• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 2-4 Snowstorm Potential Part 3

Sickman

One thing most of us can be thankful for is that most of the light to moderate precip that is being progged is going to fall overnight and/or before 8 am, when the indirect sunlight will start doing its job. So, where 0.3" of QPF falls over 8 hours, 3-4" of snow will actually accumulate given temps below freezing. If we were getting only 1/4" of snow per hour during the day, much of it would simply melt.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based off of guidance so far today.

Probabilities of snow at KNYC - per me

As I said previously said to you .thank you for the PBP but you have to include all areas in this forum; not just yours and NYC. Thanks for your effort

> 1" = 85%

> 2" = 75%

> 3" = 50%

> 4" = 30%

> 5" = 10%

> 6" = 5%

> 7" = < 2%

If we were getting one batch producing the .3 or .4 liquid equivalent i would think the accumulations would verifiy , I dont think will see 4 inches north of southern middlesex county with just light snow in the first batch and barely light snow in the second batch.

No, most of the snow is falling at nighttime when it's dark so the sun angle won't be an issue for accumulation, and temps will be in the low to mid 20's so they certainly won't be an issue.  I'm expecting about 3-5".

With that strong surface High off the SE coast, one would think that the surface low would move further NE as opposed to ENE. Naturally the low will move toward areas of relatively lower pressure, and the lowest pressures I see are NE not, east or ENE of the low pressure center...

Agree, however looking at upper level wind flow at 300mb and 500mb(west/west-southwest) it's going to be hard to pull this any further north.

Folks... 25-30 miles makes for huge differences. All bets are off.

Some weenieizm has to come out..LOL

Too close for anything. If the storm comes slightly more north, NYC will see more snow. There is going to be a tight gradient from Staten Island to Manhattan.

Based off of guidance so far today.

Probabilities of snow at KNYC - per me

As I said previously said to you .thank you for the PBP but you have to include all areas in this forum; not just yours and NYC. Thanks for your effort

> 1" = 85%

> 2" = 75%

> 3" = 50%

> 4" = 30%

> 5" = 10%

> 6" = 5%

> 7" = < 2%

I specifically game my opinion for Central Park, I don't have time to do a total breakdown for each site today. Sorry.

No, most of the snow is falling at nighttime when it's dark so the sun angle won't be an issue for accumulation, and temps will be in the low to mid 20's so they certainly won't be an issue. I'm expecting about 3-5".

Not if it's light and strung out.. Flurries and light snow never accumulate like that. You need steady snow.. It will melt on roads do to traffic and treatment

Not if it's light and strung out.. Flurries and light snow never accumulate like that. You need steady snow.. It will melt on roads do to traffic and treatment

I never said anything about the roads...just talking about non-paved surfaces.  Light snow can certainly accumulate if temps are cold enough.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/viewsector.php?sector=19#

Precipitation Potential Placement

Precipitation Potential Placement is a derived parameter combining precipitable water and low-level mean RH to help better place where rainfall will occur. Research has been published in the National Weather Association Digest in 2003 and stems from research and operational use of this product originally developed at NESDIS and Rod Scofield for satellite rainfall estimates dating back to 1981. 

Rainfall is usually maximized where the best low level convergence and instability overlay with the highest values for this parameter. 

The risk for heavy rainfall increases as values go up. Additionally, thresholds for precipitation also change based on temperatures. Onset of rainfall ranges from around 0.3 inches with temperatures below 30 to 1.0 inches above 80. Values above 1.0-1.4 inches with temperatures below 60 usually increase the risk for heavy rainfall while values above 1.6-2.0 inches increase the risk for heavy rainfall events with temperatures above 60.

For more information, see: 
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ffc/research/finalPP2.htm

You almost get the feeling that mother nature is trolling all the snow weenies with storms like these. On a more serious note, this storm can be sneakily dangerous tomorrow morning even with only a few inches.

Temperatures will be well below freezing, the snow is falling at night so it will accumulate everywhere and the morning commute could be quite dangerous. When people see that it's only a few inches, they sometimes drive like it's dry and sunny only to realize the roads are a lot more icy and slippery than they think. These misconceptions are what often leads to major accidents and fatalities. 

NWS-NYC just updated their snow map. Really hard to tell if there are any changes - looks the same with 2-4" in most locations and 4-6" in southern portions of their area. For some reason I can't paste the image into the post - link below...

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/StormTotalPrecip/StormTotalSnowFcst.png

NWS-NYC just updated their snow map. Really hard to tell if there are any changes - looks the same with 2-4" in most locations and 4-6" in southern portions of their area. For some reason I can't paste the image into the post - link below...

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/StormTotalPrecip/StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Can you post the image for the rest of NJ?

Archived