EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
March 2-4 Snowstorm Potential Part 3

Sickman

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a bust if you forecast 6-12" and got nothing whether it be 4 days out or 1.

I disagree with this statement.  If you're forecasting amounts 4 days out, that is more modelology than meteorology.  I would think that even most amateurs know that forecasting amounts that far out is risky.  

01-02 was the worst for me...88-89 was pretty crappy as a kid too.

01-02 as a whole had more chances than 11-12 did, 11-12 was almost no snow chances ever, I believe one storm in February missed us over VA and NC....01-02 there was a few close calls such as 1/6 where they got destroyed in NE PA and the Hudson Valley and we were 35 and rain.

01-02 was the worst for me...88-89 was pretty crappy as a kid too.

Talk about busts..in 89 I was teaching in Jackson, living n Woodbridge. Schools gets canceled for a storm and I never saw a flake or even clouds. It was forecast but apparently a northwest wind suppressed it to AC. Didn't get a snow day again until March 93.

01-02 as a whole had more chances than 11-12 did, 11-12 was almost no snow chances ever, I believe one storm in February missed us over VA and NC....01-02 there was a few close calls such as 1/6 where they got destroyed in NE PA and the Hudson Valley and we were 35 and rain.

Id rather have no shot at getting snow than watching people an hour away get crushed lol

Its not a bust if you belieced the trends....4 day away model runs are not forecasts and should not be hugged...the trends kept cutting back qpf as he got closer....how is that busting.....people chose to ignore those trends and go with snowier totals and nws was afraid to jump

This is true. Many, many forecasts were based on the assumption that it would head back north

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Id rather have no shot at getting snow than watching people an hour away get crushed lol

This is exactly what I had said too. At least with this storm.....even those 3 hours away are still just getting barely above a few inches anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talk about busts..in 89 I was teaching in Jackson, living n Woodbridge. Schools gets canceled for a storm and I never saw a flake or even clouds. It was forecast but apparently a northwest wind suppressed it to AC. Didn't get a snow day again until March 93.

Damn, youre old.

:lol: i remember something similar but later...maybe 97? We were supposed to end up with a 2 part storm (maybe in a way similar to tonight/tmrw) and it completely fizzled. I was a weenie by that point but wasnt a member of any of the original chatrooms or anything like that.

we had a good amount of coastals but the nino overpowered canada with pac warmth

09-10 was a whisker away from being 97-98...it was barely cold enough and I mean barely for almost every snow event, the location of the warmer SSTs in the Pac was also more favorable but alot of people do not realize how close 09-10 was to being a disaster...if we didnt have the -NAO it may have been.

Damn, youre old.

:lol: i remember something similar but later...maybe 97? We were supposed to end up with a 2 part storm (maybe in a way similar to tonight/tmrw) and it completely fizzled. I was a weenie by that point but wasnt a member of any of the original chatrooms or anything like that.

Old enough to remember lots of 70 degree days in March in the 80's and flounder fishing in the Navesink the last week of Feb. And to have seen lots of March storms fizzle.

09-10 was a whisker away from being 97-98...it was barely cold enough and I mean barely for almost every snow event, the location of the warmer SSTs in the Pac was also more favorable but alot of people do not realize how close 09-10 was to being a disaster...if we didnt have the -NAO it may have been.

2/25/10 could have been 3' for nyc if it was a few degrees cooler

1972-73 is still the worst winter in my lifetime...The only real snowfall was a 1.8" event that started as heavy rain and ended as snow...It melted fast...2.8" for the season...Philadelphia got only a trace for a few days...1988-89 was another bad year but it did have two significant snowfalls...1991-92 would be in the top five worse if it wasn't for two late March snowfalls...1997-98 had only a half inch until March 22nd when 2-5" fell after some rain...2001-02 did have a snowfall in January but only 3.5" for the season...2011-12 was bad also but the October snowstorm and January snowfall kept it from the worst...1996-97's 10"  felt like the worst coming after 1995-96's 76"...

we've seen far more snowy winters than duds recently though. it's not like we're hoping to break average with this storm

this would have certainly helped reach number one, which makes it sting a bit more than it usually would

Edit

i didn't know 1996 had a storm on march 2...so yea,it would have helped more than i even thought

This storm was only a bust for anyone that still has a handful of straws between their fingers.

And this isn't even on the same planet as the 3-5-01 debacle.

I have no clue how people are comparing this bust to the 2001 bust. In that storm, I was forecasted to received 2-3 feet of snow. I received 5 inches.

warm nasty windy rains, almost tropical. they are talking an el nino next year, so be glad we got snow this year it might be a few years.

Any El nino next winter will be weak, the ENSO models as of now at worst show +1 which is not terribly strong, they are fairly good these days and most are closer to 0,5C I think its a weak nino at best and may not even be that, could be another Nada.

This storm was only a bust for anyone that still has a handful of straws between their fingers.

And this isn't even on the same planet as the 3-5-01 debacle.

I was visiting my mother yesterday and she showed me an ad she received in the mail using a photo of her house to try and sell her something or other.  I got a good chuckle out of the date of the photo:

post-290-0-55507900-1393821259_thumb.jpg

I know this won't pacify most on this board, but March '01 is still the biggest March snowstorm of the past 45+ years in Smithtown.  It wasn't so big at my mother's location, but still significant.

I have no idea who took that photo or why, but glad they chose that day to take it.

Archived