joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 28-March 3rd Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Side note, should I be using DVN or ILX?

Because I'm kinda right in the middle of like 3 of them, but the LSX doesn't quite do it for me.

I'm in Peoria which is in the ILX CWA but look at LOT and DVN. ILX doesn't put near as much info in the AFD as the other offices.

TimChgo is clearly a loyal Channel 7 news guy.

Classic Alek, spiking the football before the event even starts.

Still have no idea what to expect here. Euro continues the theme of a graze job for LAF with the main/last piece...while the GFS is the most bullish with overall multi-day precip. At least my p&c doesn't have sleet likely right now. :lol:

On a historical note, Indianapolis needs 6.0" to break their season snowfall record (52.3º now, record is 58.2º). Thus my rooting interests lies with them. 

DTW needs 14.7"....but they are already at #2. The gap between the archaic #1 & 2 is and always has been huge, as #1 has never even been threatened in the past 134 years until this year. It would be really nice if both places (as well as Chicago) can score because while this alone may not break the record for any of the above cities, any snowfall gets them closer and closer. Chicago seems a long shot for #1, but you never know.,

Looks like a Michigan-Wisconsin special.  Lol...This run drizzles on areas to the south that are modeled to get the heaviest snow/ice (GFS/GGEM/Euro).

Didn't even notice that until you mentioned it. Southerly flow doesn't do much good for areas outside of the main band in Wisconsin as the DGZ isn't looking so hot. Makes me wonder what the ratios are really like...

---

Any appreciable snow for Friday night is out it seems on the GFS. It's all on wave 2.

The setup initially here is almost a carbon copy of Jan 2, 1999. The massive difference is that rather than having the piece of the PV over western Canada drop down and phase with the stj wave, the PV s/w stays dominant and forces everything to shear out as it heads east. What a waste of potential.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1999/us0101.php

TimChgo is clearly a loyal Channel 7 news guy.

Classic Alek, spiking the football before the event even starts.

Still have no idea what to expect here. Euro continues the theme of a graze job for LAF with the main/last piece...while the GFS is the most bullish with overall multi-day precip. At least my p&c doesn't have sleet likely right now. :lol:

On a historical note, Indianapolis needs 6.0" to break their season snowfall record (52.3º now, record is 58.2º). Thus my rooting interests lies with them. 

What can I say... I like Tracy Butler.   :)

WGN seems to think accumulation on Sunday, with light snow or "passing flurries" for Saturday., and then some flurries or light snow for Monday, they don't give any amounts, however. 

What can I say... I like Tracy Butler.   :)

WGN seems to think accumulation on Sunday, with light snow or "passing flurries" for Saturday., and then some flurries or light snow for Monday, they don't give any amounts, however.

She was something in her heyday.

post-2221-0-27750900-1393432661_thumb.jp

The setup initially here is almost a carbon copy of Jan 2, 1999. The massive difference is that rather than having the piece of the PV over western Canada drop down and phase with the stj wave, the PV s/w stays dominant and forces everything to shear out as it heads east. What a waste of potential.

I agree. 12z GFS continues with its trend of a miss for us on Tuesday.

Huge waste of potential here. We have a nice GOA wave break going on as a piece of that PV is forced SW from Alert, NU. Still not so sure the models are correct with such aggressive retrogression/stretching of the PV lobe instead of a more typical split. This would force the western piece to end up sharper, weaker with more opportunity to dig. Definitely running out of time though...

EURO back NW from previous runs. LAF does really well. Southern suburbs of Chicago does alright. 

.3-.4 for S. WI and N. IL about .3 for ORD.

.6+ for LAF.

.3 for Cyclone and DTW areas. 

Ohio/S. IN/C. IL and N. MO get hammered with 1+ 

LAF is easily all snow this run looking at the raw data

Yeah - I don't disagree, but it leaves us with little wiggle warm. I don't have thermal profile data for the Euro, but if it's anything like the GFS the warmest layer is at ~750mb which is several degrees C warmer than what's shown by the 0C 850mb isotherm.

Archived