• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Clipper 2/14-2/15

WidreMann

If you have been in the upstate as long as I have...you know that clippers very seldom produce for us. Those mountains are like a giant wall. Those mountains suck out all the energy before it gets over to us.

Correct. Check out the radar, there is very heavy precip all the way down to I-20 in Mississippi. In rotating east into the NC, NGA, TN, NC mtns, the precip will get chewed up and down sloping will dry out the rest as it tries to come down the mtns from the NW. If the energy is strong enough, it may redevelop to our east.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm no expert, but if this is a clipper then it has to come through the mountains to get here. The flow from the mtns will automatically result in down sloping. I can remember getting snow from a clipper only once in my lifetime, that was a few days after blizzard of 96.

While the mountains may absorb some moisture its the angle which the s/w comes in at. Its swinging around the base of trough coming from the SW. Not sure you location but in NC thats about as good as it gets when it comes to a clipper.

I'm no expert, but if this is a clipper then it has to come through the mountains to get here. The flow from the mtns will automatically result in down sloping. I can remember getting snow from a clipper only once in my lifetime, that was a few days after blizzard of 96.

Did you just agree (below) with a disagree (above)? You can't triple stamp a double stamp.

This!

If you have been in the upstate as long as I have...you know that clippers very seldom produce for us. Those mountains are like a giant wall. Those mountains suck out all the energy before it gets over to us.

Been here 39 years. I'm sure that qualifies.

you guys have been getting screwed over a lot lately

who is 10 below? what a horrible poster!

Yes we have.

And apparently I need to be schooled in clipper behavior. #sarcasmfont

Robert is really struggling of late. I think he is waaay off on this one. Nothing to see here.

Wrong.

There's a better chance Coach K drives 8 miles to the Dean Dome than it snowing .

I think the game was canceled more for the poor fans who couldn't even make the drive to the game.  Perhaps next Thursday they will actually be able to see the game.

WxSouth must see something noone else is seeing. Rain with a few flakes at the end is a lot different than 2 to 3 inches of accumulating snow.

Yep!  That's what makes him so good.  He's not a modelologist.  He's a synoptic meteorologist.

WXSouth is on crack here. :lmao:

You really can't go any lower in my estimation after this comment.  But, your screen name is pretty close to how low you've stooped with a comment like this.  On a scale from 0 to 10, this comment was about 10 below.

:baby:

Bevo's not a whiner, but you're behaving like a pretty good troll.  Your comments so far in this thread have added nothing.  In fact, they've subtracted a lot.

While the mountains may absorb some moisture its the angle which the s/w comes in at. Its swinging around the base of trough coming from the SW. Not sure you location but in NC thats about as good as it gets when it comes to a clipper.

Especially in this particular case.

The Upstate is just too far west and since we back up so close to the Apps, the precip jumps like a pogo stick and lands in the piedmont of NC.

That is, in the case of a clipper like this.

Are you describing moisture transfer?

Looking at the radar, I can see some bright-banding showing up over northern Miss and west Tenn. Surface temps are in the low-mid 40's in those areas right now, but it is snowing aloft. Will be interesting to watch this unfold.

Just noticed this post but thats a good thing. Atleast its snowing about 4k feet up. Piedmont of NC will have room to work with this once the sun drops and the lowest 1000 feet starts cooling.

Robert might be onto something though... If we can get some good radiational cooling before the thickest clouds move in and as the precip and temps aloft fall shouldn't be much melting.

A little OT... I think bannerdude is wilks. I noticed the observation the other day. He had less than 15 post but the observation was 2 miles north of Wilksboro.

Just noticed this post but thats a good thing. Atleast its snowing about 4k feet up. Piedmont of NC will have room to work with this once the sun drops and the lowest 1000 feet starts cooling.

Robert might be onto something though... If we can get some good radiational cooling before the thickest clouds move in and as the precip and temps aloft fall shouldn't be much melting.

A little OT... I think bannerdude is wilks. I noticed the observation the other day. He had less than 15 post but the observation was 2 miles north of Wilksboro.

Haha I thought the exact same thing.   But I also think Robert is on to something.  You can see the southern part of the storm taking shape on the Memphis radar.  I think my area should be primed for snow.  My thermometer is currently in the shade but it shows 38.3 right now.

The Upstate is just too far west and since we back up so close to the Apps, the precip jumps like a pogo stick and lands in the piedmont of NC.

That is, in the case of a clipper like this.

Robert's map shows it perfectly. Precip makes it to NC/SC state line then reappears over Gaffney to R.H. area and North. This is about as perfect a predictable pattern as you can find in weather. :facepalm: 

Haha I thought the exact same thing.   But I also think Robert is on to something.  You can see the southern part of the storm taking shape on the Memphis radar.  I think my area should be primed for snow.  My thermometer is currently in the shade but it shows 38.3 right now.

Wow that's really chilly for the area right  now.  The sites that I use for temps has 51 at UNCA, 49 in Downtown, 49.7 in Weaverville, and 48 at Asheville Regional Airport. 

Currently 42 and still one heck of a snow pack (little sleet and zr can do wonders to slow down melting lol). The biggest issue I see is moisture making it over the mtns for ne ga and the upstate. The last storm was from the sw so it wasn't an issue. Of course it humid wet and lots of moisture around so obviously I am hopeful lol

Wow that's really chilly for the area right  now.  The sites that I use for temps has 51 at UNCA, 49 in Downtown, 49.7 in Weaverville, and 48 at Asheville Regional Airport. 

Yeah like I said its in the shade... but gives you an idea of what the temps will do when the sun goes down.  now its at 37.4.

Pack, haven't you had enough Rap yet? :D

We're down to 44. Only 12 to go. Clouds thickening up, though. Don't think we'll get much below 38.

LOL, I am done with snow, but it's Friday night and I am bored.  I am partially watching this system to see if truly does bring NE(BOS) a blizzard, it's literally snowed there every week since November and the the past 2 weeks it's snowed every other day...fascinating.

If the ULL does track like the RAP is showing and does close off I think there is a chance someone may get 1-3" on the grassy/elevated surfaces.  It would literally be pouring snow, almost what CLT saw yesterday.  But, that's a lot of "if's" in my statement, I think northern NC/VA border has the best shot, as usual it will be GSO to Roxboro, also ROA would be in the mix.  The RAP puts down almost 0.75" QPF across Asheboro/GSO/Roxboro. 

Yeah good point pack.

Soundings are supportive of enough dry air for some evaporative cooling with the potential 33-34 temp. But I think the soundings might be a little warm.

BTW  look at radar over MS... A good squall line extending from the h5 s/w. Upper 40s to low 50s around there with thunderstorms.

Archived