Newest Member
    joxey
Snow Bro Banter Thread

ennepe68

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wednesday March 26 2014

This afternoon north winds coming around from the back side of that monster oceanic low up in the Canadian Maritimes help keep temps and dewpoints way below normal. The high in Dale City was only 35. The dewpoint was 9. Northerly winds gusted over 40 mph.

We pulled out a 2nd day of snow cover. The day more than met criteria for a 2nd day of snowpack. We had about 40 percent areal snow coverage with snow depths ranging from 1.5 to 2.5 inches. Most of the snow was located on the north sides of sunlight blocking objects like houses but I also saw a lot of snow cover on fields and in woods. It was amazing that we pulled out a 2nd day of snowpack, particularly when you consider the time of year - late March.

The north facing lawns of homes on the Glendale Road Slope had reduced areal coverage of snow but the snow was 2 inches deep there. The Leninskaya Slope (which is located to the immediate southeast of the Minnieville Rd/Darbydale Ave Intersection) still has full areal coverage but the snow depth has fallen from 3 inches yesterday to about 1 to 2 inches today. Then I took another fun filled reverent jebwalk in Delaney Valley. Delaney Valley is located behind the Rec Center in Dale City in Minnieville Rd. I dubbed it Delaney Valley because Delaney Road runs back there in the woods. Delaney Valley had reduced areal snow cover, instead of 100 percent snow coverage they had about 60 percent. Some of the snow there was still 2 inches deep. I took a nice long jebwalk back there. I knew this would be my last snow jebwalk there, and I savored each step in the snow. There was snow all over the place down there! There was even an inch of snow on the west slopes of Minnieville Rd!

Man it was frosty COLD today! The wind made it feel like 3 degrees at times! I was in ultimate Polar Vortex heaven.

Today definitely met and even exceeded criteria for another day of areal snow coverage, with an estimated 40-50 percent areal coverage of snow due to anomalous cold temps for this time of year. The 'days of snow cover' counter will be incremented by one day, to 55 days.

----------------------------------------

Thursday March 27 2014

Last night's low was 19 degrees. Thats very low for late March. It also froze the remaining snow but good.

I could hardly believe that we still had about 7 percent areal snow cover today at 3pm, even with a high temperature of 54 degrees. it must have been because of the frozen ground brought about by last night's low of 19 degrees but it may have also been because of the low dewpoints today that were only about 20 degrees.

I took another drive today and looked at all the usual places at about 5pm. There was still about an inch of snow on the north facing lawns of the houses along the Glendale Slope. My north lawn still had an inch and a half of snow on it as of 5pm.

Much of the areal coverage of the snow of the Leninskaya Slope ha smelted but there was at least 20 percent left. It was about an inch and a half deep there. Amazing when you consider the high was 54 degrees with sunshine in late March.

What I was all stunned about today - was the fact that there was STILL snow on the Delaney Valley. I took another reverent jebwalk on Delaney Valley's west northwest slope where there was STILL 2 inches of snow in spots! I walked in it! I threw snowballs into the water in the low spots! You can see the snow covered west northwest slope of Delaney Valley from the commuter lot  north of Center Plaza.

I just could not believe I got to enjoy a THIRD jebwalk in the snow in Delaney Valley! I thought today's mid 50s temperatures would have incinerated all the snow.

That west northwest slope in Delaney Valley is a mini micro climate zone. I have noticed that when there is snow on that slope, it feels at least 20 degrees colder there. There are trees shading it. I also think that Delaney Valley experiences colder readings at night than most of the surrounding area, which is why the ground there is so cold and holds snow longer.

There was still one inch of snow on the west side of the Rec Center building too. I happily walked in it.

There was even snow on the west flank of Minnieville Road. There was snow in other parts of Delaney Valley.

There are plowed snow piles in Center Plaza in front of the Giant food store there that have been there since the Jan 21 snowstorm, TWO MONTHS!

This winter has been truly remarkable both in terms of cold and in terms of snow.

This meets the coverage criteria for yet another day.

The 'days of snow cover' counter will be incremented yet another day, to 56 days of snow cover so far this season. This will likely be that last incrementation associated with the March 25 snowstorm, but April might add more lol.

This winter just does NOT want to end! 

Friday March 28 2014

Ugh is the word for today. Somehow the snow on my north lawn managed to make it to 8am this morning but the relentless spring temps melted it then the 60s happened today. We were besieged by 67/52 conditions today. All of the areal snow cover is gone. The plowed snow piles are going fast.

Spring has arrived and severe weather season is not far behind.

I'm bummed. I miss my snow. I miss my sweet snowy Delaney Valley jebwalks.

December is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG ways away.

Friday March 28 2014

Ugh is the word for today. Somehow the snow on my north lawn managed to make it to 8am this morning but the relentless spring temps melted it then the 60s happened today. We were besieged by 67/52 conditions today. All of the areal snow cover is gone. The plowed snow piles are going fast.

Spring has arrived and severe weather season is not far behind.

I'm bummed. I miss my snow. I miss my sweet snowy Delaney Valley jebwalks.

December is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG ways away.

lol

Sunday March 30 2014

This winter is unbelievable. The ULL brought just enough cold air this afternoon to change the rain to snow.

Last night the north winds started blowing and the temps fell through the 50s into the 40s. By 1140am today it was down to 37 degrees and then sleet mixed with the rain. As the afternoon started, more sleet mixed with the rain. Then we got heavy sleet by 1240pm. It hurt as it pinged off my head as I went out for a weather reading. Then the sleet started mixing with snow! Temps fell slowly thru the 30s. By 3pm it was down to 34 as the precipitation became mostly snow. Wind gusts out of the north were laden with snow and sleet! At first the snow was all gloppy but by 320pm it had taken on a much drier character and was starting to slush up the car top. Then the temperatures fell to 32 degrees and heavy snow was whipped around by 40 mph north gusts.

By then I was visiting Delaney Valley. Nothing was sticking at that time but I was being blinded by 40 mile an hour north gusts laden with HUGE snowflakes. It was hard to believe it was March 30 as I was forced to bend nearly double against strong winds filled with heavy snow!!! 

Then the snow started to accumulate on mulch and on the grass! Two days in front of April 1 and I was looking at accumulating snow! We got about a half inch of snow on the grass, mulch and on car tops, according to several observers here in Dale City. Then the snow started to mix with sleet then with rain, then became all rain as the temperatures started to rise.

It was an excellent event. That is the latest that I have seen accumulating snow here in Dale City. I am becoming more and more of a believer in early April snow in Dale City.

Some parts of Maryland got shellacked with 6 inches or more of snow. The mountains got 8 inches plus.

This winter just does not want to end! 

Archived