• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2-4 Snowstorm Potential Part 3

Sickman

So I have just started again following this storm after giving up on the storm after yesterdays model runs. Thought I would give it one last look.  It seems to me, and correct me if I am wrong, that 18z models were having this storm done in NYC area and north and west  by early morning, but 00Z GFS continues snowfall through the morning hours and is back to having snow continue into the afternoon.  Am I reading this right?  Thanks.  

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The difference is that WxBell uses a standard 10:1 ratio, while Instant Weather Maps takes ratios into account. That's why you're seeing 5-6" of snow being shown off of 0.40-0.50" of precip near the metro area.

Oh ok I didn't know that. My concern with that though would be if it just factors in temperature and qpf and not so much the actual banding that is occurring. As was mentioned above, without being in one of the better bands of snow, we'd be hard pressed to reach those snow amounts. Situations without at least one heavier band usually result in a few inches of snow or so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The speed of the vort lobe rotating around the PV has been faster the last 2 models runs, as a result it clears into NRN New England by 09-12z Monday AM which may be allowing the precip to come north as the RGEM started showing at 18Z and the GFS shows now...there still is the weaker lobe behind it dropping over Michigan and WRN NY though, if it were not for that piece we'd be in business. ...the same reason above could be why the 21-06Z period no longer looks as snowy as it originally did because that lobe is to our north earlier,

I noticed that too.

Problem is most of this precip is strung out so it might be .25-.50 qpf but thy won't accumulate 2-5" unless we get some good bands in here..

Huh? Most of the snow falls overnight and early morning when you don't have to worry about sun angle, and with temps below freezing. So why wouldn't every flake accumulate?

For the NYC department of Sanitation.

2-5" is definitely a good forecast.....it covers the lower end and the higher amounts of what is possible with this storm. Obviously it COULD be just an inch or if a miracle happens, 10".....but the chances of that I'd say are about 3% right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well Unless something dramatic happens this is looking like a High end advisory low end warning event for most of the area obviously more of a warning once U get into Central NJ. I think a lot of people are not that excited as the negative tends for past day and a half has taken some luster off the event plus it looked like a 8+ event as of Thurs now we will be lucky to get half of that it seems.

3/2 00Z Summary NYC, NE-NJ, CNJ, LI

SREF: 0.40 - 0.50 / 3 - 5 snow 

NAM:  0.20 - 0.35 / 1 - 3 snow

RGEM:  0.25 - 0.40 / 2 - 4 snow

GFS:  0.45 - 0.55 / 3 - 6 snow

UKMET:  0.25 - 0.40 / 2 - 4 inches snow

GGEM : 0.40 - 0.60 / 4 - 7 inches

Archived