• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow Bro Banter Thread

ennepe68

Do you remember what year the front occurred? I can remember some pretty impressive squalls in 85 and 87.

I think it was Feb of 85. Remember it being a day in the low 40s, and when the front came through it was like an instant white out. There was a flash freeze, and temps fell to the low 20s. Roads were an ice rink.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even after he pointed it out it took me a while too see it.

I hate watermarks but since everyone steals photos I finally caved. Now I try to make them hard to see unless you look for it. Might keep someone from cropping it out etc too.

1. I started getting into weather while I witnessed Hurricane Floyd. I just remember looking outside and seeing the wind swept rain and then boom, out go the lights. Ever since that storm, my interest in weather grew. My father was also a big hand in my love of weather and he too is a weather enthusiast. One of my earliest childhood memories is the Blizzard of 1996, so I guess I was destined to be a weenie.

2. I guess I kind of answered this question above. Hurricane Floyd really grabbed my interest. The shear magnitude of the storm and seeing the satellite picture on the weather channel while watching Jim Cantore just made me realize this was a growing passion.

3. I wouldn't consider myself an expert by any means, because I'm learning every single day. Like Meddler, I'm going to Millersville University now for my Meteorology degree. I'm in my Junior year, so I'm closing in on a degree but it's rough. Lots of studying and the math, which others have mentioned before, is very difficult. The constant derivations of meteorological based equations is staggering and this is what kills people in the end. I'm very good with numbers, but I have to work hard at these derivations. Whole different ball game math wise. All that said, I consider myself having mid range experience in meteorology and especially excel at micro-scale weather phenomena and climatology. I love seeing the differences a small region can have in predicting the weather.

4. My favorite types of weather are snow storms, lake effect, ice storms and severe weather (preferably bow-echo type storms). I'm a huge winter weather junkie, so I really love all winter weather. I do like to chase storms and I've gone out of state on multiple occasions to chase severe weather and even snow storms. That will always be a passion of mine is storm chasing.

5. This is a really tough question. I have so many favorite events of mine, it's tough to narrow it down. If I had to chose, I would say February 5-6, 2010 is one of them, then probably the New England Blizzard of February 9-10, 2013. I traveled to see that one and even skipped a day of class on a Friday to see the storm. I must say, that was a great experience and I'm glad I did it. I experienced true blizzard conditions for over 8 hours in Waltham, Mass that day and night. Ended up with 31" of snow and 8+' drifts. February 5-6, 2010 will always have a special place in my heart since it occurred while I was home and I'm sure I tracked that storm for over a week before it hit. The ferocity at which the snow fell that night was mind blowing and waking up after a nap to see all the cars in my neighborhood completely covered was staggering. That was truly a marvel. If I had to pick a severe weather event, I was in Ocean City, MD during the derecho. I sat out on the front balcony of our condo Ocean side and looked out west while following the radar and watched the leading edge of the storm approach us. The wall cloud went right over our heads and right as it passed, the winds went from light to tropical storm force in a matter of seconds. That is a moment I'll never forget. Then we all moved to back balcony away from direct winds and watched the cloud to ground lightning show over the ocean for over an hour. Took lots of video and pictures that night. Surreal 

1. How long have you been interested in the weather/meteorology?

I have worshiped snow and extreme cold since I was about 2.

2. How did you get interested?

The second I saw snow when I was a little kid I was hooked - and my family was so embarrassed. Therapists have been treating me for excessive snow enthusiasm for 30-40 years, to no avail. I am proud of my worship of snow.

3. What is your level of expertise? Do you have any education or training? Are you a professional?

I am a shameless snow weenie completely out of control. I am such a snow fanatic that I am going to make Snowciopathic Sno Bro cry with embarrassment at my utterly obsessive wintry antics lmao. No education whatsoever. I worship snow, the Polar Vortex, the thermohaline shutdown and the coming Little Ice Age in the Northern Hemisphere.

4. What are your favorite types of weather?

My favorite types of weather are: Extreme cAk airmasses with extreme high winds and torrential 6 or more inches per hour snow bands that have become semipermanent over N VA and over Washington DC. I want snow to shut down DC for three months. Sure I'm effin' snowsane. I love zero visibilities due to snowsane winds and snowsane snow rates and snowsanely tall snowdrifts. I love cold summers with frost in July and failed crops and the public pools stay closed all summer because of chilly weather from June thru August. I am snowsanely proud of the stark fact that I am completely around the bend about snow and cold - no common sense at all, even at age 50. I am going to embarrass even the snow bros to tears just by the end of March 2014.

5. What were your two favorite weather events in your lifetime?

February 19 1979 when 23 inches of snow fell in Washington DC. I was 15. I danced around like smeagle did in the volcano when he finally got his greedy hands on that golden ring! The other would be Jan 6-8 1996 when N VA got to enjoy 20 inches of snow, all while I was stuck down in Austin Texas goin' full-on Ji because I was missin' all my snow. When I got back...........................you guessed it - I was dancin on the ceiling because I was so damned excited about all that fresh snow! I took long jebwalks and I distinguished myself by shoveling anyone out of the snow who needed it, gratis.

I'm going to keep my answer short.

I've loved weather since I could see.

I absolutely love all storms. Doesn't matter. Rain, wind, snow (I hate sleet) freezing rain. Severe thunderstorms/ any thunderstorm, hurricanes, tornadoes, extreme temps. Anything but sunny and 70.

I don't really have a favorite weather event. That's like asking which one of your kids do you love the most lol.

I think it was Feb of 85. Remember it being a day in the low 40s, and when the front came through it was like an instant white out. There was a flash freeze, and temps fell to the low 20s. Roads were an ice rink.

That's the one I was thinking of. I was with my father driving home. The squall hit when we were about 5 miles from our house. It snowed so hard I had to get out of the car several times to clear off the windshield so my father could see to drive. There was no traffic on the road and it still took us 45 minutes to get home. That probably was the hardest I ever seen it snow. Close to 4 inches in less than an hour.

That's the one I was thinking of. I was with my father driving home. The squall hit when we were about 5 miles from our house. It snowed so hard I had to get out of the car several times to clear off the windshield so my father could see to drive. There was no traffic on the road and it still took us 45 minutes to get home. That probably was the hardest I ever seen it snow. Close to 4 inches in less than an hour.

Dang. I remember that. I was going with my dad to get a haircut. That was probably the hardest I've ever seen it snow also. I remember my dad saying "this is what a whiteout is". I was only 7 years old.

Dang. I remember that. I was going with my dad to get a haircut. That was probably the hardest I've ever seen it snow also. I remember my dad saying "this is what a whiteout is". I was only 7 years old.

Yes. It was a true whiteout. Sometimes we all get excited and call S+ with a slight breeze a whiteout when in actuality it's not even close to a whiteout. This particular squall was something you expect in western new york not central Maryland.

Next - Who has been in a thundersnow? How much snow did you get?

In January 1987 during a TSSN I stood outside and watched HUGE HUGE flakes pour out of the sky and pile up 6 inches in only ten minutes. It was a relatively short event, this TSSN, but it dumped about 7-9 inches in a short time, with the 6 inches in ten minutes.

In January 1987 during a TSSN I stood outside and watched HUGE HUGE flakes pour out of the sky and pile up 6 inches in only ten minutes. It was a relatively short event, this TSSN, but it dumped about 7-9 inches in a short time, with the 6 inches in ten minutes.

Lots of times. Most recently was a few weeks ago when that upper level low came through. Had a few real nice flashes of lightning. Thundersnow is one of my most loved weather events. Here's a good one. November 11, 1986. I was in 3rd grade. I remember sitting in the cafeteria during lunch. The thunder and lightning was as intense as a summer storm. I was stuck in school that day until midnight. We had 14" that day. That was one I will always remember.

3. What is your level of expertise? Do you have any education or training? Are you a professional?

=======================================

1. Since a kid. I remember noticing high alto-cumulus clouds when very young and suddenly realising there were different cloud types. That was at maybe 4 years of age - it was a distinct epiphany. In fourth grade, I took my weenie weather station to school for show and tell. I explained wet bulb/dry bulb temps, and showed off my hygrometer that used a human hair. 

2. As above, clouds. Also I saw a book in the school library on tornadoes. And getting flooded by Agnes (see #5 below). 

3. Pure weenie. No training, though I am taking a course on climate science. 

4. T-storms, tropical, convective - anything random and threatening. 

5. Being flooded in T.S. Agnes in June of 1972 (in Richmond VA at the time) (not really "favorite" since we lost our house); and any of the 24-inch+ snowstorm rippers we've had in the DC region since 1979. 

Feb 1983 was a thundersnow. First I had ever encountered. 

So, I thought I'd shake things up some , and do a bit of a poll. I'd love everyone to answer, but it would be especially great to hear from the people who have been around this joint the longest.

A little late to the party but these are great questions!  I really enjoyed reading everyone else's responses. 

1.  One of my earliest childhood memories was a weather event.  See #2.  I was hooked after that.

2.  I was very young when my family went on vacation to Disney World in Florida for the first time.  I was too young for most of the rides but I was so excited to see Mickey and Minnie and all the other Disney characters.  I cried when my parents told us that we had to leave a couple of days early because a big storm was coming.  The storm had a name ... Agnes.  I remember asking why a storm had a girl's name like Agnes and my dad explained that they named very bad storms so that everybody would know they were coming.  We got back to Maryland just as Hurricane Agnes hit Florida.  I remember the torrential downpours and howling winds when T.S. Agnes arrived in Maryland days later.  It was fascinating and terrifying at the same time.  A week or two later, we traveled to Pennsylvania where most of our relatives lived and saw the terrible damage from flooding.  We helped my Aunt and Uncle move some of their few belongings that weren't damaged by the floods into a new house. 

3.  No expertise.  I did take the NWS Skywarn Basics course and I'm a trained weather spotter.  I've picked up most of my knowledge about weather from reading CWG and visiting other weather sites. 

4. Snow, obviously, and the more, the better.  I generally prefer cold/cool weather to hot weather.  I also love late fall weather, when the temps have cooled down and the beautiful fall colors are out. 

5. The 2010 and 2003 snowstorms because I love seeing snow through my kids' eyes (and I love playing the snow myself).  Also, Hurricane Katrina ... not exactly a "favorite" because of the terrible devastation it caused but it's a weather event that made such a huge, lasting impression on me.  After following the storm in the news for weeks, I had the opportunity to spend a couple of weeks on the Mississippi Gulf Coast assisting with the recovery effort.  It was so heartwarming to meet people who traveled to Mississippi from all around the country to help strangers rebuild their lives.  It was also amazing to see how brave and resilient the Gulf Coast residents were.  I still keep in touch with some of the folks we met there. 

I got thunder sleet right at the beginning of commuttaggedon. It was a very short downpour of sleet, but was plenty to create a nice base for instant stickage of snow.

LMAO... If I see one more "it came in further west" post I think I might post something that is gonna get me banned... stop hallucinating. Please for the love of god. USE YOUR EYES!  

if it really has come this far west every model run it would be a great lakes cutter by this time! 

LMAO... If I see one more "it came in further west" post I think I might post something that is gonna get me banned... stop hallucinating. Please for the love of god. USE YOUR EYES!  

if it really has come this far west every model run it would be a great lakes cutter by this time! 

The problem is we don't report runs that go farther east, so it's as though it's just going west! We snow bros ignore any signs of busts until the last moment, when we cry in our beds waiting for this cruel world to give us another snow storm.

This storm has been long dead. The models have been remarkably consistent with respect to track so far. 

Archived