amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
June 2014

NEG NAO

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The main problem right now with getting a really impressive warm up for the first

week on July has been the persistent low that has been parked SE of Newfoundland.

It has left one of the strongest cold pools in that region that we have seen in recent years.

While this doesn't mean that we wont be able to get over 90, it may be a struggle

to reach the mid to upper 90's of recent years. Notice how the Euro ensembles

maintain a weakness in that location right through the forecast period. We'll have

to see how the models handle things once we get under 120 hrs.

The week of the 29th has the potential to bring us our first heat wave of the season. It is still too early to know for sure, but fireworks on Independence Day could be going off under very hot and humid conditions.

GFS:

gfs_z500a_us_34.png

GGEM:

gem_z500a_us_33.png

Positive height potential for the entire eastern U.S. and eastern Canada with interlocking ridges.

gfs_z500a_namer_33.png

Guest Pamela

wouldn't it be easier to, you know, get used to the climate around here?

the climate change denier in chief weighs in

Though the two posts are inherently contradictory and assert diametrically opposed takes on the same issue, the irony of the paradox is not lost upon me...

That bowling ball low southeast of Newfoundland may prevent the heat wave, as bluewave alluded to, but it has plenty of room for it to move out.

That could very well end up being overdone, but the ridge may not be as along the coast limiting the heat to

something like 90-95 instead of upper 90's to around 100. We'lll see what things look like as we get under 120 hrs.

You can see the lowering of heights on the Euro ensemble mean eroding the eastern side of the ridge near the

coast and offshore areas.

Last nights 00z ECMWF continued the general theme of backing off and delaying the big heat signal. Our first shot at mid 90's or above holds off until at least July 2nd.

Troughiness northeast of us has been the way to go for months. This time may be different but it wouldn't surprise me at all to have another trough/low east of us which keeps the heat west of here.

What about the big rain potential Wednesday? figured you'd be all over that

I'm not overly impressed at this time. Seems like the bulk of guidance wants to keep the core to our north.  

The Euro ensembles however love next week for some excessive rainfall. I'll be out of town so lock it up.

The 12z 4k NAM brings through quite a nasty squall line around 00z Thursday. Gets SBCAPE as high as 4000 J/KG into eastern PA and is 2000+ J/KG for nearly everyone west of the Hudson. Gets lifted indexes in the -6 to -11 range across the area unless you live in on the convective graveyard otherwise known as Long Island.

PWAT's will be in the 1.50-2.25" range and rainfall could be locally heavy briefly.

The Euro is not that different which lends confidence. Haven't really had a chance to fully digest everything.

This weather has been pretty unbelievable.  Did we get transported to Southern California all of a sudden?

Nothing really unbelievable about it. NYC's +0.9 for temperatures so far this month, and we've seen plenty of mostly cloudy days during the work weeks. It's just that the beautiful weekends this month might skew people's thinking.

Temperature wise, this is more or less how summer on average progresses. Our big heat (for 2+ consecutive days) doesn't generally get going until the end of June/beginning of July.

Nothing really unbelievable about it. NYC's +0.9 for temperatures so far this month, and we've seen plenty of mostly cloudy days during the work weeks. It's just that the beautiful weekends this month might skew people's thinking.

Temperature wise, this is more or less how summer on average progresses. Our big heat (for 2+ consecutive days) doesn't generally get going until the end of June/beginning of July.

All of this is true, but I think since the humidity hasn't been too terrible for the most part it has felt a lot better.

All of this is true, but I think since the humidity hasn't been too terrible for the most part it has felt a lot better.

You're going to get your humidity fill in the beginning of July. I think we avoid the big excessive heat (95F+) for the most part but dews should remain high. The 12z GEFS has dews staying in the 60's or 70's for nearly the entire forecast period.

Archived