joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 28 and early March extreme cold

Ian

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These kind of nights make me wonder about the climo record. In 100 years this will look like two nights of big cold but it's just one.

I wonder if something like 7am-7am would rule out more of the false lows and highs. Or if there's some other method that could be used.

You sound like a reverse Howard when he complains about "dirty" midnight highs.

I'm not too bent out of shape about it but it points to an issue in analyzing old dailies... It's probably not a huge number and it doesn't really matter as both days did see those temps but it's still interesting from a data nerd pov.

I'm not too bent out of shape about it but it points to an issue in analyzing old dailies... It's probably not a huge number and it doesn't really matter as both days did see those temps but it's still interesting from a data nerd pov.

I understand your concern. From one data nerd to another.

I wonder if something like 7am-7am would rule out more of the false lows and highs. Or if there's some other method that could be used.

It could in many cases probably though I don't personally like that method much overall. That's what co-ops do.

I understand your concern. From one data nerd to another.

It's more a wording issue than anything. I'd refer to them as two morning lows in similar instances in the past probably. Then again so few people even know the numbers you could make them up and get away with it. ;)

I do not have all the details but the Signal Corp was the taker of DC offical temepratuyres starting in the 1870's and then the station moved several times and changed hands, was up on 16th St nw for a while so when you look at the cold records from the 1870's to 1930's there is UTTERLY NO SIMILIARITY to the station we now have.

Some of thetemperature achievements this winter are historic and super impressive..

Also, it's cheap midnight highs, not dirty. 37 will be the high for DCA today recorded at 12:01. To me, that is completely unreflective of what this day was about and in fact becomes more a matter of time than temperature and something is wrong with that.

Yeah I didn't really think it through but most lows are around 7a so makes sense.

The best way to avoid it would prob be like a 10am reset...that way you avoid double counting most lows and highs. Though midnight actually isn't that bad...on a night like tonight it will counterfeit easily, but those are obviously not the norm.

-1f lots of negative numbers showing up in the valleys of Central and northern Maryland.   Good radiation cooling, I don't know when the last time we were below zero in March.

I don't think that has ever happened in March. In fact i think tonights low of 5 at BWI is the lowest all time March temp in Baltimore. Please correct me if i am wrong Ian.

I do not have all the details but the Signal Corp was the taker of DC offical temepratuyres starting in the 1870's and then the station moved several times and changed hands, was up on 16th St nw for a while so when you look at the cold records from the 1870's to 1930's there is UTTERLY NO SIMILIARITY to the station we now have. Some of thetemperature achievements this winter are historic and super impressive.. Also, it's cheap midnight highs, not dirty. 37 will be the high for DCA today recorded at 12:01. To me, that is completely unreflective of what this day was about and in fact becomes more a matter of time than temperature and something is wrong with that.

I think cheap midnight highs have been going on forever?...it's why it is so hard to set records

I don't think that has ever happened in March. In fact i think tonights low of 5 at BWI is the lowest all time March temp in Baltimore. Please correct me if i am wrong Ian.

You're right, BWI just needs to drop a few more degrees to set a new March record low. 

I do not have all the details but the Signal Corp was the taker of DC offical temepratuyres starting in the 1870's and then the station moved several times and changed hands, was up on 16th St nw for a while so when you look at the cold records from the 1870's to 1930's there is UTTERLY NO SIMILIARITY to the station we now have.Some of thetemperature achievements this winter are historic and super impressive..Also, it's cheap midnight highs, not dirty. 37 will be the high for DCA today recorded at 12:01. To me, that is completely unreflective of what this day was about and in fact becomes more a matter of time than temperature and something is wrong with that.

These days it seems they could take an avg of hourlies rather than high and low for the daily avg but that makes everything already in the record an issue I guess.

I do not have all the details but the Signal Corp was the taker of DC offical temepratuyres starting in the 1870's and then the station moved several times and changed hands, was up on 16th St nw for a while so when you look at the cold records from the 1870's to 1930's there is UTTERLY NO SIMILIARITY to the station we now have.Some of thetemperature achievements this winter are historic and super impressive..Also, it's cheap midnight highs, not dirty. 37 will be the high for DCA today recorded at 12:01. To me, that is completely unreflective of what this day was about and in fact becomes more a matter of time than temperature and something is wrong with that.

very good point, but where do you draw the line? There has to be a 24 hr period of statistical measurements just based on our clock. We all know today was not 37, but it was recorded technically TODAY. I am NOT a stats guy, but it does skew reality.

It is tho that was in Balt City.. So it probably wouldn't be set there tonight. But those issues are present in a lot of places we just overfocus on DCA.

Archived