning so far removed, but directly associated with a hurricane...

843 PM EDT THU JUL 3 2014THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RALEIGH HAS ISSUED A* TORNADO WARNING FOR...  SOUTHEASTERN NASH COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA...  NORTHERN WILSON COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA...  WEST CENTRAL EDGECOMBE COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA...* UNTIL 915 PM EDT* AT 840 PM EDT...LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT REPORTED A FUNNEL CLOUD EAST  OF ELM CITY...ON THE EDGECOMBE WILSON COUNTY LINE...OR 9 MILES  SOUTH OF ROCKY MOUNT. DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A TORNADO MOVING  WEST AT 20 MPH.* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...  ROCKY MOUNT...NASHVILLE...WILSON...ELM CITY...SHARPSBURG...SIMS...  TAR RIVER RESERVOIR...KINGSBORO AND NEW HOPE.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...TO REPEAT...A FUNNEL CLOUD HAS BEEN SEEN BY LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENTAND A TORNADO IS POSSIBLE. TAKE COVER NOW. MOVE TO A BASEMENT OR ANINTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A STURDY BUILDING. AVOIDWINDOWS. IF IN A MOBILE HOME OR OUTDOORS...MOVE TO THE CLOSESTSUBSTANTIAL SHELTER AND PROTECT YOURSELF FROM FLYING DEBRIS.

Date: Near the closest hour of 0Z on the 4th day of the month

Highest Mandatory Level For Which Wind Was Reported: 700mb

Coordinates: 33.9N 76.9W

Location: 58 miles (93 km) to the S (189°) from Morehead City, NC, USA.

Marsden Square: 116 (About)

Level Geo. Height Air Temp. Dew Point Wind Direction Wind Speed

989mb (29.21 inHg) Sea Level (Surface) 24.2°C (75.6°F) 24.2°C (75.6°F) 160° (from the SSE) 80 knots (92 mph)

1000mb -102m (-335 ft) This level does not exist in this area of the storm above the surface level.

925mb 581m (1,906 ft) 21.2°C (70.2°F) 21.2°C (70.2°F) 180° (from the S) 105 knots (121 mph)

850mb 1,314m (4,311 ft) 18.6°C (65.5°F) 18.6°C (65.5°F) 205° (from the SSW) 97 knots (112 mph)

700mb 2,968m (9,738 ft) 9.0°C (48.2°F) 9.0°C (48.2°F) 215° (from the SW) 89 knots (102 mph)

Oh most def! Doesnt take much to steer a hurricane one way or the other which is why they tend to wobble so much (with no outside impact). In this instance that strong (for this time of year) cold front is gonna boot Arthur out of the way with no trouble whatsoever.

Watching the radar loop it really looks like the cold front will easily win this showdown. If trends continue Arthur is going to get kicked hard right around midnight.

Watching the radar loop it really looks like the cold front will easily win this showdown. If trends continue Arthur is going to get kicked hard right around midnight.

Nah, it's going to go right over Beaufort and hit the OBX hard. Look at latest images on satellite and radar.

Yeah couplets northwest of Pantego are really turning, lots of rotation moving in.  Also one to the south of Pantego spinning.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NEWPORT HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

MAINLAND HYDE COUNTY IN EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA...

WASHINGTON COUNTY IN EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA...

* UNTIL 945 PM EDT

* AT 855 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO NEAR ALLIGATOR

LAKE...OR 12 MILES NORTH OF SWANQUARTER...MOVING NORTHWEST AT 35

MPH.

* OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO

PONZER...PUNGO LAKE...CENTER OF PHELPS LAKE...WENONA...ROPER AND

HINSON

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Storm near Beargrass,NC needs a warning also.

Archived