• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
3/6 - 3/7 Event is it this seasons last gasp?

WXinCanton

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

very impressive wedge has verified along with the much colder than forecasted TD's.

Edit: this situation is one of the most complex and tough to forecast. Going to be a very interesting day and night of observing what actually happens!

Larry,

I remember the surprise of '05 when it was not a surprise to you... this one sorta reminds me of that.  I remember wet bulbs were something we were all concentrating on and looking at.  When is the time frame to start looking at those?  When the precip rolls in?

This is a very low confidence forecast. Even at this short of a range we have some significant model disagreement and also a razor then margin for error. This map is based off of model output, experience from living in this area for years, and climo.

I think the mountains should make out pretty well with snow. Ice in March is pretty uncommon, which makes any forecast accrual above 0.25 a bit shaky, but the best chance for that will be I-40 corridor from HKY to GSO to Burlington and then north of there.

Again, I can see this going a number of ways that wouldnt surprise me.

1. Heavy snow for mountains, mostly non event outside of mountains.

2. Heavy snow from GSP to CLT to GSO west, with narrow transition zone, and mostly rain  east of there.

3. Or a deformation band could set up over the piedmont, with heavy snow across the western and central piedmont and less ice.

This is truly one we are going to have to just watch play out.

post-25-0-51568200-1394113739_thumb.jpg

I feel bad for the mets on this one.  If things end up being a colder solution with more of a wintry scenario for places then they are going to get lynched by the public.  No one that isn't some sort of weather geek understands how incredibly difficult this storm is to predict...it's basically a now-cast storm. 

I tip my hat to you guys, I don't envy you in this situation at all.  But most of all, thank you for all of your input here!

Larry,

I remember the surprise of '05 when it was not a surprise to you... this one sorta reminds me of that.  I remember wet bulbs were something we were all concentrating on and looking at.  When is the time frame to start looking at those?  When the precip rolls in?

The timeframe is now but is even more important then, of course. Also, dynamic cooling from the upper low will be quite possible in some areas late today.

This is a very low confidence forecast. Even at this short of a range we have some significant model disagreement and also a razor then margin for error. This map is based off of model output, experience from living in this area for years, and climo.

I think the mountains should make out pretty well with snow. Ice in March is pretty uncommon, which makes any forecast accrual above 0.25 a bit shaky, but the best chance for that will be I-40 corridor from HKY to GSO to Burlington and then north of there.

Again, I can see this going a number of ways that wouldnt surprise me.

1. Heavy snow for mountains, mostly non event outside of mountains.

2. Heavy snow from GSP to CLT to GSO west, with narrow transition zone, and mostly rain  east of there.

3. Or a deformation band could set up over the piedmont, with heavy snow across the western and central piedmont and less ice.

This is truly one we are going to have to just watch play out.

I am hoping for number 3, because right now it just looks like we're getting a cold and miserable rain.

I agree, because looking at a map, we're in the center of the state. But I think most people think we're in the eastern Piedmont.

It would be nice to have a real consensus on the term. I knew I was taught in school that the Triangle is in the piedmont, and we're in the middle of it, so I figure that means we're in the central piedmont, and places like the Triad would be more western piedmont. I think Fayetteville would be eastern piedmont.

The bust potential on this for at least north GA is tremendous! I do feel for the mets. By the way, in reading old newspapers and looking at other things, the major ATL snow of 3/11/1960 was completely unforecasted as the forecast was just for rain. One ATL forecaster of 1960 fully admitted during the 1980's or 1990's that that was his worst forecast bust ever. Then there, too, was upper level related dynamic cooling that did its magic. Then, the wedge was less impressively placed than now and the sfc low was further north. Also, it doesn't look to me like the upper level cold was impressive on the 500 mb maps. If anyone has a chance, check out maps of 3/11-12/1960.

The Piedmont, by definition, only extends east to the Fall Line, which passes directly through the city of Raleigh. Therefore, Raleigh must be, at least partially, in the Eastern Piedmont.  Definitely no where near Central.

Yes, I was just looking at some maps on Google image search. Some of them have the piedmont going a little farther east, but most of them have it stopping right after Wake County. I didn't realize so much of NC was considered the coast.

Searcg for piedmont of NC in Google images and you'll get this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=piedmont+of+nc&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&rlz=1I7AURU_enUS505&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=54IYU4a2NujH0wHDlYCQDA&ved=0CCYQsAQ&biw=1127&bih=597&dpr=1

It would be nice to have a real consensus on the term. I knew I was taught in school that the Triangle is in the piedmont, and we're in the middle of it, so I figure that means we're in the central piedmont, and places like the Triad would be more western piedmont. I think Fayetteville would be eastern piedmont.

Fayetteville would be the Coastal Plan/Shandhills.  

Yes, I was just looking at some maps on Google image search. Some of them have the piedmont going a little farther east, but most of them have it stopping right after Wake County. I didn't realize so much of NC was considered the coast.

Searcg for piedmont of NC in Google images and you'll get this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=piedmont+of+nc&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&rlz=1I7AURU_enUS505&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=54IYU4a2NujH0wHDlYCQDA&ved=0CCYQsAQ&biw=1127&bih=597&dpr=1

Wow...huge discrepencies in those maps as to where, exactly, the Piedmont boundaries are.  One map even considers Charlotte and neighboring counties as the Foothills.

Its the highest bust potential storm this winter/spring so far.  New nam coming in and it develops a nice cool pocket (0 to -2c) at 850 over N and CGA overnight tonight and into tomorrow am.  QPF is fairly light (at best) verbatim, but we shall see.

edit...  4km NAM goes down to like -4 or so at 850 over EC and SE GA. wow.  no precip though, prolly to little to late. but interesting.

Its the highest bust potential storm this winter/spring so far.  New nam coming in and it develops a nice cool pocket (0 to -2c) at 850 over N and CGA overnight tonight and into tomorrow am.  QPF is fairly light (at best) verbatim, but we shall see.

I am curious to why the models mostly have the cool pocket on the sw side of the upper low.  I always thought it was the nw side of the low where the 850's crash and give the heavy snow?

Archived