• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
March 2-4 Snowstorm Potential Part 3

Sickman

Well you were Def right on about not adding all the .1 crud to snow totals etc. Was never Gona add up. But Friday nite the dry Ukie was .65 nyc .85 Monmouth. 0z gfs was .5 nyc. .8 Monmouth. Sat 12z. Srefs were .5 to .75. And the euro. The nam at 12 sat was the first real .25 in nyc. Then it blew up from there.

So I stand by 48 hours. But we are arguing over nada

Hang around modeling long enough and if one data point changes the entire solution changes.

The GFS from like Tues to Thurs was showing 12+ almost every run..Than the wheels starting falling off.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand the bust talk, models had shifted south of NYC 48 hours ago...

Yesterdays Euro at 12z  that`s  .6 in QPF from Trenton East to Monmouth County . ( Warning Criteria ) .

That's just 24 hours ago . Now N of 195 you`re lucky if 2 inches accumulate .

I love the Euro but even great models with great physics break down . Yes once to Friday nite after 5 straight days the 10 -15 inches that was on the GFS and the GGEM came off the board , there were still models S of NYC printing out a Mod storm thru 12z yesterday .  Is it a huge bust , prob not , a big deal , prob not . But clearly not the best work of handling the speed and depth of the split flow inside 72 hours .

If you want to know the talk on the board Fri AM the rumblings were this was going to come so far N that P type was going to be an issue .

post-7472-0-32949700-1393810296_thumb.pn

The storm is underperforming everywhere it seems...the radar looks great over Missouri, Illinois and southern Indiana but for the most part everyone is only 2-3 miles in light snow.

Yeah I noticed warnings being dropped for places like KC where they were expecting 6-8 and got <2

Radar does look good for anyone south of the M/D line

I think it's not even close to a bust because of this..... Yes GFS and euro still showed 4-8" of snow verbatim 36-48 hours out but you can't take a model verbatim when it's trending, so yes it was still showing snow but as early as Friday morning many people had a strong feeling this would trend to much less snow for us.. Many of us said watch this trend to flurries..

I think it's not even close to a bust because of this..... Yes GFS and euro still showed 4-8" of snow verbatim 36-48 hours out but you can't take a model verbatim when it's trending, so yes it was still showing snow but as early as Friday morning many people had a strong feeling this would trend to much less snow for us.. Many of us said watch this trend to flurries..

You win.  And I mean that with all due respect and seriousness.  Well done.

Rule of thumb-when the GFS shows nothing 4 days prior to an event in NYC-expect a hit  Worked the other way this go around-big hit for days and then bails 3-4 days prior to the event.

Bailed 2 days before Just cut back a little 3 days.. 4 days ago it was showing 12+ most of the tri state. 

Mt. Holly just caved, dropping the warnings from Mercer/Monmouth (now advisories for 2-4" and dropping the advisories north of there (1-2"). Pretty soon, I'll just be getting flurries.

NWS-NYC did the same, dropping all advisories. Maybe 1-2" at best.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/phi/

quite frankly about freekin timeeeeeeeeeee! Upton stuck out and badly with the handeling ofstorm - with all due respect gentelemen , this should have happened 12 hours when it wa quite clear where this was heading. people r watching oscars now & will think WWA r still in effect for 6 inches!

quite frankly about freekin timeeeeeeeeeee! Upton stuck out and badly with the handeling ofstorm - with all due respect gentelemen , this should have happened 12 hours when it wa quite clear where this was heading. people r watching oscars now & will think WWA r still in effect for 6 inches!

Exactly I'm getting tired of answering will we have school tomorrow to this second.. I'm saying yes! And they are like but the weatherbug said 4-6" this morning. I say ya 4-6 flurries.. Guess where weatherbug gets there data.. upton!! This can all be avoided with the weather service updating there forecast exactly when we all know what the forecasts is. Millions of people have weatherbug on there phones! Irresponsible

Hate to say I told you so but I have to say it. When the 12z GFS shifted way south on Friday in one run I knew this wasn't going to end well. People need to stop assuming that the models will always shift back north at the last minute.

Lol

Hate to say I told you so but I have to say it. When the 12z GFS shifted way south on Friday in one run I knew this wasn't going to end well. People need to stop assuming that the models will always shift back north at the last minute.

Lol you did not say that stop

Lol wow this backs my point nicely. Is this real did governor Christie order a state of emergency for New Jersey for "all new jerseyans to please stay off the roads for heavy snow and hazardous travel tonight" even the governor still thinks it's going to snow because he is going off the nws forecast from this afternoon, and all state offices are closed Monday.. For flurries !! I'm so happy he did this it really shows something needs to be done with NWS

Didn't you post "winter cancel" several months back complete with a Robin Redbreast avatar?

Archived