• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/6-3/7 Last Hurrah Obs

Hvward

Thank God for generators. After Jan 2000 splurged and it saved the day, actually 7 days in December 2002. Timber took a major beating. Had milkshakes fallen from the sky earlier this morning. Going back to read and catch up since this is the first chance I've had to get on since last night. We have serious flooding going on well over 3 inches of Qpf. What a storm. Had it been a degree colder up top or God forbid at the surface then I wouldn't have words to describe what it would be like here. Stayed at 32 from 1100 last night to about 1100 this morning. Biggest ice storm by leaps and bounds since December 2002. Hope everyone fared ok and finds a way to stay warm tonight.

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One more thing before I have turn off the generator tonight. We are approaching 12 months of unbelievable wetness. Minus about a 6 week dry stretch this fall, it's unreal how much moisture we have had. With potential El Niño approaching this summer into next winter those years of constant dry stretches are becoming a nice distant memory.

In Charlotte, mid-1980s, I witnessed 2" of sleet in a storm. Nothing but sleet.

Can't imagine more sleet than that. A few years later... Raleigh had a 5" sleet storm,

best of my recollection. In a way.. better than snow! Anybody remember that???

I've got about 2" of pure sleet, plus probably a half-inch of freezing rain (and a coating of snow).

We're going to run the generator for a few more hours until we shut it ouf for the night. NCSNOW, it also saved the day for us in December 2002 as we were without power for seven days.

This is certainly the worst ice storm since December 2002 and is in some ways worse than that one here in the immediate Triad, except temperatures were a lot colder then, so those without power were legitimately freezing.

I guess one good thing about after this storm its not freezing cold outside.

But its going to be another one of those strange days in NC with the temps abnormal.

Temps were colder at and past 12am this morning then what they will be at 1159 tonight. Temps about 39 atm and still feels like its warming.

Got a threeway splitter at my house in Greensboro!!attachicon.gifIMG_20140307_080940_195.jpg

Looks like a Bradford Pear. Worst tree on earth. Literally explodes after 20 years.

In Charlotte, mid-1980s, I witnessed 2" of sleet in a storm.  Nothing but sleet.

Can't imagine more sleet than that.  A few years later... Raleigh had a 5" sleet storm,

best of my recollection.  In a way.. better than snow!  Anybody remember that???

Probably the best sledding of my life.  We cursed the plows when they came through a few days later.

I remember the one you mentioned for Raleigh. I was in Sanford and we had 6" of pure sleet. My favorite storm. It sleeted hard for at least 24 hours. It took forever that melt.

In Charlotte, mid-1980s, I witnessed 2" of sleet in a storm.  Nothing but sleet.

Can't imagine more sleet than that.  A few years later... Raleigh had a 5" sleet storm,

best of my recollection.  In a way.. better than snow!  Anybody remember that???

I've checked on all my neighbors who are without power.  Don't know how we've managed to be so lucky to keep power.  And, no, I'm not loaning out my Honda EU3000iS.

Lost power for two weeks twice in Charlotte.  Hugo and icestorm (2002?).

After Hugo... a neighbor stuffed a hundred in my pocket for power from an extension cord.

Kinda like a drug deal (shhhsh).  I was the last on my block to get power after the second week.  This was 

early the next morn.  He didn't get power for 5 more days.

Didn't keep the money..  Conceived my daughter that week.

Hugo is my closest experience to "desperation"... and "community".  Ice storm very close second. 

Got to know all the neighbors during both events.  'Best times', my estimation, of our lives.

Got about 2.9 inches of rain outside of the sleet/freezing rain/snow since yesterday evening.  There were a ton of accidents on the roads this morning.  The roads LOOKED fine, but that clear slush everywhere is what did it.  It kept the rain from running off the roads and created a some bad hydroplaning when the rain was heavy.

1.49 inches of liquid equivalent for this system IMBY.  About 1.5 inches of snow and 0.5 inches of sleet, according to my wife, as I was out of town in Rockingham, NC.  Lots of heavy rainfall there, but nothing wintry.  On Friday afternoon, I drove back via I-73/74 up to Asheboro, then via US-64 through Lexington and Mocksville, and finally back to Hickory via I-40.  It was quite amazing how the scenery would change just mile to mile.  Lots of icing as I drove into Asheboro, then hardly anything until Lexington where power was out all over, then nothing until I got into Mocksville.  By the time I got back to Hickory, all the snow had melted here with the sun out and 50+ F outside.  Crazy differences in microclimates!

Yeah, I got the same estimate. I think it's just a blanket estimate.

Yeah. Duke energy is starting to update estimates on each outage when you zoom in on their interactive map. The latest estimate for my neighborhood is Monday by 8:00 pm. I'm starting to wonder if Randolph, Alamance, Guilford, and Davidson might have to cancel school on Monday. I guess it depends on how much progress they make between now and Monday morning.

Midweek is the estimate here. It's a total mess. I went to Greensboro today and was surprised about the amount of sleet and snow still on the ground. Here it was all freezing rain at the height of the storm. The ground never turned white. That's what ended up doing us in. My backyard looks like a tornado went through. My trees actually made it through the night. About 7am I looked out and nothing had fallen at all. I let my dogs out. Five minutes later, a loud crack and the first branch came down and sent my dogs running for the house. For the next four hours it was one after another. Neighbors lost several huge trees that toppled across the road. Around noon the melting began in earnest. Sun came out at 4 and by six most all the ice was off of the trees.

In any case, I won't be posting much for a few days. Posting this from my iPad, so please excuse any typing or auto correct errors.

Midweek is the estimate here. It's a total mess. I went to Greensboro today and was surprised about the amount of sleet and snow still on the ground. Here it was all freezing rain at the height of the storm. The ground never turned white. That's what ended up doing us in. My backyard looks like a tornado went through. My trees actually made it through the night. About 7am I looked out and nothing had fallen at all. I let my dogs out. Five minutes later, a loud crack and the first branch came down and sent my dogs running for the house. For the next four hours it was one after another. Neighbors lost several huge trees that toppled across the road. Around noon the melting began in earnest. Sun came out at 4 and by six most all the ice was off of the trees.

In any case, I won't be posting much for a few days. Posting this from my iPad, so please excuse any typing or auto correct errors.

I've been moping a little cause I missed winters last gasp! After hearing the nightmares about the tree damage and power outages, I'm glad I missed out! Although I wish nature would take out this Bradford pear in my front yard, lol! It survived the 02,and 05 ice storms without losing nary a branch! I can't just cut it down

Mack, I don't think I've seen a Bradford Pear that wasn't damaged here yet. The 2" IP definitely saved us here, though we still ended up with roughly 1/2" of freezing rain.

What is irritating is the block across the main street never lost power and the neighborhood just adjacent to us got theirs back on today, but it's still out here. I'd like to think that means we should have ours restored here soon, but personal experience has told me that isn't necessarily the case.

Yeah Superjames thats what saved us here was the sleet. Didn't see many bradford pear trees damage. But what fell around here were pines. I did notice yesterday there was a big pine about a foot+ diameter crash into a doctors office. The power outages around here were mainly caused by pines Im assuming. The oaks held pretty well other than dead branches. Did notice yesterday several dead cables laying across the roads think they were low voltage and communications cables. 

But that was the most freezing rain in several several years like 02 or 03. If it weren't for the sleet things would have been catastrophic since basically the worse of the deformation band parked right over this area. I'm just thankful that temps were not in the mid 20s. Probably be months before the power would be restored if it was that low

Might as well say 3-4" worth of rain fell and would have been a hellish sight if all zr.

It was something else too today. Sleet pack out the ying yang with temps around 60. There a couple times I thought about putting on shorts.

Yeah Superjames thats what saved us here was the sleet. Didn't see many bradford pear trees damage. But what fell around here were pines. I did notice yesterday there was a big pine about a foot+ diameter crash into a doctors office. The power outages around here were mainly caused by pines Im assuming. The oaks held pretty well other than dead branches. Did notice yesterday several dead cables laying across the roads think they were low voltage and communications cables.

But that was the most freezing rain in several several years like 02 or 03. If it weren't for the sleet things would have been catastrophic since basically the worse of the deformation band parked right over this area. I'm just thankful that temps were not in the mid 20s. Probably be months before the power would be restored if it was that low

Might as well say 3-4" worth of rain fell and would have been a hellish sight if all zr.

It was something else too today. Sleet pack out the ying yang with temps around 60. There a couple times I thought about putting on shorts.

A side note, Clarkesville train station was up and running! Yesterday they did 140 customers ! The homestead was closed and another restaurant they named. Their house has no power, but they are dedicated to that restaurant ! Hoping for a speedy return to power for all

I'm sure they did some business. Today looks like some progress being made to the west side of town and north and south.The hotels around here a full as well and fast food places.

Mack your sis lives here why dont you move to Roxboro, Timberlake, Hurdle Mills, Rougemont or somewhere along the VA border.

Find work in Mebane to RTP.  Rouge. to Durham is like 15-20 mins depending on how the lights catch you. Roxboro its self about 30. Further north about hour or little longer.

You will like the weather overall and if you  have no job present to you in those areas your sis can put you to work.

I'm sure they did some business. Today looks like some progress being made to the west side of town and north.The hotels around here a full as well and fast food places.

Mack your sis lives here why dont you move to Roxboro, Timberlake, Hurdle Mills, Rougemont or somewhere along the VA border.

Find work in Mebane to RTP. Rouge. to Durham is like 15-20 mins depending on how the lights catch you. Roxboro its self about 30. Further north about hour or little longer.

You will like the weather overall and if you have no job present to you in those areas your sis can put you to work.

True! I don't know why? I've said before they are the snow capital of NC outside the mtns. And they have some pretty good t-storms as well. Her address is Timberlake , she lives on the road that ends across from palace point ! I'm currently unemployed, but have a background in manufacturing. Don't know if they have alot of that around there? Don't think I could handle restaurant work, lol! Plus, I don't know how close the nearest carpfishing paylake is? That's a pre requisite! She texted me a minute ago and they've already served 200 people!

Archived