joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter Thread - The SQL - February 21-31st

Deck Pic

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course dcps hasn't made a call yet, not sure what they're waiting for especially since metrobus isn't running all their routes.

I see a few charter schools are closed... I expect DCPS prob to do 2 hr delay... prob will wait till early morning to make decision though

But this is silly to tweet out

DC Public Schools @dcpublicschools 47m

Hey everyone. We want to make the correct decision and we want to announce it as early as possible. As soon as we know, you’ll know.

I see a few charter schools are closed... I expect DCPS prob to do 2 hr delay... prob will wait till early morning to make decision though

But this is silly to tweet out

DC Public Schools ‏@dcpublicschools 47m

Hey everyone. We want to make the correct decision and we want to announce it as early as possible. As soon as we know, you’ll know.

Yeah they got like a billion negative comments instantly on that post from parents who want to know if they should arrange child care or not

2 hour delay isn't the right call in this case. All 2 hours allows for is a bit more sun, but temp will still be well below freezing.

Even with no sun and frigid temps right now there is a river of water going down the sides of our street right now. They must have mixed the salt with something else. 2 hr delay will probably be fine for school systems where there wasn't a ton of accumulation. 

2 hour delay isn't the right call in this case. All 2 hours allows for is a bit more sun, but temp will still be well below freezing.

DCPS is a special case though to be honest.  Having the school open will allow the kids the ability to get out of the house into a warm building and also gives them a place where they can get something to eat

I heard on NBC 4 that the mayor of DC said their salt won't work below 22 (or 26) degrees. Not sure if that is standard practice, but that doesn't sound good. 

They probably have other options too, though. Most DOT's around here use other substances as well (beet juice, sprays etc). 

Frederick, Carroll, and Howard all changed from delay to closed.  Time to celebrate the new March record at BWI.

Baltimore County still going in 2hrs late. we can handle snow and cold better than everyone else.

Baltimore County still going in 2hrs late. we can handle snow and cold better than everyone else.

Yeah, closing 2 days for a 3-6" snowfall is a bit lame IMO.  HoCo didn't close in January for cold, so I'm assuming it's the same this go around and they're closing because of icy roads and sidewalks.  

Yeah, closing 2 days for a 3-6" snowfall is a bit lame IMO.  HoCo didn't close in January for cold, so I'm assuming it's the same this go around and they're closing because of icy roads and sidewalks.  

After seeing how a lot of the side and main roads are in places i don't have a problem with Fx closing again today.  My neighborhood streets were plowed but all that did was allow the bottom layer a chance to instantly freeze with the cold temps.  Sheets of ice everywhere.

I'm wondering if what ers-wxman said about salt supplies has anything to do with it.  I'm not in Hoco, but up this way they didn't seem to spend much effort on the side streets.  My street usually gets heavily salted, but not in this storm.  Other side streets in the area are the same. 

By the way, the interstates are so white that it's hard to see the lane markers!

My neighborhood street is still an icy mess, and I'd imagine that's the situation in many neighborhoods/on many sidewalks across the area. Opening today would have been irresponsible imo. The amounts are kind of misleading as far as impact ;) The period of zr/sleet before the snow created the crusty/icy layer that still exists despite plowing. 

This wasn't a typical 3-6" snowfall where the temperature bottoms out at 28 degrees and you start hearing dripping as soon as the sun comes out. This may sound crazy ;) but as far as impact on streets/sidewalks go, I'm almost tempted to say this 3-6" had a greater impact than our HECS a few weeks ago. You could shovel the the 16-18" off the sidewalk and be done--with this event you shovel the 3-6" and are still left with an icy mess (of course we got to the mid 30's with drizzle before the ULL on Feb 13th, whereas after this one we set a the March record at BWI, haha). 

My neighborhood street is still an icy mess, and I'd imagine that's the situation in many neighborhoods/on many sidewalks across the area. Opening today would have been irresponsible imo. The amounts are kind of misleading as far as impact ;) The period of zr/sleet before the snow created the crusty/icy layer that still exists despite plowing. 

This wasn't a typical 3-6" snowfall where the temperature bottoms out at 28 degrees and you start hearing dripping as soon as the sun comes out. This may sound crazy ;) but as far as impact on streets/sidewalks go, I'm almost tempted to say this 3-6" had a greater impact than our HECS a few weeks ago. You could shovel the the 16-18" off the sidewalk and be done--with this event you shovel the 3-6" and are still left with an icy mess (of course we got to the mid 30's with drizzle before the ULL on Feb 13th, whereas after this one we set a the March record at BWI, haha). 

I like big accumulations, but I'd trade some of the extra snow for super cold temperatures during and after the storm every time.

I like big accumulations, but I'd trade some of the extra snow for super cold temperatures during and after the storm every time.

This event has me thinking a little differently for sure. I usually only care about accumulations, but the cold with this event was just so impressive, that I'm starting to think that I'd being willing to trade a couple inches off of a major storm for super cold temps/during after. Of course if the option is 20" with temps of 28 degrees or 8" with temps in the low teens, I'd still take the 20." ;)

This is far worse than the 20" a couple weeks ago wrt roads. 24 hours after, this is by far the worst road conditions we've had out here after a storm. And we've had some good storms out here this year.

Sun is the cure. We get that and these roads should clear. Salt and plows ain't gonna do it this time. The layer of freezing rain and sleet bonded this one to the pavement.

This is far worse than the 20" a couple weeks ago wrt roads. 24 hours after, this is by far the worst road conditions we've had out here after a storm. And we've had some good storms out here this year.

Sun is the cure. We get that and these roads should clear. Salt and plows ain't gonna do it this time. The layer of freezing rain and sleet bonded this one to the pavement.

No doubt... Can you imagine if we had we gotten even more sleet and zr on the front end of this...

Archived