June 2014

NEG NAO

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The American Weather Forum has issued a *****MASSIVE WEENIE SUICIDE ALERT*****

For the following.....

OPPRESSIVE HEAT AND HUMIDITY LOVERS

This Alert is in effect until further notice!

Details...

The massive heat ridge advertised to traverse the continent during the upoming week has been bounced and replaced with a big, fat trough centered along the east coast. In addition, most global models are now developing a tropical or sub-tropical cyclone near the Carolina coast early next week and then track it up the coast or just offshore towards the 4th of July weekend.

Please stay tuned to American Weather Forums for more updates on this developing situation.

Well you really don't need huge heat for things to feel uncomfortable outside, these past couple of days have been very humid and uncomfortable regardless of a lack of 95+ readings.

All we need is for the ridge to shift a hundred miles further west and the heat stays completely away and this little baby tracks right up the beaches.

post-2786-0-58609400-1403809745_thumb.pn

The American Weather Forum has issued a *****MASSIVE WEENIE SUICIDE ALERT*****

For the following.....

OPPRESSIVE HEAT AND HUMIDITY LOVERS

This Alert is in effect until further notice!

Details...

The massive heat ridge advertised to traverse the continent during the upoming week has been bounced and replaced with a big, fat trough centered along the east coast. In addition, most global models are now developing a tropical or sub-tropical cyclone near the Carolina coast early next week and then track it up the coast or just offshore towards the 4th of July weekend.

Please stay tuned to American Weather Forums for more updates on this developing situation.

It's likely a phantom storm. We've had plenty of false alarms like these before. In fact, Sandy is the only one of these I remember happening.

It's likely a phantom storm. We've had plenty of false alarms like these before. In fact, Sandy is the only one of these I remember happening.

No way. A 200+ hour Euro surface chart warrants ample discussion in at least two regional subforums and a couple TC forecasting threads for good measure.

OTOH, I'd be down for some kind—any kind—of interesting weather. 0.3" of rain last night didn't cut it.

That phantom storm on the Euro develops in the next 48 hours.

Plus the NHC is acknowldeging it and so are the mets in the main forum.

ABNT20 KNHC 261726
TWOAT

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
200 PM EDT THU JUN 26 2014

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

An area of low pressure could form and linger off of the
southeastern coast of the United States by late this weekend or
early next week. Some development of this system is possible if it
remains over water.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...20 percent.

I think it's legit, that area off the SE coast is really the one area this season were conditions are favorable enough for any tropical/subtropical systems to develop. The SSTs are above normal along the east coast and it's the only area where shear is normal to below normal. A storm like Bob is also very plausible this season.

I think it's legit, that area off the SE coast is really the one area this season were conditions are favorable enough for any tropical/subtropical systems to develop. The SSTs are above normal along the east coast and it's the only area where shear is normal to below normal. A storm like Bob is also very plausible this season.

That area is not only in the typical sweet spot for July development but also in an area of relatively weak shear as compared to the Carribean and the rest of the tropics.

july.gif

wg8sht.GIF

It should remain in relatively weak stiring currents and in an area with above normal ocean heat content. Not to mention it should be developing right over the gulf stream.

at_anom_mm.gif

The storm also has plenty of support on the 12z ECMWF individual ensembles. 

Looks like a prolific rain producer as the moisture associated with it surges northward and interacts with a stalled frontal boundray near the east coast.

The ensemble mean does have a frontal wave development just off the coast. We'll have to wait and see how close to the coast

this ends up in later runs. Even if a little further east, we'll still see a cooler 4th with a NE wind.

The ensemble mean does have a frontal wave development just off the coast. We'll have to wait and see how close to the coast

this ends up in later runs.

attachicon.gifget_legacy_plot-web248-20140626203817-6654-0211.gif

If you take a look at the individuals I would say that about 40% have development.

A possible outcome is that it sits off the Carolina coast for days in the weak stiring and sends waves of convection northward.

Of course this has to happen while I'm going to be on vacation in Virgina.

If you take a look at the individuals I would say that about 40% have development.

A possible outcome is that it sits off the Carolina coast for days in the weak stiring and sends waves of convection northward.

where in VA ? its a big state......VA Beach would be an ideal spot to monitor this situation - even a better place would be the outer banks of NC

where in VA ? its a big state......VA Beach would be an ideal spot to monitor this situation - even a better place would be the outer banks of NC

I'll be in Willamsburg.

Going to do the Busch Gardens, Water Country USA, Williamsburg thing with the GF.

Also heading down to Norfolk to see a minor leauge baseball game.

Torrential rain isn't exactly conducive for any of those activites. I guess I might get what I've been begging for and getting it with horrible timing.

I'll be in Willamsburg.

Going to do the Busch Gardens, Water Country USA, Williamsburg thing with the GF.

Also heading down to Norfolk to see a minor leauge baseball game.

Torrential rain isn't exactly conducive for any of those activites. I guess I might get what I've been begging for and getting it with horrible timing.

I wouldn't worry about this thing making it inland just  yet since development is just starting down there as this loop shows and the exact direction and intensity/coverage is still in question -BUT with all the bad luck the Jersey shore has had the last few years a wash out for the July 4th weekend from a strong offshore or very close to the shore storm that  possibly could close the beaches would have a really negative economical impact

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/eaus/wv-animated.gif

I wouldn't worry about this thing making it inland just  yet since development is just starting down there as this loop shows and the exact direction and intensity/coverage is still in question

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/eaus/wv-animated.gif

The ULL should prevent this from slipping eastward to quickly.

I'm not worried yet but it looks wet even if we don't get true development.

We have been pretty lucky with July 4th weather in the 2010's so far. I guess the best scenario would be that

the front clears the coast and the heaviest rain falls offshore. Still to early to tell yet, but there could be NE to N

flow in any event which would keeps temps near or even below normal.

Every single 15z SREF ensemble member develops this by 48 hours.

f45.gif

also you can bet once the mainstream media gets hold of this storm possibility they will run with it up until its no longer a threat for the July 4th weekend - this was the weekend most of the coastal regions that were impacted by Sandy were counting on for a huge amount of $$$ from tourism

also you can bet once the mainstream media gets hold of this storm possibility they will run with it up until its no longer a threat for the July 4th weekend - this was the weekend most of the coastal regions that were impacted by Sandy were counting on for a huge amount of $$$ from tourism

This one has egg on the face written all over it.

Temps look comfortable for July 4th compared to recent years heat. The ensemble mean

looks to clear the front through by fireworks time which would be good news if it holds.

attachicon.gifget_legacy_plot-web249-20140627093033-26747-0342.gif

attachicon.gifD7.gif

I had mentioned here a few times that I thought we would have our first widespread heatwave in the metro before July 10th BUT the chances of that are diminishing because we can't break out of the same basic pattern we have been in the last few months which does not allow the heat to make it into our area from the southwest for any extended period of time 

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=kewr

Here is July 2009 at EWR -

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KEWR/2009/7/1/MonthlyHistory.html

Archived