joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 28-March 3rd Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody else notice the consistecy the models are showing for a major ice storm to hit Kentucky? Amazing. I remember the models in 2009 did the same thing. I was a sophomore in college and it showed an insane amount of ice for five or six consecutive days on the models. This is almost a repeat. I can only hope that we end up with more sleet than ice. Don't want to lose power.

Sorry man, I've just been really pumped for all this.

Meteorology's something I really have been into all my life, and I've always wanted to see a huge snowstorm like that. My bad, dialing it back.

Great. Now Chistorm is going back to his old personality.

Euro looks substantially south to me with the precipitation shield... a bit too much. 15 inches in northern Kentucky is not likely as they will see sleet and freezing rain. If we're going to see numbers like that, I'd expect it north of the river at least...

Euro looks substantially south to me with the precipitation shield... a bit too much. 15 inches in northern Kentucky is not likely as they will see sleet and freezing rain. If we're going to see numbers like that, I'd expect it north of the river at least...

8-10 in cmh. Wayyy colder. Sig shift south congrats cincy

That got to be freezing rain, sleet, and snow. The 2009 ice storm had a run 60-72 hours out with parts of KY getting 30 inches of snow. We all know that didn't happen. Although, I will say it looks like I need to be ready for ice Sunday at this point.

That got to be freezing rain, sleet, and snow. The 2009 ice storm had a run 60-72 hours out with parts of KY getting 30 inches of snow. We all know that didn't happen. Although, I will say it looks like I need to be ready for ice Sunday at this point.

Ya, I agree. Buckle down and get gas for your generator   :weep:

PV lobe dropping into the Great Lakes on the ECMWF just crushes this thing. I'm sure that feature is modeled well...(sarcasm).

I forget which storm it was back in January, but the Euro did the same thing then, and was dead wrong. At this point with that storm we were congratulating Ohio and by the time the storm hit, you and I were cashing in.

I forget which storm it was back in January, but the Euro did the same thing then, and was dead wrong. At this point with that storm we were congratulating Ohio and by the time the storm hit, you and I were cashing in.

Euro has been performing much better than the garbage it was churning out back in January but I guess we're back in a similar setup

Euro has been performing much better than the garbage it was churning out back in January but I guess we're back in a similar setup

Yeah, this is similar to January when it was failing hard. More than likely Euro is overdoing the strength of the troughing in Canada, which tends to happen pretty regularly now. Not saying to discount the Euro completely as there are a lot of moving parts but the strength of the polar vortex is going to dictate how far north this system can get.

You can poke around http://forecast.io/raw/ to figure the sources they use out. They've got a pretty accurate precip modeler for short term stuff and I believe their algorithm tries to correct locally for whatever model has been most accurate lately.

It looks like it's averaging out the GFS, the Canadian, and the Navy's model with a preference given to the GFS for the long range at the moment.

Whatever averages they are using it has been creeping up all day to an lol worthy 15-23 inches of snow over 2 days for CMH.

The general thought this winter has been that the GFS has modeled the northern stream better overall than the ECMWF, so we'll see if that applies here. Also as mentioned by others, with the southern stream feature not coming ashore til Saturday, there's likely to be higher than normal uncertainty until pretty late in the game. My overall take is that the GFS has been somewhat more consistent so far in handling this setup.

Just to prove how that forecast.io page is a bit suspect, it just changed from 2-4" Saturday and 1" Sunday to 2-4" Saturday and 9-13" Sunday for Detroit. :lol:

WxUnderground is doing the same thing.. Today's number's are up to 12-20'' from Sat night - Sun night  LOL

Archived