• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2014

NEG NAO

Temperatures have been seasonable so far.  LaGuardia & Newark are close to +0.0 DFN for June.

LGA is +0.1 for June and Newark is +0.6.

When one speaks of above normal temperatures (or below normal)...the departure usually has to be greater than 1.0 degrees in order to be statistically significant, IMO.

the normals are fudged lower for most months...noaa has June at 71.5 for Central Park for the 1981 to 2010 period...the real average is around 71.8...We are closer to the average than the fudged normal...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Temperatures have been seasonable so far.  LaGuardia & Newark are close to +0.0 DFN for June.

When one speaks of above normal temperatures (or below normal)...the departure usually has to be greater than 1.0 degrees in order to be statistically significant, IMO.

JFK and ISP are +1.4 and +2.1 respectively. I think it's fair to say it's a bit above normal, not normal, but a bit above.

Guest Pamela

JFK and ISP are +1.4 and +2.1 respectively. I think it's fair to say it's a bit above normal, not normal, but a bit above.

Yes, at JFK & ISP...

I generally use 0.0  to gauge over or under. The NYC/LGA/EWR/JFK average for June to date

is +0.7 with generally above normal temperatures expected over next week. It's similar to the May pattern across the

area which finished at +0.9. It's not a large warm departure considering what we have experienced here in recent

years. 

Despite the ridging in the means over the area since the start of May, the low pressure nearby just off the

coast has kept the high temperature potential less than the more extreme warmth experienced by this time

of year since 2010. 

Convection this afternoon?

better chance in the northern portions of the metro as the jet is located closer to them - if we do get any heavy rain from convection chances are greater this evening especially in areas where storms are training and again the further north you are the better chance. Not alot of instability to work with over much of the metro....

the normals are fudged lower for most months...noaa has June at 71.5 for Central Park for the 1981 to 2010 period...the real average is around 71.8...We are closer to the average than the fudged normal...

The fact that we are consistently above normal from a moving (increasing) 30 average is sad. How much above normal are we when compared to 71-00? Or 61-90?

The fact that we are consistently above normal from a moving (increasing) 30 average is sad. How much above normal are we when compared to 71-00? Or 61-90?

since the 1930's June has been averaging around 71.5...The minimums have gone up...

June......Ave temp...max...min...ave max/min...

1870's.....70.4.......na.....na.....na.....na

1880's.....70.5.......96.....48.....91.0.....51.5

1890's.....70.9.......97.....48.....93.6.....53.4

1900's.....70.0.......95.....48.....91.1.....52.7

1910's.....69.0.......95.....47.....90.9.....51.1

1920's.....70.1.......99.....45.....92.7.....51.0

1930's.....71.6.....101.....47.....93.7.....52.4

1940's.....71.5.......99.....44.....93.9.....51.1

1950's.....71.2.....100.....48.....94.2.....51.9

1960's.....72.0.....101.....48.....95.5.....52.7

1970's.....71.0.......95.....46.....91.1.....52.0

1980's.....71.7.......98.....47.....92.7.....52.6

1990's.....72.2.......98.....49.....92.8.....52.6

2000's.....71.3.......96.....49.....91.4.....52.5

2010's.....72.7.......95.....51.....94.0.....54.7

1870/1880-

2009 ave 70.9.....101.....44.....92.7.....52.1

1980-

2009 ave 71.7.......97.....47.....92.3.....52.6

The HRRR has a fairly potent looking squall line approaching the area around 00z tonight. Pumps SBCAPE to around 1500 J/KG west of NYC.

The RAP has several waves of showers and thunderstorms for the area lasting well into the overnight.

Pretty decent uptick in the 09z SREF plumes with the mean up to 0.73" IMBY.

Mt. Holly seems to think that some areas may experience flash flooding today.

.HYDROLOGY...
THE POTENTIAL FOR LOCALLY VERY HEAVY RAIN TODAY AND TONIGHT
REMAINS WHICH COULD LEAD TO SOME LOCAL FLOODING AS THE PW VALUES
ARE FORECAST TO INCREASE TO AROUND 2.00 INCHES.

AS A COLD FRONT NEARS, THE FLOW IS GENERALLY PARALLEL TO IT WHICH
INTRODUCES THE RISK FOR TRAINING CONVECTIVE CELLS. THE FORECAST
SOUNDINGS INDICATE THAT CONVECTION WILL HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO BE
RATHER EFFICIENT RAINFALL PRODUCERS, AND ANY TRAINING OR MULTICELL
CLUSTERS WILL ENHANCE THE HEAVY RAIN/FLOODING THREAT. THE ARRIVAL
OF A SURFACE LOW ALONG THE FRONT MAY ALSO ENHANCE THE LOW-LEVEL
CONVERGENCE AND ALLOW FOR MORE FOCUSED DOWNPOURS. THIS LOOKS TO
INITIALLY BE FOCUSED ACROSS THE WESTERN ZONES, THEN IT GRADUALLY
SHIFTS EAST DURING THE EVENING. THE 1-HOUR FLASH FLOOD GUIDANCE
SHOWS NORTHERN NEW JERSEY AND PORTIONS OF EASTERN PENNSYLVANIA
WITH VALUES AT OR LESS THAN 2.00 INCHES. THESE SIMILAR AREAS ON
THE 3-HOUR FLASH FLOOD GUIDANCE HAVE VALUES BETWEEN ABOUT 2.00 AND
2.50 INCHES. IT IS THESE LOCATIONS AND THE MORE URBANIZED SPOTS
THAT ARE MORE SUSCEPTIBLE TO FLASH FLOODING. A FLASH FLOOD WATCH
IS NOT BEING ISSUED ATTM DUE TO SOME QUESTION ON HOW MUCH
CONVECTION DEVELOPS /AREAL COVERAGE/ AND WHERE IF BECOMES FOCUSED
THE LONGEST. A MENTION HOWEVER REMAINS IN THE HAZARDOUS WEATHER
OUTLOOK.

No denying we are entering an even warmer world, last couple months have broken global records and at this rate 2014 could end up being the warmest year on record with aid from the El Njno.

The warmer mins definitely seem to play a stronger role though than warmer highs and we still get some cold and snowy winters so I assume the extremes will continue to increase. Eventually the warmth will overpower winter as well but probably beyond our lifetime.

No denying we are entering an even warmer world, last couple months have broken global records and at this rate 2014 could end up being the warmest year on record with aid from the El Njno.

The warmer mins definitely seem to play a stronger role though than warmer highs and we still get some cold and snowy winters so I assume the extremes will continue to increase. Eventually the warmth will overpower winter as well but probably beyond our lifetime.

I agree. I think there are increased moisture levels as a result of a warming world, therefore preventing temps from dropping as low at night as they could have. Obviously this is a long term thing and not one specific muggy event can be attributed to the warming.

Your winter thoughts parallel mine. Eventually the warming will overpower winter as you said and our snow averages will drop steadily.

I agree. I think there are increased moisture levels as a result of a warming world, therefore preventing temps from dropping as low at night as they could have. Obviously this is a long term thing and not one specific muggy event can be attributed to the warming.

Your winter thoughts parallel mine. Eventually the warming will overpower winter as you said and our snow averages will drop steadily.

Especially in cities and nearby suburbs.

Yes there will be an ultimate tipping point with our snowfall averages. Currently the warming tends to correlate with increased moisture thus a greater chance at more snowfall but the warmth will one day overcome the cold and most of our winter precipitation will be rain.

I'm guessing that's very possible towards the end of this century if not even sooner especially in the warmer micro climates at and around the cities.

Especially in cities and nearby suburbs.

Well actually I read a report that warming is happening in extreme remote areas as well. I read an article about warming occurring in the heart of the Adirondacks. It was a great read, though you'll have to google for the link since I don't have it handy.

Yes there will be an ultimate tipping point with our snowfall averages. Currently the warming tends to correlate with increased moisture thus a greater chance at more snowfall but the warmth will one day overcome the cold and most of our winter precipitation will be rain.

I'm guessing that's very possible towards the end of this century if not even sooner especially in the warmer micro climates at and around the cities.

When you add it up by liquid equivalent, most of our winter precipitation already is rain. I think it will take quite a bit of doing to markedly warm things enough to lower our snow averages-maybe in 50 years or so this could be the case. The last few years have favored quite a few coastal winter storms which haven't had borderline cold air for snow (some of the true outliers like October 2011 or November 2012 notwithstanding). Theoretically we could have fewer storms with snow due to the general airmass being warmer, but more from one or two storms with cold enough air to make up the difference.

mcd1147.gif
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
1249 PM CDT WED JUN 25 2014

AREAS AFFECTED...PORTIONS OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND AND NORTHERN
MID-ATLANTIC

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH UNLIKELY

VALID 251749Z - 252015Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...20 PERCENT

SUMMARY...THUNDERSTORMS WILL INCREASE IN COVERAGE AND INTENSITY
THROUGH THE AFTERNOON. STRONG TO BRIEFLY SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WILL
BE POSSIBLE...WITH ISOLATED WIND DAMAGE THE MAIN THREAT.

DISCUSSION...THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED TO INCREASE IN COVERAGE AND
INTENSITY THROUGH THE EARLY AFTERNOON IN AN ENVIRONMENT
CHARACTERIZED BY PRECIPITABLE-WATER VALUES BETWEEN 1.5 AND 2 INCHES.
MLCAPE VALUES GENERALLY DECREASE FROM SOUTH-TO-NORTH ACROSS THE AREA
/FROM 2000 J/KG TO LESS THAN 500 J/KG/...ALTHOUGH DEEP-LAYER SHEAR
VALUES GENERALLY INCREASE FROM SOUTH-TO-NORTH /FROM LESS THAN 20
KNOTS TO AROUND 40 KNOTS/. THESE SOMEWHAT COMPENSATING FACTORS
SHOULD SUPPORT STRONG TO BRIEFLY SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WITH THE MAIN
SEVERE THREAT BEING ISOLATED WIND DAMAGE FROM WET DOWNBURSTS GIVEN
THE UNSEASONABLY MOIST AIR MASS.

..MARSH/CARBIN.. 06/25/2014

Archived