Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 2-4 Snowstorm Potential Part 3

Sickman

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading through last night.. Many of you didn't understand why I said .25-.50 on last nights GFS won't add up to 2-5" first of all we aren't getting .50" of qpf its still trending south. second it has nothing to do with the temps .. And again ratios aren't guaranteed to be great stop saying it's going to be cold so ratios will be good.  If you get hours of flurries and light snow it's not going to be 2-5" .. you need a burst of snow to see 2-5" whether its January or March day or night.. I'm sticking with a coating to 2" for everyone from NYC north.. maybe 3" or so well south of the city.. 

Reading through last night.. Many of you didn't understand why I said .25-.50 on last nights GFS won't add up to 2-5" first of all we aren't getting .50" of qpf its still trending south. second it has nothing to do with the temps .. And again ratios aren't guaranteed to be great stop saying it's going to be cold so ratios will be good.  If you get hours of flurries and light snow it's not going to be 2-5" .. you need a burst of snow to see 2-5" whether its January or March day or night.. I'm sticking with a coating to 2" for everyone from NYC north.. maybe 3" or so well south of the city.. 

Bingo.  On my site, my forecast from last night sounds and looks a lot like this.  People are kidding themselves if that QPF is going to add up to the 3-6" and 4-8" amounts I'm seeing.  I even am reluctant to have anything more than 4" or so North of Philly proper extended East. 

Time will tell, but this one fizzled and may not be done fizzling.

Bingo. On my site, my forecast from last night sounds and looks a lot like this. People are kidding themselves if that QPF is going to add up to the 3-6" and 4-8" amounts I'm seeing. I even am reluctant to have anything more than 4" or so North of Philly proper extended East.

Time will tell, but this one fizzled and may not be done fizzling.

From friday 6z i still cannot believe how this one pretty much fell of a huge cliff. Atleast we have friday to track still

From friday 6z i still cannot believe how this one pretty much fell of a huge cliff. Atleast we have friday to track still

You think Thurs Night into Friday is anything?  I don't believe there is any more measurable snow this year.  I had really hoped today would pan out, was banking on another foot for the snowpack, I still have hope we get at least 4+ but I do believe this was the last opportunity.

To me, it was amazing how many people were NOT concerned once we had those 12z runs on Friday.  It never really stopped from their except for one blip 6z run yesterday. 

The two PV snows in January along the Arctic front were very rare events for our region. This event is more typical

of what usually happens where the forecasts in the early days are initially too far north and we get a south correction

under 72-96 hrs when a PV is involved. It seems like forecasts that hinge on PV placement can be

the most difficult for models to get right.

Gotta watch what you wish for. Everyone wanted a potent pv so it would be cold enough for snow and look what happened. It shunted the banding to the south. And now we have strong hp which is going to erode the northern precip shield as well. Just not a pretty scenario for the LHV into NYC...this sucks even down my way towards philly. Maybe thurs-fri we can cash in.

The two PV snows in January along the Arctic front were very rare events for our region. This event is more typical

of what usually happens where the forecasts in the early days are initially too far north and we get a south correction

under 72-96 hrs when a PV is involved. It seems like forecasts that hinge on PV placement can be

the most difficult for models to get right.

I believe that after the friday threat if we dont get any measurable snow from that i feel our measurable snows have pretty much ended for the season. Im not saying its over but we're going to start to have less wiggle room than we had earlier in the season as we are going to start fighting climo more and more chris.

I believe that after the friday threat if we dont get any measurable snow from that i feel our measurable snows have pretty much ended for the season. Im not saying its over but we're going to start to have less wiggle room than we had earlier in the season as we are going to start fighting climo more and more chris.

I guess the reason that there is such a big gap between 47-48 and 95-96 is that 95-96 was such a rare event

even with the record snows here in recent years. I would be happy just to get past the 63" mark at NYC

before the season ends.

http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/shtml/A_24hr500bw.gif

i will say 6 inches could stretch out to the 1020mb line shown here

old school 1020 rule  ....... :nerdsmiley: 

http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/shtml/A_24hrbw.gif

current 500mb

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/dlmmain.php?&basin=atlantic&sat=wg8∏=dlm2&zoom=&time=

nice hit for the Metro.... still my call

Sry , I got an alert at 524 that we were in a warning... Weather bug mistake.. I tried to upload a screen shot wouldn't let me.. thanks I guess it was a mistake on there part.

Wandering off topic here, but sometimes you have to watch out for these services tying your location to your reporting station instead of your actual lat/lon. Check and see if your reporting station is Belmar (which is the case for a lot of our local area). If so, that could explain the glitch, since Belmar is (obv.) in Monmouth county.

attachicon.gifA_24h.gif

http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/shtml/A_24hr500bw.gif

i will say 6 inches could stretch out to the 1020mb line shown here

old school 1020 rule  ....... :nerdsmiley: 

attachicon.gifop 1.gif

http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/shtml/A_24hrbw.gif

current 500mb

attachicon.gifc5.GIF

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/dlmmain.php?&basin=atlantic&sat=wg8∏=dlm2&zoom=&time=

nice hit for the Metro.... still my call

im a newbie but which is the 1020 line?

Found this to be an odd headline in the Mt. Holly AFD:

LONG TERM /MONDAY THROUGH SATURDAY/...

**WINTER STORM WARNING SOUTH OF I78 AND ADVISORY ALONG I78 NORTH**

Clearly as per their county map, the warnings are only for counties well south of 78 (Mercer-Monmouth and south of there) and per the snowfall map, I-78 looks to be coincident with the 4" snowfall line, well below the 6" needed for warnings; plus, nowhere else in the AFD discusses snow that heavy near 78.  Almost makes me wonder if they were going to include Hunterdon-Somerset-Middlesex (and the Lehigh Valley) in their warnings and then decided not to, at the last minute, but forgot to delete that text. 

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=PHI&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=0&highlight=off

Found this to be an odd headline in the Mt. Holly AFD:

LONG TERM /MONDAY THROUGH SATURDAY/...

**WINTER STORM WARNING SOUTH OF I78 AND ADVISORY ALONG I78 NORTH**

Clearly as per their county map, the warnings are only for counties well south of 78 (Mercer-Monmouth and south of there) and per the snowfall map, I-78 looks to be coincident with the 4" snowfall line, well below the 6" needed for warnings; plus, nowhere else in the AFD discusses snow that heavy near 78.  Almost makes me wonder if they were going to include Hunterdon-Somerset-Middlesex (and the Lehigh Valley) in their warnings and then decided not to, at the last minute, but forgot to delete that text. 

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=PHI&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=0&highlight=off

In my mind I-195 should be the diving line especially when a chink of Middlesex is more south than Monmouth or mercer.

In my mind I-195 should be the diving line especially when a chink of Middlesex is more south than Monmouth or mercer.

Driscoll Bridge is the unofficial divide between North Jersey and Central...others peg it at Elizabeth. Woodbridge is not really North Jersey nor is it really Central NJ. People in Jackson consider it Central, to me that's's South....

This has been a fun one to track hasn't it?  If you're right, and I think you have been all along, it looks like the moisture is farther north at this point than it was supposed to be, the HP sitting off the SE coast will keep it moving north/northeast rather than east and out to sea and the cold push will drop in behind rather than on top and keep a conveyor belt of GOM moisture going rather than squash the whole mess to the south of us.  Am I reading you right?

PV influence stretching out more {east ---west} then dropping south???

http://climate.cod.edu/flanis/satellite/reg/index.php?type=usa-wv-24

looks like it from here   :whistle: 

Moisture Transport .... atm

attachicon.gifmt.gif

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/viewsector.php?sector=19#

Driscoll Bridge is the unofficial divide between North Jersey and Central...others peg it at Elizabeth. Woodbridge is not really North Jersey nor is it really Central NJ. People in Jackson consider it Central, to me that's's South....

I was speaking of this storm specifically based on the latest guidance.  i195 looks like a decent dividing line of where the heavier accums will setup (south of there) to being fringed (north of there)

Archived