joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 28-March 3rd Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2/8/94 is the #1 CIPS Analog, where MKE picked up +10" and highest totals confined to WI/IL shoreline....overall setup looks similar with zonal flow, PV over SE Canada and NE/E winds with 850mb temps between -14-18C. Makes me think the lake will be a decent contributor despite the cold/icy lake temps.

2/8/94 is the #1 CIPS Analog, where MKE picked up +10" and highest totals confined to WI/IL shoreline....overall setup looks similar with zonal flow, PV over SE Canada and NE/E winds with 850mb temps between -14-18C. Makes me think the lake will be a decent contributor despite the cold/icy lake temps.

Lock it in boys.

Euro much weaker with the Fri night wave for northern IL.  Instead of 2-4" it's 1-2" at best.  Sun wave is still coming in, but looks pretty meager at 102hrs.

EDIT:  Looking like a 1-2" event Fri night followed by another 1-2" event Sat night if Euro works out for this area.  Nice refresher.

LAF had temps in the low 20s for GHD.  That's about the coldest temp I've seen with sleet, at least anything remotely significant, but I imagine it could be a lot colder given the right setup.  All about what's going on aloft.    

I think it was '94 or '95 (widespread icestorm in early Feb or early Jan....I know I suck at dates), anyways biggest sleet storm I've ever experienced.  It was 16 degrees and sleet most of the day.   When it finally 'warmed up' in the evening it went over to thunderstorms and freezing rain.   Surface temps mean nothing when it comes to sleet....other than getting too warm of course.

That was my train of thought on what he said... For him probably anything under 4" or so as a non-event. I don't think he's a fan of these long duration events, but he can correct me if I'm wrong.

It was pretty clear I was talking strictly about Friday in that post. 3 day event totals may end up in the 6-8" range if everything works out (we're trending away from that direction) but Friday is going to be just another forgettable 1-3" hit (being generous).

LOT 's uninspired AFD this AM seems to support this.

there isn't much support for anything interesting on the table right now and the GFS certainly hasn't been consistent...hard to get too bullish at this point. 2-5" for a 3 day total sounds fair at this point.

It is nice to see LOT agreeing with my thoughts on Friday. Shame my usual stalkers had to get so bent out of shape.

UPPER PATTERN WILL BECOME MORE ZONAL LATE IN THE WEEK INTO THE

WEEKEND WITH BROAD FLAT TROUGHING IN PLACE MUCH OF THE PERIOD.

SURFACE LOW OVER THE CANADIAN PRAIRIES FRIDAY WILL DRAG A COLD FRONT

ACROSS THE MIDWEST FRIDAY NIGHT INTO EARLY SATURDAY...WHILE A WEAK

SOUTHERN STREAM WAVE WILL DEVELOP OVER THE MID MISSISSIPPI VALLEY

AND ENHANCE MOISTURE FLUX INTO THE LOCAL AREA WITH PWATS RISING TO

AROUND HALF AN INCH FRIDAY NIGHT. AT THIS POINT...DOESNT LOOK LIKE

SNOW WILL GET OUT OF HAND...BUT IT DOES APPEAR FAVORABLE FOR SOME

MINOR ACCUMULATIONS ACROSS THE AREA. 

On the lake contribution factor. The soundings don't look that great with an inversion below 850 mb. Would need that to raise up to make use of those delta Ts.

---

Yeah GFS is weak sauce with the first wave, which actually bypasses the immediate area.

there isn't much support for anything interesting on the table right now and the GFS certainly hasn't been consistent...hard to get too bullish at this point. 2-5" for a 3 day total sounds fair at this point.

It is nice to see LOT agreeing with my thoughts on Friday. Shame my usual stalkers had to get so bent out of shape.

When you posted it, the EURO/GGEM all had 4+ for that first wave. Stop trying to troll.

I noticed locally that the 6z GFS was worse than tha 0z GFS, but there were a few nicer ensembles at 6z than 0z. Still tons of uncertainty.

6z GFS is awful for Toronto. Every single one of the waves manages to miss this city in some way. Places that can't handle the snow (I.. Mid Atlantic states) get it.

6z GFS is awful for Toronto. Every single one of the waves manages to miss this city in some way. Places that can't handle the snow (I.. Mid Atlantic states) get it.

Its just a graze job here...but as said, several ensembles look very nice for your area as well as mine. All over the place, at this stage I wouldnt expect anything else.

Hello boys and girls (if there are any), the Macomb boy is back, and holy crap.

http://forecast.io/#/f/40.4599,-90.6695

I'm not putting too much stock into this but it had my roommate and I laughing pretty hard.

But here's the synopsis of the DVN (I'm in the extreme southern part):

REGARDLESS...THIS STORM SYSTEM WILL IMPACT THE AREA LATE SATURDAY
AFTERNOON THROUGH SUNDAY. THE POSSIBLY EXISTS THAT THIS STORM MAY BE
IN TWO SECTIONS...A LEAD WEAK SECTION ON SATURDAY FOLLOWED BY THE
STRONGER SECTION SATURDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY. THE MODEL CONSENSUS HAS
CHANCE TO LIKELY POPS SATURDAY NIGHT AND CHANCE POPS ON SUNDAY. IF
THE SLOWING TREND CONTINUES THEN THESE POPS WILL INCREASE OVER TIME
THE REMAINDER OF THE WEEK.

SNOW AMOUNTS ARE VERY MUCH IN QUESTION WITH THIS SYSTEM. THERE ARE
DIFFERENCES IN TIMING/LOCATION OF SYSTEM AMONG THE MODELS. ALL OF
THIS ALONG WITH THE AMOUNT OF MOISTURE...WHICH DIFFER BETWEEN THE
MODELS...PLAY INTO OVERALL SNOW AMOUNTS. WHAT IS KNOWN IS THAT
ACCUMULATING SNOW THIS WEEKEND IS A GIVEN AND THIS STORM WILL NEED
TO BE WATCHED CLOSELY.

So guys, I'm totally feeling 4-8 inches for Macomb.  :snowing:  :mapsnow:

Last night, Jerry Taft had .5" to 1" for Friday.  3" for Saturday, and 5" for Sunday, and his snow maps were showing around 9" or so for parts of the Chicago area, but overall, it looked like a 5"-9" for the three days.

Still got folks out there talking about 12" - 14".  Don't think we'll get that, unless things change.  I'll bet we top out at 7" by Monday morning. 

Last night, Jerry Taft had .5" to 1" for Friday.  3" for Saturday, and 5" for Sunday, and his snow maps were showing around 9" or so for parts of the Chicago area, but overall, it looked like a 5"-9" for the three days.

Still got folks out there talking about 12" - 14".  Don't think we'll get that, unless things change.  I'll bet we top out at 7" by Monday morning.

You jinxed it by incorrectly posting the GFS had the snowfall south of LOT when it actually showed 12-14 for Chicago. Now it is south. Second time this winter you've down that to a storm. A lot of unhappy folks, save ALE. NAM must have been smokin...

TimChgo is clearly a loyal Channel 7 news guy.

Classic Alek, spiking the football before the event even starts.

Still have no idea what to expect here. Euro continues the theme of a graze job for LAF with the main/last piece...while the GFS is the most bullish with overall multi-day precip. At least my p&c doesn't have sleet likely right now. :lol:

On a historical note, Indianapolis needs 6.0" to break their season snowfall record (52.3º now, record is 58.2º). Thus my rooting interests lies with them. 

Archived