• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
3/6 - 3/7 Event is it this seasons last gasp?

WXinCanton

Hi Larry, do you mind letting us know the temperature profile on the NAM for the regions under the Winter Storm Warning in NC?  The nam has been warmer aloft in the past runs.  The guys at the NWS have been discounting it a bit because the warm nose is not as pronounced on the other models.  Pretty important detail when it comes to power outages and ice accruals.  I'm hoping we can get more sleet instead of freezing rain.

If you don't have the time, I understand.  Thank you for your efforts!  We all appreciate it!

You're welcome. It looks similar to ATL at 925 (below 0C) until about 7 AM tomorrow.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It appears the bullseye for this storm will be the Triad....trying to figure out the precip types and amounts is pretty much useless at this time. I'm just confident it's going to be a mess tomorrow morning. I hope there's more snow/sleet versus frz rn due to power concerns. Although, it sure is looking like a tremendous amount of frz rn is heading our way. 

Since this is coming in faster once evaporative cooling starts taking place wouldn't this be more snow to fall instead of ice?

In theory the CAD will be locked in good. Precip ahead of schedule with a steady supply of cold. If any warming does happen most if not all precip will be near ending. 

LOL

Joe Bastardi ‏@BigJoeBastardi 32m

For my friends in the Carolinas, its time to hoist the http://Weatherbell.com Winter Storm Warning Flag pic.twitter.com/noe7avfCVT

BiEhSjQCEAA5Zbq.jpg

Atta boy !

Also FYI since this past weekend, Joe has been discussing the possibility of a 'Grand Planetary Wave' induced storm for around the 13th next week. Unfortunately the storm would only affect upper mid Atlantic northward

don't get Blacksburg? They upgrade me to winter storm warning, for 1 inch snow/sleet and trace of Ice??? That's barely WWA?

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON EST FRIDAY...

.TONIGHT...CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF SLEET WITH A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SNOW
THIS EVENING...THEN SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN AFTER MIDNIGHT. SNOW
AND SLEET ACCUMULATION UP TO 1 INCH. ICE ACCUMULATION AROUND A
TRACE. LOWS AROUND 30. NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP
TO 25 MPH. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 90 PERCENT.
.FRIDAY...RAIN AND FREEZING RAIN IN THE MORNING...THEN RAIN
LIKELY IN THE AFTERNOON. ICE ACCUMULATION AROUND A TRACE. HIGHS
IN THE MID 40S. NORTH WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION
NEAR 100 PERCENT.

Just my opinion here, but just looking at radar and all the models, I think the GFS **MORE than likely** has the best qpf representation then certainly the NAM.  The euro looks overdone as well.  I think the Triad will be the biggest winners over to WNC.  Some snow looks possible, but this screams ZR/IP to me.  GFS looks like its about 1-1.25" total QPF up there and makes sense to me.  Hope yall get some wintry weather, but I can't see the NAM being right.  

don't get Blacksburg? They upgrade me to winter storm warning, for 1 inch snow/sleet and trace of Ice??? That's barely WWA?

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON EST FRIDAY...

.TONIGHT...CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF SLEET WITH A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SNOW

THIS EVENING...THEN SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN AFTER MIDNIGHT. SNOW

AND SLEET ACCUMULATION UP TO 1 INCH. ICE ACCUMULATION AROUND A

TRACE. LOWS AROUND 30. NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP

TO 25 MPH. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 90 PERCENT.

.FRIDAY...RAIN AND FREEZING RAIN IN THE MORNING...THEN RAIN

LIKELY IN THE AFTERNOON. ICE ACCUMULATION AROUND A TRACE. HIGHS

IN THE MID 40S. NORTH WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION

NEAR 100 PERCENT.

That's in case it gets worse. They will not have to up-grade to a warning. They will just up the accumulations.

Just my opinion here, but just looking at radar and all the models, I think the GFS **MORE than likely** has the best qpf representation then certainly the NAM.  The euro looks overdone as well.  I think the Triad will be the biggest winners over to WNC.  Some snow looks possible, but this screams ZR/IP to me.  GFS looks like its about 1-1.25" total QPF up there and makes sense to me.  Hope yall get some wintry weather, but I can't see the NAM being right.  

Thats an interesting statement.

What about the placement of the 850 low eventually and maybe the thermal profiles? Nam has certainly been warm thermally.

Just my opinion here, but just looking at radar and all the models, I think the GFS **MORE than likely** has the best qpf representation then certainly the NAM. The euro looks overdone as well. I think the Triad will be the biggest winners over to WNC. Some snow looks possible, but this screams ZR/IP to me. GFS looks like its about 1-1.25" total QPF up there and makes sense to me. Hope yall get some wintry weather, but I can't see the NAM being right.

It's kind of a now cast thing. There is a long fetch of moisture from AL, GA and the Carolinas and the way it's positioned and pivoting, I believe that 2 + inches of QPF is likely across NC, yes there won't be 4 inches of QPF , but it looks juicy. I hope someone gets something memorable and they take lots of pictures!

It's kind of a now cast thing. There is a long fetch of moisture from AL, GA and the Carolinas and the way it's positioned and pivoting, I believe that 2 + inches of QPF is likely across NC, yes there won't be 4 inches of QPF , but it looks juicy. I hope someone gets something memorable and they take lots of pictures!

Its def. a nowcasting thing, but being on tv/media/radio (whatever) you have to continue to always update things.  There might be some higher QPF amounts, but we shall see.  Looks like most models, outside nam and euro, have trended down in QPF for C and WNC.  Again, I want yall to have the QPF, but I just don't see anything that heavy (qpf wise)

It shows around six inches of snow right over my house. That can't be right.

I'm really starting to wonder if there is going to be a change over to snow very soon over far northeast ga and the upstate. That is some impressive precipitation coming down and it's only getting heavier. the precip there is even heavier than here and it's absolutely pouring. Given the expected mid level temps, don't be surprised if it suddenly changes over or at the least mixes with snow pretty soon.

Archived