SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 28-March 3rd Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel pretty good too considering this winter all someone has to do is sneeze at a high enough altitude and we get significant snow.

:lmao:  And with a crusty foot of snow already on the ground..it would be scenes that no one alive in this region has EVER seen in March. Only happened one other time, March 1900, with 26" snow depth (Detroits record depth). Not putting the cart before the horse though...consensus is growing, but this is still in model land...

Kind of surprised at Tracy Butler's forecast for this week, showing snow for Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Last forecast I had seen, showed "some snow" for Saturday. 

Looks like GFS keeps a bulk of the precip south, but the long duration could be good for at least 6" across N IL. 

Kind of surprised at Tracy Butler's forecast for this week, showing snow for Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Last forecast I had seen, showed "some snow" for Saturday. 

Looks like GFS keeps a bulk of the precip south, but the long duration could be good for at least 6" across N IL. 

You really need to start looking at the models you quote.

pwrq.gif

That TOTALLY keeps the bulk precip south.   :facepalm:

You really need to start looking at the models you quote.

pwrq.gif

That TOTALLY keeps the bulk precip south.   :facepalm:

Tim is probably looking at the QPF maps and leaving it at that. Doing that though will give you a false notion that the snow amounts are lower when in fact this will be a decent ratio event which is why we are seeing widespread 12"+ amounts being pumped out.

15-17:1 looks like a good starting off point for Chicagoland

60 straight hours of pixie dust delivering 12"+ that settles to 4" within a day

winter 2013/2014, never forget

I never get excited about ratios for that reason. I care about QPF and that's it... In the end the ratio always ends up being around 8:1 after settling.

a much lamer solution than 6z and similar to more of the GEFS members

Based on winter trends...we will probably see a January 1-5 repeat. Only makes sense, been snowless here in excess of seven days. Scratch that, snowed on the back end of the rainstorm last week.

Tim is probably looking at the QPF maps and leaving it at that. Doing that though will give you a false notion that the snow amounts are lower when in fact this will be a decent ratio event which is why we are seeing widespread 12"+ amounts being pumped out.

Yeah, that's what I am looking at is the QPF.  And, the heaviest QPF is south.  N IL stays with lower QPF,  but given the duration of the event, we stand to gain, and I did say  "at least 6".  Could we stand to get more? I am sure a 4"-12" range is a safe bet at this point.

So, I apologize for my apparently mis-informed post. .  I'll shut up now.

Archived