joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/6-3/7 Last Hurrah Obs

Hvward

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did Buncombe not even have a delay this morning? Looks like I'm back to just normal rain here

man all we had was some snow last night about 6 it was snowing heavily and then it changed to rain and snow and that is all we had all night other than a little snow this morning which didn't amount to anything.  thought Buncombe would have at the very least 2 or 3 inches and maybe even 6.  what a no show.  this would have made me happy until next winter.  I know we've had snow later than this even in April but climo says we are running out of time if we haven't already.   :axe::cry:

Edit.  Kudos to all you guys who stuck with that we weren't going to get much snow out of this system.  great job to you guys.  I just thought once the snow started last night the temp would fall to the upper 20's.  but never happend it rose from 34 to 36.

Lets have a convo about whether or not the cold can remain in place across the immediate triad north? If so, this could go on for hours! So what feature is expected to develop and switch us to rain? Warm nose only goes back to sleet. Thoughts?

Its possible it get above freezing 33-35 later. But I agree I don't see this letting up anytime soon. Even if cold rain is mixed it. The 850 line looks like its trying to make progress south and east along the mountains, East sections in VA. There is also a cold pocket over GA.

So it maybe possible the warm nose is trying to errode and heavy wet snow with the ULL develops.

Its possible it get above freezing 33-35 later. But I agree I don't see this letting up anytime soon. Even if cold rain is mixed it. The 850 line looks like its trying to make progress south and east along the mountains, East sections in VA. There is also a cold pocket over GA.

So it maybe possible the warm nose is trying to errode and heavy wet snow with the ULL develops.

If this keeps up I'm going to end up with a foot of snow.haha

Ok, looking at radar our cold air is getting the squeeze. I just happen to be in the rigt spot....temporarily. james has switched and as i am typing this my snow rate just decreased 80%. Our friend in Reidsville may indeed be the sweetspot as the cold air pulls out. Highest totals ive seen yet was the pic from Basset earlier today around 6". Anyone topping that?

Ok, looking at radar our cold air is getting the squeeze. I just happen to be in the rigt spot....temporarily. james has switched and as i am typing this my snow rate just decreased 80%. Our friend in Reidsville may indeed be the sweetspot as the cold air pulls out. Highest totals ive seen yet was the pic from Basset earlier today around 6". Anyone topping that?

I'm closing in on that right now.

Things are melting within 10ft off the ground. Major ice accumulation ongoing above that point. Every friend I've talked to in Alamance, Orange and northern Durham counties are out of power with trees crashing in the wind gusts. Ground is so saturated and with the extra ice weight...

Things are melting within 10ft off the ground. Major ice accumulation ongoing above that point. Every friend I've talked to in Alamance, Orange and northern Durham counties are out of power with trees crashing in the wind gusts. Ground is so saturated and with the extra ice weight...

yikes, great report, saw a report 3NE Busick McDowell Co of 10 inches

Talked to dad in Greensboro, just a tick NW of PTI and they have power. He said they have about an inch or two of snow/sleet with snow/sleet still falling. Glazing on the trees.

Talked to mom in Burlington, right at I-40, about 4-5 miles from the Guilford Co. line and they have power too. But she said there are lots of large branches down and a couple of trees split. Cable is out and ice on everything.

In downtown Raleigh, we have steady light rain and a temp in the mid 30s.

Archived