joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 28-March 3rd Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SNOWFALL AMOUNTS ARE STILL SOMEWHAT IN QUESTION FOR THIS EVENT.
HOWEVER...WHAT IS BEING SUGGESTED IS A WIDESPREAD LIGHT TO MODERATE
SNOW EVENT.

SUNDAY ON...
THE MODEL CONSENSUS HAS CHANCE POPS ON SUNDAY WITH SLIGHT CHANCE TO
CHANCE POPS SUNDAY NIGHT FOR THE PASSAGE OF THE SECOND PIECE OF
ENERGY MAKING UP THE STORM SYSTEM. FOR SOME AREAS THE SNOW WILL
LIKELY BE NEAR CONTINUOUS FROM SATURDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH SUNDAY
NIGHT. OTHER AREAS MAY SEE A BREAK IN THE SNOW BETWEEN THE TWO
PIECES OF ENERGY.

Manwhile, Weather.gov takes a big old *honk* on my hopes and dreams.

So in the what can go wrong camp, the 2 scenarios that I'm thinking about are 1) we get missed north initially and then the main storm misses or skirts south and 2) things shift north and we're sweating precip type.  I think either one of these has about an equal chance of happening but concerns aside, I don't hate where I'm sitting right now. 

So in the what can go wrong camp, the 2 scenarios that I'm thinking about are 1) we get missed north initially and then the main storm misses or skirts south and 2) things shift north and we're sweating precip type.  I think either one of these has about an equal chance of happening but concerns aside, I don't hate where I'm sitting right now. 

A lot of confluence across the Great Lakes...thinking scenario #1 has a much better chance of happening.

Never seen that site...who is that/what is that based off of?

You can poke around http://forecast.io/raw/ to figure the sources they use out. They've got a pretty accurate precip modeler for short term stuff and I believe their algorithm tries to correct locally for whatever model has been most accurate lately.

It looks like it's averaging out the GFS, the Canadian, and the Navy's model with a preference given to the GFS for the long range at the moment.

It is probably best if you dial it back... We don't need over the top weenies in a storm thread.

Sorry man, I've just been really pumped for all this.

Meteorology's something I really have been into all my life, and I've always wanted to see a huge snowstorm like that. My bad, dialing it back.

Archived