joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Madness 03/03/2014 -------> The EURO abides

winterymix

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen the run but the GFS sucks so until the euro shows us getting crippled I'm going to assume it's not happening. The GFS also showed us getting a high of like 15 next Wednesday yesterday which would be the coldest high on record in March.

Agreed, until the Euro comes on board the likely hood of this happening is slim.

maybe <1" of snow at the end for DC...I am more interested in the absolutely ludicrous temps that the GFS is showing during the event.  I don't really believe in ice in March, but if those temps can even come close to verifying it will be a major ice event even in the city...of course they are probably too cold

I was thinking the same thing. That would be historic in and of itself! I am hoping for sleet if not snow when it gets that cold, or less precip. Can we get a look at records? Highs, lows and low highs?

lol- if you blend everything that's what you get. And it's 4 days away so the end of my forecast would say this period needs to be watched closely. I don't think the temps are impossible. Just improbable. Climo can never be ignored. 

You are learning, climo wins 90% of the time here. Your forecast is actually very good for this far out.

Agreed, until the Euro comes on board the likely hood of this happening is slim.

Raw temps are bad in midwinter and I get the sense they are worse in this case. If it is showing upper teens to low 20s that's a lot of breathing room... I dunno. I hope all the trees in the city come down.

Some dude did an analysis of the accuracy of the 4 runs. It was a fairly detailed look. I can't remember who posted it or where the link is. 6z overall performed the worst and it had to do with the least amount of additional data input. Overall the differences are negligible. I've never been a gfs run basher. I think the model is a great tool with all 4 cycles.

This might be the link you were talking about, from December 2012:

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/wx24fy/doc/GFS4cycle_GCWMB_briefing_13dec2012_fyang.pdf

Roughly 00z > 12z > 18z > 06z, with small but significant differences between them.  But the difference is much smaller than between say the Euro and the GFS.  And the gap has been closing (it was much worse before 2007).  On average 6z was initialized with about 10% less conventional data than the other cycles.

The interesting conclusion was that if you're looking at a fixed point in time (say noon on Monday), then the 6z will do better than the previous 00z on average if you're within about 3 days.  Beyond that, the 6z isn't significantly more accurate than the previous 00z.

Mostly frozen precip. on this run. Back to back cold runs of GFS . And the Euro was also a little more south. Starting to think, as Matt has already mentioned , that if the temps are close to what the last 2 runs of GFS depict, then we r looking @ major icing. 51 years in Rockville. Never have seen major ice storm in March. We'll see what the Euro does.

The Euro, ensemble trends and now new GFS are in better agreement with the whole Canada situation. The long duration British Columbia low has become favored solution. Combined with NAO regions, the idea of less snow and more ice is gaining support. Meh

If I had to make a forecast I would say some ice or sleet overnight on Sunday with not many problems on the roads that melts off during the day monday and changes to snow at the end with light accumulations. 

Stepping away from models and looking at climo, I think that's a very fair forecast.

The Euro, ensemble trends and now new GFS are in better agreement with the whole Canada situation. The long duration British Columbia low has become favored solution. Combined with NAO regions, the idea of less snow and more ice is gaining support. Meh

If we are going to get an ice storm and lose out on 1' of snow it better be crippling.

Archived