Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 15 clipper/redeveloper

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upgraded to a blizzard warning all of coastal MA.

'Yep, except the intentation near BOS

BOS could see marginal blizzard conditions though...esp Logan airport.

Here's map....

red = blizzard warning

pink = winter storm warning

purple = advisory

box.png

6z NAM and GFS both came west with the precip shield by about 10-15 miles esp to the NW of BOS. Don't know why the GFS has such a weak precip gradient though. I mean 0.75" almost to ORH but only gives 1" to ACK? Not really believable due to the nature of the system. Maybe not picking up enough on dynamics due to the more compact nature of the system?

not an imby weenie obs here since I leave for India this afternoon...

but look at the radar, precip developing pretty far north, banding developing from central to ne pa into se new york....looks headed for the berks.  it looks further north than one would expect, no?

Looks on track to me.

Some meso models have a sick gradient..some don't. Euro and NAM are in good agreement ironically. It definitely makes it a high stakes game as 20-30 miles means everything for some..even me. Seems lilke a nowcast deal.

Nightmare forecast because someone is going to be bummed and it could be any of us.

Interesting that the convection and spin over the Carolina's is more impressive than modeled in line with the earlier gfs runs.

Here's what I came up with very late and blurry eyed last night.  In my blog I tried to outline my fear of not being sure where heaviest band sets up and that the gradient on the western edge could be extreme.  How you could go from 18" in Plymouth county to 3 inches in Windham County.  Or how one part of the Cape could get 2' while the other only gets 12".

But my main fear is the gradient.  Little nervous that inside 128 rips snow for 12 hours while anyone west of Worcester only sees flurries.

2-15-snow1.png

Chris that gradient could be a bear. The rgem and hrrr being a little light bugs me a bit. Hrrr has two distinct spins moving up later. Odd evolution.

System looks great but i doubt we are done with the adjustments that i expect are coming at 12z. The convection has fired off now and normally once that happens the models seem to be better able to handle it.

Archived