Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Feb 15 clipper/redeveloper

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed on the NAM 850 plots it had some sort of meso band stretching from about ORH down to HFD

I think that stuff down in the MA will get you guys first with some light to even moderate snows. The question is how muchy gets back from the main storm....the stuff ahead of it is just some weenie fronto stuff.

This from the AM OKX discussion.  Nice to see that it's not just me that feels this winter has had a remarkably high degree of uncertainty:

THERE IS ALSO SOME UNCERTAINTY IN SNOWFALL AMOUNTS DUE TO THE FACT
THE AREA IS ALONG A TIGHT GRADIENT ACROSS EASTERN SECTIONS. ANY
SHIFT WEST OR EAST WOULD HAVE SIGNIFICANT IMPACTS ON THE HEAVY
SNOW AXIS. MOST OF THE GUIDANCE HAS IN EXCESS OF AN INCH OF LIQUID
JUST EAST OF THE FORECAST AREA. ANOTHER POTENTIAL WRINKLE IN THE
FORECAST IS THE AMOUNT OF INTERACTION OF THE NORTHERN BRANCH OF
THE POLAR JET...WHICH TRIES TO PHASE WITH THE SOUTHERN BRANCH
STORM SYSTEM. SOME OF THE MESOSCALE MODELS...AS WELL THE REGIONAL
CANADIAN HINT AT A NORLUN TROF SETTING UP WITH HEAVY SNOW
EXTENDING FARTHER NW OF THE LOW CENTER. THIS COULD ENHANCE
SNOWFALL AMOUNTS...IN PARTICULAR FARTHER TO THE WEST OF THE
CURRENT HEAVY PCPN AXIS. THERE IS LOTS TO THINK ABOUT HERE...AS
HAS BEEN THE CASE THIS WINTER.

Gonna be a nail biter here in central CT. I'm thinking 2-4 until you get east of the CT river. Ryan's station's map is about how I'd draw it, except I'd bump their 4-6 zone to 4-8. OKX is a little more bullish than I thought they'd be...although the have been all season.

They really have been bullish. Consistently one snowfall bracket up from BOX at the transition zones. This time they match up well.

Gonna be a nail biter here in central CT. I'm thinking 2-4 until you get east of the CT river. Ryan's station's map is about how I'd draw it, except I'd bump their 4-6 zone to 4-8. OKX is a little more bullish than I thought they'd be...although the have been all season.

It is a funny system. Looking at the water vapor loop doesn't inspire much confidence. That vort max is hauling east off the Carolinas. 

At the same time we'll also have a 7-10 split over CT/W Mass for at least a period of time with one batch of frontogenesis to the NW (NE PA to BGM) and the developing CCB/comma head to the east. 

As OKX mentioned some type of inverted trough or NORLUN could really F stuff up but I could definitely see a tick east. GFS came east from 18z with the western part of the shield and the NAM is well east as well (this is the kind of setup where I actually will look a the NAM for clues). 

It is a funny system. Looking at the water vapor loop doesn't inspire much confidence. That vort max is hauling east off the Carolinas.

At the same time we'll also have a 7-10 split over CT/W Mass for at least a period of time with one batch of frontogenesis to the NW (NE PA to BGM) and the developing CCB/comma head to the east.

As OKX mentioned some type of inverted trough or NORLUN could really F stuff up but I could definitely see a tick east. GFS came east from 18z with the western part of the shield and the NAM is well east as well (this is the kind of setup where I actually will look a the NAM for clues).

Hey Ryan, I can't find a snowfall map up on the NBC ct mobile skin website. Do you have a link?

Maybe... but these things usually wind up pretty tight. I've seen a lot of cases where you're waiting for a cold conveyor belt to deliver the goods and the whole thing winds up much narrower than modeled.

True...also, see my edit above.

At least it's not another SW CT special

Fairly easy call for down there.

NCEP Operational Status Message Sat Feb 15 13:08:28 2014 GMT

NOUS42 KWNO 151308

ADMNFD

SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE

NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD

1303Z SAT FEB 15 2014

12Z MODEL PRODUCTION CYCLE WILL DEFINITELY BE DELAYED.. DUE TO

THE MAJOR CIRCUIT AND INTERNET SERVICE ISSUE AT THE TOC/GATEWAY..

WE ARE DELAYING THE START OF THE 12Z CYCLE RUNS.. INCLUDING THE

NAM AND RAP UPDATES.. DUE TO THE ON-GOING ISSUES AT THE

GATEWAY/TOC. THEIR VENDOR/CONTRACTOR SAYS THEIR WORK COULD TAKE

UP TO 2-3 HRS.. BUT THEY ARE ON-SITE AND WORKING ON THE ISSUE.

WE WILL UPDATE YOU AS SOON AS WE KNOW HOW LONG THE DELAY OF THE

12Z MODELS WILL BE... MOST OF THE DATA NEEDED TO RUN THE MODELS

IS NOT REACHING THE NEW WCOSS SUPER COMPUTER TO RUN THE MODELS

AND WE ARE ALSO UNABLE TO SEND PRODUCTS OUT AS WELL TO

AWIPS...VIA THE TOC/GATEWAY.

MORE INFORMATION ONCE THIS BECOMES AVAILABLE..

NEWBY/SDM/NCO/NCEP

18-21 hour maps are the key on the "all others" vs GFS camp.

At 15z Saturday the GFS has a 998 mb low consolidating inland over NC west of convection that it has run right up to the outer banks.  The other models are all diffuse, with the convection further offshore by 50+ miles.   From there the GFS fires the convection further, really goes to the town with the mid level centers right under it and wraps the entire thing much closer to the coast. 

That's the crux of the difference.  All of the other models key on the outer convection and spin up the low from there which moves northward.  The GFS says no...starts to spin up the low inland over the Carolinas behind a line of intense convection it fires across the Carolinas.

We need a Tippy 40 paragraph posts to explain which type of model may be right or wrong here, but that's your difference and IMO it's that simple.  One model camp is right, one is wrong.

IMO it's not really a first to the party thing.  It's either right or wrong on that convection.  ALL models are trending stronger and naturally that'll lead to more convection which is either increasing the "rightness" of the GFS or causing it to fall down.  TBH I have no idea which it is.  Feedback is an overused term and IMO more times than not in the last few years when we thought it was effecting the outcome it wasn't

Based on the current radar returns down south, it looks like the GFS was correct.  Lots of convection down in the Carolinas now.

NCEP Operational Status Message Sat Feb 15 13:08:28 2014 GMT

NOUS42 KWNO 151308

ADMNFD

SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE

NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD

1303Z SAT FEB 15 2014

12Z MODEL PRODUCTION CYCLE WILL DEFINITELY BE DELAYED.. DUE TO

THE MAJOR CIRCUIT AND INTERNET SERVICE ISSUE AT THE TOC/GATEWAY..

WE ARE DELAYING THE START OF THE 12Z CYCLE RUNS.. INCLUDING THE

NAM AND RAP UPDATES.. DUE TO THE ON-GOING ISSUES AT THE

GATEWAY/TOC. THEIR VENDOR/CONTRACTOR SAYS THEIR WORK COULD TAKE

UP TO 2-3 HRS.. BUT THEY ARE ON-SITE AND WORKING ON THE ISSUE.

WE WILL UPDATE YOU AS SOON AS WE KNOW HOW LONG THE DELAY OF THE

12Z MODELS WILL BE... MOST OF THE DATA NEEDED TO RUN THE MODELS

IS NOT REACHING THE NEW WCOSS SUPER COMPUTER TO RUN THE MODELS

AND WE ARE ALSO UNABLE TO SEND PRODUCTS OUT AS WELL TO

AWIPS...VIA THE TOC/GATEWAY.

MORE INFORMATION ONCE THIS BECOMES AVAILABLE..

NEWBY/SDM/NCO/NCEP

Good timing!!!

Archived