joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 28-March 3rd Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SREF mean already over 3" by 84 hours at YYZ with round 1. Overall, they've done a good job this winter although they hit a snag with the Feb 17 event.

They were definitely a bit overdone, but they didn't do terrible with that event. If I remember correctly the mean had a touch over 5" before the event when we actually got ~3-4" . Looks like this is going to be a multi wave event.

so, help me on GHD....did we have those cold of temps and sleet?  Meaning, they are saying a low of 12 and sleet...not disagreeing just trying to understand.

LAF had temps in the low 20s for GHD.  That's about the coldest temp I've seen with sleet, at least anything remotely significant, but I imagine it could be a lot colder given the right setup.  All about what's going on aloft.    

And I thought I read he wouldn't crap on this thread. I don't see any others showing a non event

Yep, couldn't even make it a day either

We've done excellent with these hyper long duration events this winter but a good portion of the 1'+ totals IMBY was the lake which isn't likely to be a large player this time around. Either way, it's hard to discount decent totals (4-8 region wide) if the duration, deep dgz, and high ratios pan out. Still hoping for something a little more dynamic/intense but i'll try not to crap on this thread too much for people eagerly chasing records.

I guess old habits die hard.

He said he wasn't going to crap on the thread and he couldn't even make it 24 hours.

Haha, true. Well he tried, but only since 5am this morning.

I figure he'll be optimistic come Thursday afternoon if the models still show the same outcome.

Alek said, "non event for Friday". That looks to be the case now. -at least 2 models agree.

2nd wave does look promising for a lot of us though.

Probably should wait to see what the foreign runs have to say regarding Friday. 

Also what is the definition of "non-event?"  Seems subjective but arguably the threshold would be higher in this winter since it's been so snowy.

Probably should wait to see what the foreign runs have to say regarding Friday. 

Also what is the definition of "non-event?"  Seems subjective but arguably the threshold would be higher in this winter since it's been so snowy.

That was my train of thought on what he said... For him probably anything under 4" or so as a non-event. I don't think he's a fan of these long duration events, but he can correct me if I'm wrong.

Archived