• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 2-4 Snowstorm Potential Part 3

Sickman

Does anybody have any thoughts on how this low pressure over Hudson Bay may interact with / influence the PV lobe?

noaa.gif

That's part of the PV suppressing the storm track further south since last Wednesday as the HP undernrath

got shunted too far south.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has been a fun one to track hasn't it?  If you're right, and I think you have been all along, it looks like the moisture is farther north at this point than it was supposed to be, the HP sitting off the SE coast will keep it moving north/northeast rather than east and out to sea and the cold push will drop in behind rather than on top and keep a conveyor belt of GOM moisture going rather than squash the whole mess to the south of us.  Am I reading you right?

B)

I was speaking of this storm specifically based on the latest guidance.  i95 looks like a decent dividing line of where the heavier accums will setup (south of there) to being fringed (north of there)

Probably around Monroe or Monmouth Junction, will see actual snow... I think we see a lot of light mess and not much accum in Woodbridge area. We do not do well here if the locus of the storm is north or south by much. We don't even top out when in the bullseye for some reason...it's usually Rahway or Metuchen. But we have had a lot of decent snow this year. Can't win em all and some winters every storm does this.

I must admit, the graphics you posted Doorman, in addition to the current setup of features as per my latest look on SPC, look more interesting than what recent model runs would lead one to believe...

Judging by WV, the PV also seems to be weaker on its southeastern side than what the 6z GFS depicted...I will be keeping an eye on the deeper convection moving through central Indiana, and shortly, thereafter, into south central Ohio. Seems like the 6z GFS was too south and east with this as well as underestimating the intensity of it at this hr.

I must admit, the graphics you posted Doorman, in addition to the current setup of features as per my latest look on SPC, look more interesting than what recent model runs would lead one to believe...

Judging by WV, the PV also seems to be weaker on its southeastern side than what the 6z GFS depicted...I will be keeping an eye on the deeper convection moving through central Indiana, and shortly, thereafter, into south central Ohio. Seems like the 6z GFS was too south and east with this as well as underestimating the intensity of it at this hr.

The fun should always be tracking without the models------- :popcorn:

with so many great real-time data sites

i still cant figure out the model hugging fanatics!!!

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/wwd/day2_psnow_gt_04.gif

day 2

small shifts mean more drifts

NAM shifts the heavy snow south of even DC. Only snows here 3-6 hours total. 0.75" plus and 1" plus slices through DC. 0.25" plus and 0.10" plus slices through NYC. Game, set, match.

A true weenie doesn't give up. Lets just sit back and see what happens.

SREF's are dry; 0.25" plus slices through NYC.

SREFs have an even tighter gradient than 3z.  BLM, PHL, TTN, CYN, ACY all had an increase in QPF (.05-.2 not much but a little), while EWR, LGA, JFK, ISP all had a very slight decrease. 

LGA: .22

JFK: .29

EWR: .24

ISP: .24

HPN: .13

BLM: .55

TTN: .48

PHL: .71

ACY: .98

BWI: 1.11

DCA: 1.25

NAM shifts the heavy snow south of even DC. Only snows here 3-6 hours total. 0.75" plus and 1" plus slices through DC. 0.25" plus and 0.10" plus slices through NYC. Game, set, match.

So, you're all in on the NAM, then? You realize how silly it is to pronounce this over based on that? C'mon you're better than that. Sure it may end up that way, but let's see what the rest of the 12Z guidance says first. Also liking Doorman's analysis of what's actually going on out there vs. what was predicted in the last round of model runs - and not just because it might result in a bit more snow.

It's over, don't be surprised if we get nothing more than a few snow showers later. You can hang your hat on the 4k NAM for now. Big win for the Euro ensembles that bailed late last week.

Euro ensembles didn't bail until mid week. The GGEM,Euro,Euro Ensembles, GFS and GEFS all had 12+ inches for NYC during the week.  Also, it isn't over until the storm is over.

So, you're all in on the NAM, then? You realize how silly it is to pronounce this over based on that? C'mon you're better than that. Sure it may end up that way, but let's see what the rest of the 12Z guidance says first. Also liking Doorman's analysis of what's actually going on out there vs. what was predicted in the last round of model runs - and not just because it might result in a bit more snow.

Find me a model that shows anything appreciable. 2-4" at best.

The discussion of reality v model is valid one in my opinion but it leads to an even more interesting question : if this reality is so radically different from model output why arent these models ingesting that info and spitting out a more northern solution?

The only model that did well weas the canadian. Euro and its ensembles had .8-1.0 for several runs under 100 hrs. Wont even mention the gfs which duped us thinking it was doing really good with the storm . Cant believe the canadian will win.

Yep. Canadian  only had 1 run where it showed a lot of snow.

i appreciate doorman's posts, but they're all with a wink and a question mark.   the models are reality with each passing hour.

Archived