• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
3/6 - 3/7 Event is it this seasons last gasp?

WXinCanton

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My question is what does the RAP and HRRR see? It's very bullish for snow IMBY. 

I may not be entirely right.

But the 850 line is at the border.

Since its starting early that should help drop temps aloft as precip advances north. ATM there is a steady supply of CAA coming in.

If you do a loop 

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/viewsector.php?sector=17&parm=pmsl&underlay=1&source=1#

the -4 -2 0 to the right hand of the page. You should notice the 2C line slowly moving south. The 0c 850 line might not start moving south till the column here saturates and pushes the line south. So in theory RAP, HRRR might not be too far off.

It's gonna be 35 and rain. Watch and learn. Never fails to under perform in Upstate SC.

You can take this to the bank, at least for western upstate. In fact, I am already there; 36 and steady rain. So much for dry air, evaporational cooling, or strong CADs. This is about the best it will get for areas west of GSP. Same story different storm! But, union to rock hill, May just have a shot!

Yep. 925 is still warm over you way

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/sfctest/new/viewsector.php?sector=17#

You can take this to the bank, at least for western upstate. In fact, I am already there; 36 and steady rain. So much for dry air, evaporational cooling, or strong CADs. This is about the best it will get for areas west of GSP. Same story different storm! But, union to rock hill, May just have a shot!

I'm really starting to wonder if there is going to be a change over to snow very soon over far northeast ga and the upstate. That is some impressive precipitation coming down and it's only getting heavier. the precip there is even heavier than here and it's absolutely pouring. Given the expected mid level temps, don't be surprised if it suddenly changes over or at the least mixes with snow pretty soon.

I swear it looks like some big sloppy flakes half melted falling outside, may just be grasping. But if the upper levels can cooperate, they should be able to make it to the ground with temps at 35

I swear it looks like some big sloppy flakes half melted falling outside, may just be grasping. But if the upper levels can cooperate, they should be able to make it to the ground with temps at 35

Mack-I'm with ya there. Down to 34 here, and looks like we are on the doorsteps to snow! lol....

Guys, it looks really strange here in Greenville, SC - huge raindrops falling - 34 degrees currently - honestly, it looks like it could change over to frozen precip with higher precip rates.

Special Weather Statement from NWS Raleigh:

FORSYTH-GUILFORD-ALAMANCE-DAVIDSON-RANDOLPH-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WINSTON-SALEM...GREENSBORO...
HIGH POINT...BURLINGTON...GRAHAM...LEXINGTON...THOMASVILLE...
ASHEBORO...ARCHDALE...TRINITY
528 PM EST THU MAR 6 2014

...SLEET AND PERHAPS A LITTLE RAIN OR SNOW WILL CONTINUE TO
SPREAD ACROSS THE NORTHWEST PIEDMONT AND TRIAD REGION THIS
EVENING...

A MIX OF LIGHT SLEET AND A LITTLE RAIN WILL BECOME STEADIER AS IT
SPREADS NORTHWARD INTO THE NORTHWEST PIEDMONT AND TRIAD AREA.
SOME SNOW MAY MIX IN AT TIMES AS WELL...ESPECIALLY TO THE NORTH
OF INTERSTATE 40. TEMPERATURES IN THE MID TO UPPER 30S AT AROUND
500 PM WILL FALL TO THE 32 TO 36 RANGE BY 700 PM AND EVENTUALLY
FALL BELOW FREEZING LATER THIS EVENING. WITH MAINLY ABOVE
FREEZING TEMPERATURES... NO SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS OF SLEET OR
SNOW ARE EXPECTED THROUGH 700 PM. LATER THIS
EVENING...TEMPERATURES WILL FALL TO AROUND OR BELOW FREEZING AND
THE PRECIPITATION WILL BEGIN TO ACCUMULATE...PRIMARILY AS A MIX
OF SLEET AND SNOW.

thank goodness i am not losing more of my mind lol.  its 31.6 and coming down pretty hard right now (rain, not snow).  although there are some funny looking raindrops that are big and look like a rain/snow blob.  (as a matter of fact coming down so hard that i see very little glazing at the moment)

I check car tops at an acute angle for precip type.  Just had a smoke.  From 15 feet - I saw some "gloppyness".

I sensed general gloppyness... felt gloppy.  "Glop Factor" was moderate.

nega, you've got graupel falling there and/or snow pellets. Was getting ready to say for a lot of us with the ULL, i"m expecting that to produce pockets of graupel, snow pellets, or even non-accum snows (even with temps as warm as 40) later tonigh into tomorrow through the southeast.

nega, you've got graupel falling there and/or snow pellets. Was getting ready to say for a lot of us with the ULL, i"m expecting that to produce pockets of graupel, snow pellets, or even non-accum snows (even with temps as warm as 40) later tonigh into tomorrow through the southeast.

ah - its certainly an odd look with the rain lol.  precip has lightened up again and looks to be mostly rain again....temp hasnt budged, but the ne winds seem to be kicking in a bit again

Yeah but the radars are wrong. Nothing but cold miserable rain reaching the ground. No even any sleet. 

thats why the board is nice to get the ground truth lol.  many times shows snow over mby but its just rain (once and a while shows rain when its snow but those times are few and far between unfortunately)

The rate its snowing outside now. Its very very plausible that 85 corridor N/W towards the triad and VA line could see a foot or better.

Dont even.......

You are correct though. Somebody, just NW of GSO INT I think, is going to net the bullseye on this one. Good rates already across the triad.

Archived