• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter Thread - The SQL - February 21-31st

Deck Pic

I love the Maryland eastern shore. Spend most of my weekends there in better weather. Fishing, crabbing, and the beaches. For me that is warm weather zen. As far as winter goes my location is perfect for my general expectations. We all have to find a balance and VT is awesome for a pure snow lover. I have two loves winter and Bay sport, so I found my compromise here.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not independently wealthy...plus I need culture and restaurants and stuff....If all I cared about was snow and nothing else, I'd move to Truckee or Carroll County

I have a cousin up near Burlington and have visited many times. It's a nice city with a lot to do. He has a sail boat be takes out in summer, and he used to snowmobile during the winter. He would ride across lake Champlain on his snow mobile. Very beautiful place.

Never been to orh but they are in ideal location for cold and Noreasters

I need to live somewhere when I never have to track 1-3" events because they happen all the time, and if a low goes to my north it usually doesnt matter...I don't want to have to look at soundings or worry about the BL or that it was 50 degrees the day before, or whether it will stick to the street or 850 temps being -0.3.....

I need to live somewhere when I never have to track 1-3" events because they happen all the time, and if a low goes to my north it usually doesnt matter...I don't want to have to look at soundings or worry about the BL or that it was 50 degrees the day before, or whether it will stick to the street or 850 temps being -0.3.....

maybe Mount Washington?

perhaps Valdez, AK? However, they may not have a Whole Foods Market

If you're willing to relocate internationally and you love snow, there really is only one option: Sapporo, Japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapporo

A city of 2 million that averages 250" of snow per year.  Lovely.  It's not even that cold, either, so you won't be freezing your ass off all winter.

not me, I am happy where I am.  I could not stand a place like VT.

Westminster..meh been there done that. Lived there for 10 years. was okay then, never live there now though. Vermont is always cold in winter, not unbearably hot and humid in summer, and  gorgeous all seasons for outdoor activities. Plus plenty of culture in the cities.

Denver, since Jan 1, has become a more attractive option. Although I would go to So Cal during the winters...too much cold and snow.

Yeah it's a bit cold for my liking but generally doesn't last long. It's sunny as heck there too which is a plus of living in the lee of the mtns (as we see here to some degree as well).  Their extremes are more extreme except perhaps 2' snowstorms in the city. I'd move tomorrow if my g/f would not stay here. ;)

Yeah it's a bit cold for my liking but generally doesn't last long. It's sunny as heck there too which is a plus of living in the lee of the mtns (as we see here to some degree as well).  Their extremes are more extreme except perhaps 2' snowstorms in the city. I'd move tomorrow if my g/f would not stay here. ;)

I used to live in Boulder Colorado, which is west of Denver and right at the foot of the rockies. We got down to -10 at times but it never lasted. We usually got a 12-18 incher every winter, and the largest I remember was 36 inches or so, in late March, which is the snowiest month. We also got a 6-8 hailstorms per year and 50 or so thunderstorms, almost every summer afternoon.

Plus, I had a very weak tornado touch down around a mile from my house.

What was I thinking when I moved?

I used to live in Boulder Colorado, which is west of Denver and right at the foot of the rockies. We got down to -10 at times but it never lasted. We usually got a 12-18 incher every winter, and the largest I remember was 36 inches or so, in late March, which is the snowiest month. We also got a 6-8 hailstorms per year and 50 or so thunderstorms, almost every summer afternoon.

Plus, I had a very weak tornado touch down around a mile from my house.

What was I thinking when I moved?

Yeah the variety of quality weather in the region is hard to beat. Big snow in the mtns and lots of tornadoes close by. Someday maybe ...

I love the Maryland eastern shore. Spend most of my weekends there in better weather. Fishing, crabbing, and the beaches. For me that is warm weather zen. As far as winter goes my location is perfect for my general expectations. We all have to find a balance and VT is awesome for a pure snow lover. I have two loves winter and Bay sport, so I found my compromise here.

We hate seeing PA people down in the Bay. We call you ***holes the "Pennsylvania Navy." You come down and raid the Bay and contribute nothing.

Many snowy areas are miserable, wretched run-down former coal or steel towns that are very depressing. I like Oakland since it offers a glimpse into "small-town America" but there are some really depressing scenes there. It is even worse in WV. Terra Alta gets a lot of snow but it is basically an Appalachian slum.

I'm in sne and i am not satisfied w my climo (as will, scott and i will joke at GTG's). I would imagine upslope communitys are what you would be looking into. if that is the case the N greens (particularly N of 89) is the place to be. Although if you are not a skier it may not make that much sense because their is very limited property in close enough approximation to the spine to average those (175-325" amounts) that are common up there (thus to enjoy) I mean downtown stowe gets like 110" while the mtn gets 330".

However the further west in stowe you can locate (and higher the more you average). Bolton valley (bout ten miles south of Stowe mtn) has a number of apartments at 2000-2100'' which average over 200" and are generally more affordable. Their is a bolton valley access road off highway 89 and that is like 30 mins to burlington and or Stowe. There is usually a cpl craigslist ads every fall/early winter for studio apts up at bolton valley. That would be my pick. They are having one of their worst years in recent memory (20 years) along the spine this year as Powder Freak will attest to.

Thanks, but I want to live in or near Burlington.  I know it is a snowhole, but 85" is fine with me. I average 16".   It isn't just a move for snow.  Snow is just one of many reasons.  If snow was the main driver, I'd move to the Cascades or Westminster, MD.

Many snowy areas are miserable, wretched run-down former coal or steel towns that are very depressing. I like Oakland since it offers a glimpse into "small-town America" but there are some really depressing scenes there. It is even worse in WV. Terra Alta gets a lot of snow but it is basically an Appalachian slum.

I lived in Syracuse for two years.  Lots of snow, but the city is a toilet.  It's not worth the snow.

Archived