Newest Member
    amirah5
Totals for 2/12-13 event

Deck Pic

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8" / 7am / South Arlington

Woke up around then to take a measurement.  Matches what I had around 3:30am when we switched to heavy sleet. So while the sleet piled up, it pushed the snow pack down. 

We have some strong melting going on out there now, over half of the cars on my street are snow free since it's been above freezing since 8am. Looking forward to getting a fresh coating this afternoon.  The storm definitely hasn't been a disappointment, but jealous of those only 5 or 10 miles away with double digits.

Measured 12.0" where I'm at in Silver Spring...about a mile west of the downtown SS area, near Rock Creek Park.

Had about 1" or so around 10PM last night.  I got up shortly after 3AM today, there were 7.0" on the ground.  Went for a walk and took several pictures.  It was incredible, totally pouring snow, with large flakes!!  I'm sure if anyone saw me out at that hour, they'd wonder who the kook was walking around in blinding snow with a camera and a yardstick! :lol:   At around 7AM or so, reached my final current total of 12.0", at which time it was mostly sleet.  A period of sleet/snow mix continued for awhile into mid-morning after that (probably didn't add much of anything), then it lightened up and I've had drizzle or light rain since then (through 2:30PM thus far).  Hoping the back end ULL hammers me with a good nightcap on top!

maybe way up by the MD line...if not, then lol

If there's a reporting station where the stables and Nature Center are, that's perhaps plausible. That location is about 340' or so and it's well into the park so any UHI effect -- if that has any impact in a situation like last night, I don't know -- would be locally minimized there. The Nature Center is well above the PP HQ on Beach Dr and Military, which can't be more than 100' or so. But I don't if there was anyone there this morning to take a measurement? Perhaps the caretaker of the horses? Or maybe Mr. Ed called it in?

I remember reading there was a report of 34" in RCP from the Knickerbocker storm (or maybe the 1899 blizzard, I'm not sure). It would have been interesting to get a measurement at the Nature Center during 2/5-6.

I meant to get up and go over to Fort Reno and measure this morning but was too lazy.

I lost basically half of my snow cover in 10 hours or so. A good part probably compaction but interesting how it ended up a total slopfest like we are used to. The city is such a joke when it comes to dealing with snow. The general philosophy seem to just be let it sit and melt where it fell.

I lost basically half of my snow cover in 10 hours or so. A good part probably compaction but interesting how it ended up a total slopfest like we are used to. The city is such a joke when it comes to dealing with snow. The general philosophy seem to just be let it sit and melt where it fell.

I lost about 8" here in Harford County. Pretty crazy, but I can't complain.

Great storm...

I lost about 8" here in Harford County. Pretty crazy, but I can't complain.

Great storm...

Yeah it was quality for sure. I'd still have rather had it during the day in the same air mass but mostly because it's easier to take photos when it's light and I'm not dead tired.

Archived