• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow Bro Banter Thread

ennepe68

1. How long have you been interested in the weather/meteorology?

Since I was a kid. Grew up in SW FL. Awesome place for thunderstorms and waterspouts. Did not experience snow until I moved to Atlanta (1993).

2. How did you get interested?

I love extremes and records. I spent way too much time with my Guinness Book of World Records as a kid and then The USA Today Weather Almanac (1995) as a young adult. Also, before moving to the DC area I was on one of the few flights to land at IAD on Jan 7th 1996. The next couple of days were glorious. Made me love snow.

3. What is your level of expertise? Do you have any education or training? Are you a professional?

Rank amateur, but I enjoy reading about and attempting to understand some of the technical stuff. May finally pull the trigger and buy that big ole Kocin book. 

4. What are your favorite types of weather?

Whatever is happening outside, though if forced to pick thunderstorms.

5. What were your two favorite weather events in your lifetime?

* Any thunderstorm

* Feb 10, 2010 blizzard - 

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weather...18 years. Meteorology...23 years. 

I heard the pay was pretty good. 

3. What is your level of expertise? Do you have any education or training? Are you a professional?

I am a Weather Wizard. 

There are different types? 

The Northeast United States Drought (1999). 700/1B

Kentucky Flood (1997). 33/500M

LMAO... If I see one more "it came in further west" post I think I might post something that is gonna get me banned... stop hallucinating. Please for the love of god. USE YOUR EYES!  

if it really has come this far west every model run it would be a great lakes cutter by this time!

Trying to be positive. No need to be a little ***** about it.

While waiting for more favorable developments, I'll take the poll.

1. Loved snow all my life, interested in weather more recently.

2. Reading CWG.

3. Beginner.

4. Snow, storms of all types (with apologies to my dog).

5. Blizzard of 1978 (Boston), Snowpocalypse of 2010.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Belles -you & I have to talk at the party! Love to hear your stories about '78. I was in New Hampshire for '78 storm working as a reporter. Luckily it only took 2 people to pull my VW out of a snowdrift.

Since I was about 7-8.

Loved snow as a kid growing up in New England, especially loved being in the woods during snowstorms. It was so silent and beautiful. Got a kick out of covering weather stories as a wire service reporter when whiteouts would shut down Route 95 in Aroostook County Maine (basically, the northern half of the state). Perpetually amused at all the drivers in the DC area who have BALD TIRES and can't understand why they can't drive on snow and ice.

Novice trying to learn on the CWG site. No & No.

Snow, snow & more snow, although I am fascinated by thunderstorms.

Back to back snowstorms Jan 22-Jan 29, 1987 & February 2010 Snowmageddon? & blizzard that followed. They were whoppers! Close third would be the Blizzard of '78

So, I thought I'd shake things up some , and do a bit of a poll. I'd love everyone to answer, but it would be especially great to hear from the people who have been around this joint the longest.

I will kick us off.

1. I have been fascinated by the weather since I was a little kid, and would always get really excited about all of the different ways it presented, but I didn't really start getting in to the intricacies of it until 2007 or so.

2. I probably got interested initially after getting home from a trip to Disney World in elementary school and discovering that the world was COVERED in ice. I could ice skate on my driveway. I went "this is so weird and interesting, I didn't know that the world could do this". 

3.Minimal expertise. I took an oceanography class in college, which focused a good deal on climate and weather, but most of that was summer weather patterns. Thus, most of what I know deals with summer storms, especially hurricanes. I'm pretty new to the science of winter storms, and most of my knowledge comes from reading every single CWG article and all of the comments, and reading every article I can find online.

4. I love snow, obviously. And I love great big crazy summer thunderstorms. And I love extreme, out of the norm weather events; things that are just really impressive and intense, things that are super rare, and things that may be common in other places but are really rare for this region. 

5. Snowpocalypse and the Derecho. That ice storm coming in third. 

Look forward to hearing other responses!

a/s/l?

My son had a Bday this week, I reminded him that in 3 years he will be half my age....then it is all downhill from there! hahaha

I will be half my mother's age this November. I think she is far more concerned about it than I am. I'm just like "Why don't we go to Scotland to celebrate this once in a lifetime experience?"

For some reason, she isn't taking my suggestion seriously.

I've come to terms that this storm isn't ours. It's been a great season as is. We may have to become the thunderbros here soon. I'm so looking forward to thunderstorm season.

And perhaps tornado bros, if this "spring" turns out like there is some suspicion it might.

Archived