• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
3/6 - 3/7 Event is it this seasons last gasp?

WXinCanton

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just checked out the Canadian. Nobody has mentioned it, so I thought it must be terrible. Or maybe people just don't care anymore. Anyway, I would LOVE for that solution to come true. It destroys RDU with heavy precipitation and the deform band. Just tons of precip. I assume it would be mostly rain. But the 850s are between 0 and 2 for much of that, probably close to 0/1 for a good while. I have no idea which model will end up being right, though. The Nam and the CMC are probably way too overdone with precip. But if we're going to get any snow at all, the CMC gives us the best chance of any model I've seen.

Just checked the cmc and saw the deform band right over us.  Unfortunately it does look to be rain.  If we were just a little colder this could be an awesome snowstorm.  Big fat flakes of wet snow!

Just checked the cmc and saw the deform band right over us.  Unfortunately it does look to be rain.  If we were just a little colder this could be an awesome snowstorm.  Big fat flakes of wet snow!

I have no idea what surface temps look like or if there are any other warm layers present (which there probably are), but all we need is like 1 stinking degree at 850.

havent seen the latest from RAH posted: 

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...
AS OF 1145 AM THURSDAY...

THE COLD HIGH PRESSURE CONTINUED TO BUILD SOUTHWARD INTO NC THIS
MORNING. THE STRONGEST DRY AIR ADVECTION HAS BEEN SHIFTING INTO THE
WESTERN PIEDMONT/FOOTHILLS FROM THE NNE. IN THE EAST... THE FLOW IS
BEGINNING TO CONTAIN MORE OF AN ONSHORE COMPONENT... WITH DEW POINTS
STABILIZING OR EVEN RISING A BIT. ONE KEY PART OF THE UPCOMING EVENT
WILL BE THE ROLE THE COLD HIGH PRESSURE PLAYS. FOR NOW... IT APPEARS
THAT THE NORTHWEST PIEDMONT WILL CONTINUE TO HAVE THE HIGHEST CHANCE
OF WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS... AS IT APPEARS THE COLD AIR DAMMING
WILL BE STRONGEST THERE.

FOR THE AFTERNOON... THICKENING CLOUDINESS. A CHANCE OF RAIN IN THE
SOUTH LATE AFTERNOON. HIGHS GENERALLY 40-45 (HIGHER END NUMBERS
SOUTH).

CONTEMPLATING THE LATEST DATA FOR TONIGHT. IT IS POSSIBLE FOR A
WINTER STORM WARNING FOR PORTIONS OF THE NW PIEDMONT FOR SNOW/SLEET
CHANGING TO FREEZING RAIN OVERNIGHT. THE COLD NOSE APPEARS VERY
STRONG AND TEMPS MAY FALL INTO THE UPPER 20S THROUGH 12Z OR SO
FRIDAY BEFORE GRADUAL WARMING FROM THE TOP DOWN TOMORROW. THE MAIN
AREA OF CONCERN FOR WARNING CRITERIA WILL LIKELY BE ALONG AND NORTH
AND WEST OF I-85. MUCH MORE AS WE LOOK OVER THE LATEST DATA.

This is such a complicated system. :lol:  :axe:

From ones perspective this is good/bad depending on location. I think the ZR threat is more  going up along 95 and west to Ral. Maybe less precip over for the mountains more snow in the middle of the state. From yesterdays run till now there is most definitely an actual shift east in the precip coverage by atleast a couple hundred miles.

Maybe more of GFS colder type solution.

Second RPM run in a row that shifts precip out of foothills very quickly. I've noted in the past its warning shots shouldn't be ignored

The RPM was the first model to start screwing everyone outside the Triad of a major winter storm with the 1/17/13 ULL...  I believe that is part of what he is referring to with its warning shots.

(This one)

accum.20130117.gif

Bingo snowniner!

what does that mean?

If people would go back and look at early models runs from yesterday, 6z,12z,18z, etc etc... They all showed a flooding deluge in AL,GA for this time frame today. AL,W GA has pretty well been bone dry today.. They heaviest precip axis is a couple hundred miles to the east from what earlier runs showed. 

So really the heaviest qpf is going to fall from the mountains/Foothill east mainly in the central piedmont and coastal plain.

Already have some light precip here. It's a mix of rain and sleet.    At any rate, Considering how dry the column is supposed to be, it's a bit surprising that even light returns are hitting the ground. .

Lookout,

I'm very curious to see what you get and how close to 32 you fall. What is your current temp.?

Edit: after reaching nearly 45, mine has fallen back to 43.0 during the last hour or so, My lowest was ~39.

Archived