Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 15 clipper/redeveloper

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have this feeling that I am going to be smoking exhaust while places 25 miles to my east get buried.  

Seriously though.  Congrats to you boys on the Cape.  This should be fun.

The gradient for this storm is going to be intense.  Could probably go from 2 feet to 2 inches in like 50 miles or less.

I have this feeling that I am going to be smoking exhaust while places 25 miles to my east get buried.  

Seriously though.  Congrats to you boys on the Cape.  This should be fun.

The gradient for this storm is going to be intense.  Could probably go from 2 feet to 2 inches in like 50 miles or less.

It's going to be a vicious gradient Chris.  Not confident I'm on the right side of it yet.

I don't think this is going to be a particularly wide band I could end up on either side of it the wrong way.

I think the GFS is still on feedback drugs, and the NAM is also high, but demonstrating how tight this is going to be.

I don't think it'll be that bad per say. Whoever gets into the best banding is going to snooze there way to 15+ And it's not even going to close. It did tick back, but it was slight, so well see what the euro does.

I'd say a foot is a good starting point for you

THE GFS
SUITE WHICH HAD BEEN THE MORE WESTERN SOLUTIONS IN RECENT CYCLES
HAS TAKEN A SLIGHT JOG TOWARD THE EAST BRINGING THE 00Z GFS MORE
IN LINE WITH THE 12Z ECMWF/ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN. THE 00Z NAM AT
TIMES LOOKS REASONABLE ALTHOUGH IT APPEARS ALMOST TOO AGGRESSIVE
WITH THE DEEPENING BY 16/06Z OFFSHORE OF NANTUCKET LEADING TO VERY
HEAVY COMMA-HEAD PRECIPITATION. WILL STICK WITH A COMBINATION OF
THE 00Z GFS/12Z ECMWF FOR THESE REASONS.

Well said, go with the consensus.   Nice system.   Euro to me doesn't matter much, will see what everything else shows/obs in the am. Important thing is the GFS collapsed west with the .5 line towards the others.  I think it's still too spread out and will continue to correct.

I don't think it'll be that bad per say. Whoever gets into the best banding is going to snooze there way to 15+ And it's not even going to close. It did tick back, but it was slight, so well see what the euro does.

I'd say a foot is a good starting point for you

It was way more than a slight move.  At 18z it had the .5 line straddling the CT/MA/NY border with .75 in a lot of CT.  Now it's much further east.  It was a big collapse for 6 hours and I think it's still choking.  But that's JMHO

It was way more than a slight move. At 18z it had the .5 line straddling the CT/MA/NY border with .75 in a lot of CT. Now it's much further east. It was a big collapse for 6 hours and I think it's still choking. But that's JMHO

It very well could be, if that's the case, foot plus amounts off the cape could be hard to come by.

I was thinking a foot at least here, now not so sure.

Messenger is turning into a QPF queen, maybe this will help. http://moe.met.fsu.edu/banding/t00z/frontb.html

Why are you so negative about this system?  The GFS ticked very slightly east, almost negligible.

I'm not at all negative on this system.  I think the banding is going to be historic.  I think the GFS sucks and said that 6 hours ago in the face of relentless cries of this thing trending rest to Chicago ;)

Messenger is turning into a QPF queen, maybe this will help. http://moe.met.fsu.edu/banding/t00z/frontb.html

Anything GFS based goes in the trash for now.  I'll ride the rest of the models without the feedback...and the 0z Euro.

It was way more than a slight move. At 18z it had the .5 line straddling the CT/MA/NY border with .75 in a lot of CT. Now it's much further east. It was a big collapse for 6 hours and I think it's still choking. But that's JMHO

I would tend to lean in that direction . I see another tick se at 6z and euro a tick se @ 0z. And then its am outer cape "thing" w nice mood snows for many. Just not buying it.

Strange that Phil hasnt posted anything on his site yet

I would tend to lean in that direction . I see another tick se at 6z and euro a tick se @ 0z. And then its am outer cape "thing" w nice mood snows for many. Just not buying it.

Strange that Phil hasnt posted anything on his site yet

I really feel like there's a big difference between the GFS moving away from the insane 18z to a more reasonable solution and the event totally being canceled for everywhere beyond the outer cape.

It very well could be, if that's the case, foot plus amounts off the cape could be hard to come by.

I was thinking a foot at least here, now not so sure.

A foot in a quick hitting storm is very tough.

However if you expect 6+ you'll be satisfied, Trust me, sometimes you go years between 6 inchers.

Now speaking to other comments:

This is not in the least bit comparable to 1/21. Well at least latitudinally. 1/21 had the band collapse south as the system was say SE of the bm and heading east, This system should come within 50 miles of the bm and head ne bombing the whole time.

I think the cape can get big totals but out on the elbow I'm a ilittle worried about temperatures. In fact even for Boston I'm concerned at the outset that we'll lose some qpf to non accumulating snow until it gets to freezing.

I think good totals 6+ are a decent bet BGR-LEW-MHT-LWM-ORH-TOL-PVD and east. I think 8+ from Weymouth to just east of PVD on SE. I think 12+ could occur between Hyannis and PYM.

Downeast Maine 12-18.

I'm not at all negative on this system.  I think the banding is going to be historic.  I think the GFS sucks and said that 6 hours ago in the face of relentless cries of this thing trending rest to Chicago ;)

Anything GFS based goes in the trash for now.  I'll ride the rest of the models without the feedback...and the 0z Euro.

Uh that's the Nam I linked, what I think you are not seeing is the banding. But yea this cores a black hole into CCs atmosphere. I am amused by the news media tonight downplaying a blizzard watch. I mean WTF

I really feel like there's a big difference between the GFS moving away from the insane 18z to a more reasonable solution and the event totally being canceled for everywhere beyond the outer cape.

Pickles has adopted the PF style of posting, he did it Monday then jumped on the train Tuesday night and wanted to be the conductor, nobody in EMA RI ECT is getting mood flakes only.

However if you expect 6+ you'll be satisfied, Trust me, sometimes you go years between 6 inchers.

This is not in the least bit comparable to 1/21. Well at least latitudinally. 1/21 had the band collapse south as the system was say SE of the bm and heading east, This system should come within 50 miles of the bm and head ne bombing the whole time.

I think the cape can get big totals but out on the elbow I'm a ilittle worried about temperatures. In fact even for Boston I'm concerned at the outset that we'll lose some qpf to non accumulating snow until it gets to freezing.

I think good totals 6+ are a decent bet BGR-LEW-MHT-LWM-ORH-TOL-PVD and east. I think 8+ from Weymouth to just east of PVD on SE. I think 12+ could occur between Hyannis and PYM.

Downeast Maine 12-18.

Solid solid reasoning

Downeast Maine 12-18.

I had the same thought about temperatures as well. I feel like we may not be wet, but it may be non accumulating snow for a little bit until this thing strengthens.

Either way, I'll take whatever I get. This was nothing just a few days ago. We will see what happens.

That razor sharp gradient is enticing, but also scary. If this wobbles west boom, if it wobbles east it's just a nice light to moderate event. All solutions are still kind of in the margin for error envelope.

I ultimately think this still ends up as a large event (6+) for a decent amount of people. And if there is some epic banding, then who knows, all bets are off.

Archived