Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NNE Thread: Heading into the Heart of Winter

powderfreak

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At 9 PM had 5.5" new, 0.37" LE for about 15:1, with -SN (still nice dendrites) and 15F, high for the day - low was -14 before the clouds arrived. When I left AUG at a little past 4 they had just over 2"; when I got home at 5:30 (short Wallyworld stop plus folks driving 20-25 most of the 2nd half, plus Mile Hill hadn't been plowed for several hr) there was just under 4", and I'd guess half the difference was the better ratios in the foothills, the other half fell during the journey. One could see the flakes increase in size as I drove thru Belgrade.

Gfs getting colder for early next week. If it were to verify (AUG minima -14 to -18 Sun/Mon/Tues) I'd be taking a run at -30.

Event totals: 4.2” Snow/0.49” L.E.

Tuesday 1/18/2011 6:00 P.M. update: It wasn’t snowing in Burlington this morning in the 6:30 to 7:00 A.M. range, and I didn’t see when it started, but by 8:00 A.M. or so it was coming down. There were some big flakes at times during the day, but even by later in the afternoon it didn’t seem like more than 2 or 3 inches had accumulated. At the Waterbury park and ride at around 5:45 P.M. I found a similar 2 to 3 inches of snow on my car, but boy was it coming down! It was pouring snow at over an inch an hour, hard enough that I couldn’t tell until the very last minute where to turn off for our road. It must have been part of that big burst that Powderfreak showed on the radar and mreaves was riding in. I found 4.2 inches of snow on the snowboard at 6:00 P.M., and it actually seemed pretty dry and fluffy, but it was secretly very dense. It contained 0.49 inches of liquid and came in at a ratio of 8.6 to 1 (11.7% H2O). If I’d had to guess the density on that stuff I would have been quite off the mark. It’s been snowing on and off since then, with some big flakes at times, but nothing of the intensity I saw when I first got home. As of 9:00 P.M. there was another half inch of snow on the board of what seems like the same density material. I haven’t seen any sleet around here; as of 9:45 P.M. it’s been all snow, but clearly there’s a bit of sleet in the north based on the reports here.

We’re flirting with the century mark for snowfall now at this location and we’re definitely staying ahead of average. I’d say we’re a couple weeks ahead because it looks like my numbers put the average date for 100 inches at some point around the first week of February.

Some details from the 6:00 P.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 4.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.49 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 8.6

Snow Density: 11.7%

Temperature: 23.2 F

Sky: Heavy Snow (2-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 18.0 inches

Could be a surprise 2-4" tonight for CNE later today into this evening. That would be nice on top of the crust layer.

Down to 31.6F with some partial clearing. There's going to be a lot of black ice around.

GYX has under 2" in my forecast (1" today , less than 1" tonight) but judging from the overnight models I'm thinking that 2-4" you mention is feasible and we might see some upgrades.

GYX drops a mention of a Norlun in the AFD. Could become interesting later should that happen.

THE GFS IS EVEN SHOWING SIGNS OF WEAK BANDING

IN SNOW SHOWERS OVER SOUTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE AND ADJACENT

SOUTHWEST MAINE THIS AFTERNOON AS AN INVERTED TROUGH WILL BE

FORMING OVER THE FORECAST AREA AS WELL. WILL NEED TO MONITOR THIS

CLOSELY FOR POTENTIAL NORLUN TYPE TROUGH ENHANCEMENT OF THE SNOW...AND

FOR NOW...HAVE HANDLED WITH HIGH POPS AND AN INCH OR TWO

ACCUMULATION OF SNOW IN THIS AREA.

2.7" overnight in Stowe Village

3.8" storm total of very dense snow, but no sign of any mixed precipitation unless there were some sleet pellets occasionally mixed in with the snow. Certainly no signs of ice or crust.

I'd bet we actually had under 10:1 ratios with this... I could see about .4" of liquid being in that 3.8"

Ski Resort measurements this morning are showing right at 4" total for the past 24 hour period at 1,550ft. I did not clean my spot yesterday so its just one 24 hour measurement. A groomer I trust is measuring 5" at 3,000ft.

If we cleared every 6-12 hours, storm total would likely be a hair more, but right now its looking like a 4-5" storm and now we wait for any upslope response later today. Ratios look about the same up here... temps hit 29F at the summit last night so it definitely was warm up there and very close to sleet. Given how dense the snow seems, it was probably close to 32F for a solid layer above the summit.

Event totals: 4.9” Snow/0.59” L.E.

Wednesday 1/19/2011 6:00 A.M. update: Since the last round of observations at 6:00 P.M. we’ve had 0.7 inches of additional snow, and I haven’t seen any mixed precipitation in the air or detected any sign of it on the snowpack. The density of this last round of snow was quite high at 14.3% H2O, but it seems to be just dense snow. The air temperature was 27.0 at observation time, and had that feel that it could produce some mix/freezing mist if it wanted. Roger Hill indicated that we’ll have another impulse of snow coming through today, and I can see it building on the radar off to our west. The NWS says any threat of mixed precipitation will be ending as any warmth in the low and mid levels of the atmosphere cools.

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 0.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.10 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 7.0

Snow Density: 14.3% H2O

Temperature: 27.0 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 18.0 inches

OK, 24 hour totals: 7.2" of new snow, 0.71" liquid--pretty much a 10:1 ratio.

This stuff definitely has some heft to it. Call it snowpack building material. ;)

I started the day yesterday with 13" at the stake and the solid snow of yesterday smushed everything down some so we're sitting now at 18" of depth.

Had just a touch of sleet and freezing drizzle at the tail end of things last night.

Cloudy and balmy this morning. 28F.

Just went outside to load up the car and wow what a job the freezing rain did overnight. Thick ice on the driveway. My shoveling FTL.

30.9F

I wait until the event is over so the snow absorbs the rain, Just did the yard here, -RN and 37 F, Little bit of snow this afternoon 1-3"/2-4" deal if we have the trough set up shop here...... :snowman:

I just checked the snowpack now that I’m in Burlington, and here at UVM there is a slight (1-2 mm) crust on the surface. It’s fairly crème brûlée as I call it, and wouldn’t be a factor for snow-related activities, but it looks like they did get a touch of mixed precipitation in this part of the Champlain Valley.

I wait until the event is over so the snow absorbs the rain, Just did the yard here, -RN and 37 F, Little bit of snow this afternoon 1-3"/2-4" deal if we have the trough set up shop here...... :snowman:

But it was light and fluffy snow. It shoveled easily and had I waited for the sleet and rain to cement-ize it it'd be a b**ch in the morning. Plus, I don't really care to get up early just for the pleasure of wearing myself out with cement removal. So, it's a catch-22. Just let me btch about it, ok? :lol: I think I'll take a spade shovel to it tonight.

5.5" Snow and ~1/4" ice

32.7° F.

Looking for 2" to 4" tonight and watching the Friday and Tuesday threat. Need 7" more to beat last winter's total, which seems like no problem at this point.

Just this morning I contemplated the same thing about last year's total, though I have quite a ways to surpass it. It is a target that I want to meet by President's Day Groundhog Day..

We had a little over 4 inches when I measured this morning so I assume it had compacted a bit. We stayed all snow however as there was no crust or signs of sleet/ fr. A quick check of the backyard showed a base now of 12 to 14 inches. the piles by the driveway are starting to get better. Where I will put the snow if we ever get more that 6 inches in a storm this year, I don't know.

After the first 5.5" of 15:1 snow (LE 0.37") we had 1.5" of stuff with nearly the same LE - 0.36". Snow went to IP about 1 AM, by 2 the temp was 28 (was 15 at 9 PM), then to zr about 4 AM, not quite 0.1" accretion though more on Mile Hill. Temp was around 32 while I was clearing the driveway (shiny new snowblower handled it just fine, better than I did as I've got a cold that makes every activity harder than it ought to be), and had dropped to 31 as I headed in to work. No problems driving, and finally had a storm with more IMBY than in AUG - they had 4-5" to my 7".

Archived