• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Clipper 2/14-2/15

WidreMann

the models anticipate radiational cooling, cloud cover, snowcover, etc. So i doubt they will be that off. the only hope i could see is if you get under a strong band and it snows so hard it drags down the cold air (aka dynamical cooling). we shall see. it will be cool to see some flakes flying. just pretend the snow on the ground is b/c of the snow falling lol.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From here atm its high clouds. But with dps in the teens and snow pack could fall quickly tonight.

well actually since I said that sun is back out (it was fading behind high clouds)  looks nice and clear now... my DP is 29 right now temp 55.8 torch!!!! lol

maybe it will stay clear for a few hours?

I can not believe how much it has melted today, there is bare spots in my yard on sunny side, if sun don't hurry up go down I'm going lose a 19 inch snowpack in one day. :axe:

His snow map has RDU at 2/3

This is a nice looking system, but temps need to drop tonight big time, if we can get to under 40 by midnight and somehow to 35-36F when precip starts someone might see 1-2" under a heavy band. Needs to stay clear tonight, if it clouds up you can forget it.

Clouds are already moving in.  That's what's going to kill us.

I just don't see how we get 2 to 3 inches of snow, if any snow at all. Temps were much warmer today than forecasted. It's going to have to drop big time for it to be cold enough for the snow to start int he morning like WxSouth said. RAH has it starting in the afternoon after rain in the morning. When it will be cold enough for snow seems to be the big difference.

RAH says rain...

SATURDAY: THE CLIPPER SURFACE WAVE WILL DEEPEN AS IT MOVES QUICKLY
ENE THROUGH CENTRAL AND EASTERN NC...BEFORE BOMBING AS IT TURNS NE
UP THE MIDDLE ATLANTIC COAST...BENEATH THE STRONGLY DYNAMIC AND
INCREASINGLY NEGATIVELY-TILTED TROUGH ALOFT. IN A SIMILAR SYNOPTIC
PATTERN AND RADAR PRESENTATION AS THE MID-UPPER LOW ON THU...THOGH
ON A SLIGHTLY MORE SOUTHERN TRACK...A DEFORMATION BAND WILL DEVELOP
ON THE WEST SIDE OF THE RAPIDLY DEEPENING LOW...AND SUBSEQUENTLY
PIVOT EASTWARD THROUGH CENTRAL NC THROUGH MID AFTERNOON. BASED ON
THE HIGH BIAS DISPLAYED WITH PRECIPITATION AMOUNTS BY THE NWP
GUIDANCE FOR THE EVENT FROM THU...WILL FOLLOW THE MORE SUBDUED
CONSENSUS OF THE 12Z ECMWF/NAM OF AROUND ONE QUARTER INCH STORM
TOTAL RAIN. P-TYPE SHOULD INDEED BE JUST THAT - RAIN - OWING TO A
MILD AND RELATIVELY DEEP BOUNDARY LAYER THAT SHOULD COMPLETELY MELT
SNOWFLAKES GENERATED IN...AND FALLING FROM...A COLD/BELOW FREEZING
AND STEEP LAPSE RATE-BEARING LAYER ALOFT.
THERE IS JUST THE
SLIGHTEST OF CHANCES OF A FEW WET SNOW FLAKES MIXING IN ON THE VERY
BACK SIDE OF THE PRECIPITATION OVER THE NORTHERN PIEDMONT AROUND
15Z...BUT THIS PROBABILITY IS TOO REMOTE FOR MENTION IN THE
FORECAST...GIVEN SURFACE TEMPERATURES IN THE UPPER 30S TO LOWER 50S
WEST TO EAST.

I just don't see how we get 2 to 3 inches of snow, if any snow at all. Temps were much warmer today than forecasted. It's going to have to drop big time for it to be cold enough for the snow to start int he morning like WxSouth said. RAH has it starting in the afternoon after rain in the morning. When it will be cold enough for snow seems to be the big difference.

I agree, not likely any accumulating snow, may see flakes though, I am more excited about the 60-70F coming next week :-)

One thing we do have going for us is the timing. We should be able to cool overnight before the clouds move in. It seems like we usually get screwed by the timing with these clippers, like with the one in mid-January when clouds moved in at about 2 PM, or right at peak heating during the afternoon.

I'm not expecting a flake IMBY, though. I'm not sure if I've seen more than an inch from a clipper in my area since 2003.

Brick I dont how come raleigh is saying that starts late morning to afternoon when most models bring the precip in around 9z(4am) and 12z(7am) and being a clipper which its expected to slow down clippers are typically faster by a couple hours.

But looking at WV the S/W is really diving through AR/MO and the 850 0c line is dropping SE through TN,KY

and frosty I cant believe how warm it got too. 

I'll go ahead and cash out with the latest NAM clown map.  Notice the tiny dark green dot over mby :weenie:

NAM_221_2014021418_F18_SNOWIN_SURFACE.pn

I can possibly see some precip redeveloping north and east of Spartanburg, or possibly around union, but not in a million years will this set up bring snow to western upstate. This is down slopping all the way, which means drying off and warming up. NC guys, what a week for all of you, def makes me want to move that way. That would have been a dream week for me.

I can possibly see some precip redeveloping north and east of Spartanburg, or possibly around union, but not in a million years will this set up bring snow to western upstate. This is down slopping all the way, which means drying off and warming up. NC guys, what a week for all of you, def makes me want to move that way. That would have been a dream week for me.

no downsloping with a negative tilted trough.

Honestly, I'm not expecting much tomorrow beside some rain/snow, BUT anytime precip falls behind the 540dm line, I pay close attention....if you get a strong bout of precip it WILL drag the cold air down. I'd be really surprised to see all rain, but also at the same to see all snow.

I guess we won't know until tomorrow....

well NWS took snow out of my forecast altogether.

TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. RAIN LIKELY AFTER MIDNIGHT. LOWS IN THE
MID 30S. LIGHT AND VARIABLE WINDS. CHANCE OF RAIN 70 PERCENT.
.SATURDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH RAIN IN THE MORNING...THEN SUNNY
IN THE AFTERNOON. MUCH COOLER WITH HIGHS IN THE UPPER 30S.
NORTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH. CHANCE OF
RAIN 90 PERCENT.

Correct. The problem for the western upstate (SC) is in fact, being too far west. We won't be relevant to the orientation.

This movie is getting old.

Agreed!

This will skip over us with a few raindrops, then redevelop over Gaffney and CLT , and give them a hammering 2 inch snow after a start of rain

Correct. The problem for the western upstate (SC) is in fact, being too far west. We won't be relevant to the orientation.

I'm no expert, but if this is a clipper then it has to come through the mountains to get here. The flow from the mtns will automatically result in down sloping. I can remember getting snow from a clipper only once in my lifetime, that was a few days after blizzard of 96.

If you have been in the upstate as long as I have...you know that clippers very seldom produce for us. Those mountains are like a giant wall. Those mountains suck out all the energy before it gets over to us.

Archived