• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 28 and early March extreme cold

Ian

The PWC School District building next to Prince William National Forest is still over 13 degrees, while a few miles up the road it's 2.2 degrees below zero at the Manassas Airport.

Also worth noting, it is 30.5 in my unheated greenhouse, which I made out of cattle panels, bamboo poles, zip ties, and plastic sheeting. On Sunday I put 4 strings of clear mini christmas lights all around on the beds to try to protect all my veggies from tonight's cold temps. It's amazing that that's enough heat to keep it above 30 degrees inside the greenhouse, when it's so close to zero outside. My veggies do look a bit frozen at the moment, but they should survive just fine.

1529691_10202969077645006_294838278_o.jp

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The PWC School District Building next to Prince William National Forest is still over 13 degrees, while a few miles up the road it's 2.2 degrees below zero at the Manassas Airport.

Also worth noting, it is 30.5 in my unheated greenhouse, which I made out of cattle panels, bamboo poles, zip ties, and plastic sheeting. On Sunday I put 4 strings of clear mini christmas lights all around on the beds to try to protect all my veggies from tonight's cold temps.. It's amazing that that's enough heat to keep it above 30 degrees inside the greenhouse, when it's so close to zero outside. My veggies should survive just fine.

ginger it is nice to have you on the board. a word of advice, please do not disclose you took 45 measurements to come out with a range of 6 to 8 inches.a little OCD. People will eat you alive up here. Also, read and lurk more than you post. Obs are fine but when times are busy, don't ask imby questions. glad to hear your vegetables are doing well. Good times ahead.

SXUS71 KLWX 040539
RERBWI

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
1239 AM EST TUE MAR 04 2014

...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE SET AT BALTIMORE MD...

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF 5 DEGREES WAS SET AT BALTIMORE MD
YESTERDAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 10 DEGREES SET IN 2009.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SXUS71 KLWX 040538
RERIAD

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
1238 AM EST TUE MAR 04 2014

...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE SET AT WASHINGTON DULLES DC...

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF 1 DEGREE WAS SET AT WASHINGTON
DULLES DC YESTERDAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 12 DEGREES
SET IN 1980.

Officially at 2am

DCA 15/4

IAD 0/-4  (though it has -0 on the air temp)

BWI 6/2

SHD has reached -3 -- http://www.nws.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KSHD.html

OKV 0/-4 -- http://www.nws.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KOKV.html

MRB 1/-5 -- http://www.nws.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KMRB.html (but OBS show it reached low of -1)

EZF 6/4 -- http://www.nws.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KEZF.html

Manassas/Culpepper are -2/-8 at 2am... Warrenton -4/-6... Stafford 2/-1... Orange is down to 5 while Louisa is down to 3

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/view/prodsByState.php?state=VA&prodtype=hourly

NOT extreme cold here - in fact all winter long, cloud cover has kept me relatively mild.

Tonight is no exception.

I will dip to a mild 10 degrees above zero while everyone else around me gets to enjoy nice pleasant cool lows in the low negative single digits.

I'm cursed.

Every fookin time we get good radiational cooling, I always turn cloudy. damn, Damn, DAMN!

I want COLD. Too bad I am cursed for the rest of my natural life. Every time we have a cold outbreak, it will always be cloudy over my back yard. I'll have 14 degrees and everyone all around me will report -4.

It really sucks to be me. I hate this place. I'll never get out. I'll die here.

1am: 1.5.

Every gd weatherbug network sensor has a fighter jet parked right next to it, or the damned sensors are covered in ice. Every single one of those weatherbug sensors reads ten damn degrees. Its breaking my heart. In total gut wrenching desperation I finally laid an old fashioned thermometer outside. Those lazy sobs at weatherbug need to get their butts off of the couches and clean the damn sensors!!! This is an OUTRAGE!!!!!

I want my zero reading!!!

This is perfect jebwalk weather!!!! Nice cool refreshing weather. This would also be a wonderful time to go dig snow.

The only thing we are lacking right now, is a nice 18 mph northeasterly breeze. That would be truly refreshing.

Go outside and breathe in a nice deep breath of fresh arctic air. Feel the nose hairs freeze. There is no better feeling on earth. We got us a nice winter for sure.

The PWC School District building next to Prince William National Forest is still over 13 degrees, while a few miles up the road it's 2.2 degrees below zero at the Manassas Airport.

Also worth noting, it is 30.5 in my unheated greenhouse, which I made out of cattle panels, bamboo poles, zip ties, and plastic sheeting. On Sunday I put 4 strings of clear mini christmas lights all around on the beds to try to protect all my veggies from tonight's cold temps. It's amazing that that's enough heat to keep it above 30 degrees inside the greenhouse, when it's so close to zero outside. My veggies do look a bit frozen at the moment, but they should survive just fine.

1529691_10202969077645006_294838278_o.jp

Man, that's a cool setup that you have there.  What do you grow over the winter?  Is it warm enough in a couple of weeks to start your tomato and pepper plants in there? 

Cloudy and a balmy 10° here.

I do not have all the details but the Signal Corp was the taker of DC offical temepratuyres starting in the 1870's and then the station moved several times and changed hands, was up on 16th St nw for a while so when you look at the cold records from the 1870's to 1930's there is UTTERLY NO SIMILIARITY to the station we now have. Some of thetemperature achievements this winter are historic and super impressive.. Also, it's cheap midnight highs, not dirty. 37 will be the high for DCA today recorded at 12:01. To me, that is completely unreflective of what this day was about and in fact becomes more a matter of time than temperature and something is wrong with that.

Here's a report on the official DC record:  http://mrcc.sws.uiuc.edu/FORTS/histories/DC_Washington_DC_Grice.pdf

Got to 2F in Cville apparently; that's what CHO had when I got up at 6:00 am. Warmed up pretty quickly when the sun peeked out. Up to 11F already. While I would have loved a subzero reading, it's still very, very impressive for central VA in March. No wind either so just refreshing arctic air without the "I want to kill myself it's so cold" feeling.

Archived