• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 2-4 Snowstorm Potential Part 3

Sickman

Only one of the top 15 analogs over the east at 48 hours from the updated 00z runs has 6" or more of snow for NYC.

All of them are based off the NAM so basically all of them are bunk as the NAM largely disagreed with most of the models at 00Z, especially for PHL and CNTL and SRN NJ.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to the map that I posted, one more bump north and NYC can see 6+

I like your map better than mine, but they don't match and the 0.33" doesn't support more than 4" at 10:1

Unless I'm missing something, the Euro map that Snow88 posted has Staten Island (and me in Metuchen) at 6-7", Manhattan at 5-6" and the Bronx at 4-5".  Is that map not valid for some reason? 

NOAA has held strong ALL DAY for central Suffolk to get 5 to 9 inches in the local forecast. I wonder what info they know that leads them to think that...maybe they expected it to bump north again all along?

Could be. I don't pretend to know their actual thoughts and discussions, other than through the "Forecast Discussion" link. It appears there is still a low confidence to the snowfall totals at this time. Lowering them at this juncture only to have to possibly raise them again as the storm approaches and delivers is bad from the public perspective, IMHO. In other words, yoyoing isn't sound forecasting. OTOH, dropping the totals once and accurately - if need be - only goes to strengthen the overall prediction cycle.

Again. .. surface has very little to do with snowfall ratios

GFS during the snow shows saturation up to near 200 mb, I'm not an expert, but I'd hope that is cold enough for decent dendrite growth.

Of course, windy above 800 mb, but if all the snow flakes are moving along in the wind, I'd *hope* it wouldn't damage the crystals/limit growth.

post-138-0-29679700-1393744336_thumb.gif

Unless I'm missing something, the Euro map that Snow88 posted has Staten Island (and me in Metuchen) at 6-7", Manhattan at 5-6" and the Bronx at 4-5".  Is that map not valid for some reason? 

DT/WxRisk showing that same map and discussing the same amounts I did; see the link below.  Interesting that the Euro (and GFS with almost as muc as the Euro) now show close to 6" warning snows from NYC on southward, and that the NWS has not budged from their predictions of 6" or more from NYC on southward, despite what looked like maybe only 2-4" in NYC and 3-6" in CNJ earlier today on most models.  Perhaps they know what they're doing, lol.  After all the ups and downs, I would be very happy with 6-7" (or 4-5" really, but I'll take 9", thank you). On that note, it's about time for bed...

https://www.facebook.com/#!/WxRisk/photos/a.148807335166533.25889.129478830432717/654813657899229/?type=1&theater

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY 318 AM EST SUN MAR 2 2014 ...SNOW TONIGHT INTO MONDAY... NJZ006-105>108-NYZ072>075-078>081-176>179-022015- /O.UPG.KOKX.WS.A.0005.140302T2000Z-140303T2000Z/ /O.NEW.KOKX.WW.Y.0008.140302T2300Z-140303T1700Z/ HUDSON-WESTERN ESSEX-EASTERN ESSEX-WESTERN UNION-EASTERN UNION- NEW YORK (MANHATTAN)-BRONX-RICHMOND (STATEN ISLAND)- KINGS (BROOKLYN)-NORTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-NORTHEASTERN SUFFOLK- SOUTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-SOUTHEASTERN SUFFOLK-NORTHERN QUEENS- NORTHERN NASSAU-SOUTHERN QUEENS-SOUTHERN NASSAU- 318 AM EST SUN MAR 2 2014 ...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO NOON EST MONDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NEW YORK HAS ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO NOON EST MONDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT. * LOCATIONS...NEW YORK CITY...LONG ISLAND AND PORTIONS OF NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY. * HAZARD TYPES...SNOW. * ACCUMULATIONS...

SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 3 TO 6 INCHES. * WINDS...NORTH 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH. * TEMPERATURES...IN THE TEENS TO AROUND 20 TONIGHT...RISING TO THE MIDDLE 20S MONDAY. * VISIBILITIES...ONE QUARTER TO ONE HALF MILE AT TIMES. * TIMING...TONIGHT INTO MONDAY. * IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL DUE TO REDUCED VISIBILITIES AND SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...ESPECIALLY DURING THE MONDAY MORNING COMMUTE.

I thought the 6Z NAM made some positive strides, certainly an improvement from 0Z.

I'd like NYC, CPK in particular, to get 6.0 inches even and move into the number 2 spot. That will still leave them over 12 inches fom the record, but at least would give them an outside shot at breaking it with almost the entire month of March remaining.

Do you think South Shore LI can get 1 inch per hour rates at some point and 7 inch snowfall total. I could envision the heavy snow band making it here. Maybe 10 percent chance of a foot if it goes 100 miles further north, or last minute surprise tomorrow.

No

And of course you can

And 0

In all honesty though... No I can't envision any of that given this current setup.

No

And of course you can

And 0

In all honesty though... No I can't envision any of that given this current setup.

JetPens87,  what do you see for LI in terms of snow growth, 700 mb VV, snowfall rates and total final accumulation ?  One final question, do you see an end to the consistent  Arctic cold and snow threats by 3/15 or 3/20 ???

Archived