• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
3/6 - 3/7 Event is it this seasons last gasp?

WXinCanton

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spill it.

HAH, someone else commented it has 24" of "snow" for GSO, which would probably be a mix of snow/sleet/frzn, who knows how it would fall out, key is they are 30F or below from 0z tonight through at least mid-morning tomorrow.  We are at 33F and +1 850 temp, can't believe we are going to miss a major winter storm by 1-2 degrees at 850/2m temps, LOL.  I don't think I can recall this cold of rain miss for us, this takes the cake for sure, it literally can't get any colder and be rain.

HAH, someone else commented it has 24" of "snow" for GSO, which would probably be a mix of snow/sleet/frzn, who knows how it would fall out, key is they are 30F or below from 0z tonight through at least mid-morning tomorrow.  We are at 33F and +1 850 temp, can't believe we are going to miss a major winter storm by 1-2 degrees at 850/2m temps, LOL.  I don't think I can recall this cold of rain miss for us, this takes the cake for sure, it literally can't get any colder and be rain.

I don't know, it could go either way. Take even half of what the Euro shows and it is still a good storm.

I suppose a slight deviation in virtually anything could shave or add a degree at 850. I really can't believe that map will turn out like that. I guess it's possible, but this will be really one that will be remembered for a long time, if it turns out like that.

Lookout,

I'm very curious to see what you get and how close to 32 you fall. Aren't you like ~25 miles east of AHN? What is your current temp.?

Edit: after reaching nearly 45, mine has fallen back to 43.0 during the last hour or so, My lowest was ~39.

Got up to 41 before it started, now down to 38 over 19. So that's a wetbulb just below freezing. Very close call. Normally I don't like seeing it get to the 40s here unless dewpoints are in the single digits or something..which obviously it wasn't. So if there is winter weather here, it would probably have to be in the form of snow/sleet with the upper low. hard to picture much freezing rain..UNLESS dewpoints actually drop with the temperature like they did over central ga. Other stations, like greensboro, didn't see that..but they didn't have as much precip either.,

Sure does. 

I'd be cautious on that though. The nam/gfs have indicated that the boundary layer temps warm with time with the colder air moving south indicating  the cold 900 to 950mb temps don't quite match up to the 850s by that time. I don't see why the euro would be much different.

however, what will be interesting to watch unfold is if the deformation zone can cause a generalized area of cooling vs very localized cooling with heavier precip rates or banding.

one thing is for sure, the euro is much drier over the western half of ga. earlier runs had over an inch, this mornings run only shows 0.25 or so. I've not been impressed so far with the precip with this system..I hope the models haven't been too wet because if they are, the likely hood of snow really goes down for most people..especially outside the mountains since we need heavy and constant precip to dynamically cool the column.

That said, it's interesting to note the rap has gradually been trending colder at 850mb all morning. With each run, the observed 850s are colder than the previous projected temp and the warming at that level is less and less with each run. Will see how that goes.

I can't see anything but the 24 hour panels on eWall, but it looks like the Euro shows a classic RDU snowstorm track. Without it being cold enough, it will be a classic rainstorm. Does the deform band set up west of RDU or does it rotate over us like the CMC showed?

I can't see anything but the 24 hour panels on eWall, but it looks like the Euro shows a classic RDU snowstorm track. Without it being cold enough, it will be a classic rainstorm. Does the deform band set up west of RDU or does it rotate over us like the CMC showed?

But what if it is cold enough? Why is the Euro showing it?

Thats a good representation of the rain/snow line imo. But the amounts are high as hell. Slash them by 3 and freezing rain & sleet on top. That bulleye of 23+ is actually about 6-8"

For entertainment:  (That's a lot of frozen precip, though not snow... though you probably can't rule out some snow mixing in at times)

fop0rc.png

Anyways, I have to run.  Adios!

It does, but rotates better for GSO, they are jackpot precip wise.

It does, but rotates better for GSO, they are jackpot precip wise.

Gotcha. That makes sense, actually. Most of the time, that band sets up farther west than us. Not sure why that is the case, usually, but it is. That's where snow will fall, if snow is going to fall.

Well how does the RGEM look then? I remember the Euro was putting out 12 plus here in Feb and we only got 8, but Ill take what I can get. 

6z hit WNC pretty hard, but 12z is showing less snow. Still few inches for Asheville with more at Mt. Mitchell.

Sorry for a imby question but with 850 temps hovering between 0 and 1 for GSO wouldn't that mean that I could possibly be close to all snow?

Yes and rate depenent. Heavier rates will help keep the column isothermal = more snow...unless there's a warm layer somewhere other than 850. Lighter rates may equal more non-snow.

Yes and rate depenent. Heavier rates will help keep the column isothermal = more snow...unless there's a warm layer somewhere other than 850. Lighter rates may equal more non-snow.

okay thanks. So wouldn't the majority of forecasts be way too conservative right now?

Archived