Newest Member
    joxey
3/6-3/7 Last Hurrah Obs

Hvward

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Phil!

GSO is down to 30F as of 1 AM... the coldest yet.

Good to hear you changed over to snow, norcarolinian!  I just hope it's not another 10 miles away event for me... haha.  It's still primarily sleet here with a little snow mixed in, but it's coming down good.  The yard looks pretty cool.  It's just white with grass poking up, which is glazed with ice.

Someone wrecked by my road and hit a power line pole. No power for me.

Ugh, that sucks.  That happened with me last year with the 1/17/2013 ULL snowstorm.  You can't see the snow when there's no lights (not to mention the other problems power losses bring...). :(  Hopefully, it comes on soon.

BTW, more snow is now mixing in.  Hmm...

Good to hear you changed over to snow, norcarolinian!  I just hope it's not another 10 miles away event for me... haha.  It's still primarily sleet here with a little snow mixed in, but it's coming down good.  The yard looks pretty cool.  It's just white with grass poking up, which is glazed with ice.

yeah I can go to bed happy now ... back up at 6 to see if i can go to work, blah ... Van Denton posted some pics on Facebook he took when he drove from High Point thru Oak Ridge to Stokesdale and back; he talked about the different conditions the further north on 68 you go ...

Ugh, that sucks.  That happened with me last year with the 1/17/2013 ULL snowstorm.  You can't see the snow when there's no lights (not to mention the other problems power losses bring...). :(  Hopefully, it comes on soon.

BTW, more snow is now mixing in.  Hmm...

Yeah I can't see much at all outside right now, But it did take a little bit for it to change over so you should be all snow fairly soon!

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BLACKSBURG VA

1117 PM EST THU MAR 6 2014

NCZ003>006-019-020-VAZ017-032-033-043-044-058-070830-

SURRY-STOKES-ROCKINGHAM-CASWELL-WILKES-YADKIN-FLOYD-PATRICK-

FRANKLIN-HENRY-PITTSYLVANIA-HALIFAX-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...DOBSON...DANBURY...EDEN...YANCEYVILLE...

WILKESBORO...YADKINVILLE...FLOYD...STUART...ROCKY MOUNT...

MARTINSVILLE...DANVILLE...SOUTH BOSTON

1117 PM EST THU MAR 6 2014

...BAND OF MODERATE SLEET AND SNOW WILL CONTINUE OVERNIGHT...

AREAS OF SLEET...WITH SOME SNOW...WILL CONTINUE TO FALL INTO THE

OVERNIGHT HOURS AND ACCUMULATE ON ROADS. OVER THE NEXT FEW

HOURS...PRECIPITATION WILL CHANGE TO ALL SLEET. ROAD CONDITIONS

WILL CONTINUE TO DETERIORATE TONIGHT.

Fwiw

The last few runs of HRRR show over the next few hours precip slowly be shuting off SW to NE fashion East of Raleigh. While most of the day tomorrow Raleigh west in a SW to NE fashion is still getting precip.

If the precip maps are creditable it still shows snow/sleet most of the day in areas where cold is fully in place.

The accumulated snowfall maps which are very laughable because it wont happen.

Show the triad areas and along the VA border between 12-38"

That ULL is closed off. So you're probably under its influence aloft. Hopefully that will keep the band going through the middle of the state and help cool off the atmosphere to mix out this sleet into a heavy wet paste snow.

Ya hopefully so. Looks promising at the moment. Good luck to yall down east. This has been a very interesting storm up here.

Based on what I hear hitting the window it sounds like its mostly sleet now

Yeah, I seem to be back to all-sleet now here, too, though it's coming down hard.  This has been a real wintry mix.  I've seen everything and it's flipping back and forth all the time (though I haven't seen ZR in a couple hours now).

Busick, what is your location?  I can assume it's not Fort Bragg, NC given your OBS.

Archived