Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 15 clipper/redeveloper

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a quick illustration of the mid-level concepts I was trying to describe earlier about the low being "elongated to the north" vs more tightly wound.....this is the 12z Ukie vs the 00z Ukie...note the wind vectors near E MA. The top image is 00z and the bottom image is the old 12z run.

Feb15_00z_Ukiecompare.png

The top image has much more robust easterly component to the wind at 850mb (and this would translate upward too toward 700mb)...ripping out of the northeast there on the map. Now note the bottom image where the wind becomes weak and more northerly near E MA with the elongated and weaker/diffuse 850mb low.

I am responding to posts that bring up 15 inches plus and the multiple other hype comments. Awesome surprise for 95 east but real quick hit on a weekend night. It's not that big a deal. Too fast moving, in and out in no time.

Not enough time for >12 probably. But (I wasn't here) it seems the 8-12 12/9/05 is memorable (not to compare...lol).

I am responding to posts that bring up 15 inches plus and the multiple other hype comments. Awesome surprise for 95 east but real quick hit on a weekend night. It's not that big a deal. Too fast moving, in and out in no time.

Unless you are living on the Cape with heavy wet snow and gusts to near hurricane force that is. All we need is a pedestrian post and my night is made.

Guys try to keep the discussion on the storm itself...the subjective debates whether 11" in 6 hours is pedestrian or epic or you feel like crap because you got 16" yesterday and will miss the brunt of this one should be in the banter thread for this storm (which is pinned BTW)

Help us keep this thread a good one stop shop for analytical posts on the storm.

QPF queens need to look at this. Take that lift and extrapolate west a bit and it covers ORH and into TOL for a little while. Hopefully it doesn't tick SE.

avn_24_700.gif

My whole tease comment that 4 ppl quoted was MEANING i think the banding will set up a bit se of where currently modeled . Im not the type to describe a 6-10 inch snowfall as a "tease"...im just not sold on the warning solutions in bos/n shore. Esp. when a 15 mile tick se is advisory snows

My whole tease comment that 4 ppl quoted was MEANING i think the banding will set up a bit se of where currently modeled . Im not the type to describe a 6-10 inch snowfall as a "tease"...im just not sold on the warning solutions in bos/n shore. Esp. when a 15 mile tick se is advisory snows

Why do you think this with such a bombing system?

Really? Hurricane force gusts? That's 74 mph right? I hadn't heard anything close to that mentioned, sorry, if that is true then I'm way off base on impact.

Both NAM and GFS have 65 knots sustained at CHH at 900mb...so there would def be potential for some gusts at least close to hurricane force. GFS has 61 knots sustained down to 950mb...so that is almost asking for 70mph to mix to surface.

Both NAM and GFS have 65 knots sustained at CHH at 900mb...so there would def be potential for some gusts at least close to hurricane force. GFS has 61 knots sustained down to 950mb...so that is almost asking for 70mph to mix to surface.

This storm with such a high rate of bombogenesis occurring to our southeast, and heavy precip rates, I expect the strongest winds to gust near 70-75mph on Cape Cod and Islands.  Nantucket, MA and Hyannis, MA tend to do the best in these type of storms.

Archived