• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Clipper 2/14-2/15

WidreMann

Yeah, the NAM is trying to suck us in.  850s look maybe okay for rain-to-snow, but the boundary layer below there needs a lot of work.  Nevertheless, if the NAM is picking up on something and trends further south, maybe we can be surprised.  I'm not counting on it, though.

FWIW, the 00z Hi-Res NAM looks even further south and stronger.  If BL temperatures were okay (I don't believe they are), N AL probably gets a few inches.  2m temperatures are awful, though, and surface Tds are in the mid to upper 30s.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the NAM is trying to suck us in.  850s look maybe okay for rain-to-snow, but the boundary layer below there needs a lot of work.  Nevertheless, if the NAM is picking up on something and trends further south, maybe we can be surprised.  I'm not counting on it, though.

I think by now we are close enough with really no EPS members on board even for the Upstate that it's not going to work out.

I think by now we are close enough with really no EPS members on board even for the Upstate that it's not going to work out.

The EPS mean for KGSO is about 0.2-0.3" SN.  :yikes:   Looks like there's only a handful of members that are buying anything.

You know, the Euro itself was much more interesting for N NC, though.  The op actually looked like a chance at rain-to-snow at first glance, with 2m temperatures in the mid 30s falling to near freezing.  In the end, it probably wouldn't work out, and it was pretty dry.

The clown map spit out 0.1" SN here, though! :lol:

Thermal profiles could be off on the nam atleast at the surface. I seriously doubt it will be that warm with lingering snow pack and doubt all of it melts tomorrow. Tomorrow night should have some radiational cooling before the clouds move in. Which actually it may be a couple hours earlier than what the model shows still appears around sunrise Saturday when the precip moves in.

Atleast its more consolidated with the s/w energy at the h5 level from 18,12 z.

Thermal profiles could be off on the nam atleast at the surface. I seriously doubt it will be that warm with lingering snow pack and doubt all of it melts tomorrow. Tomorrow night should have some radiational cooling before the clouds move in. Which actually it may be a couple hours earlier than what the model shows still appears around sunrise Saturday when the precip moves in.

Atleast its more consolidated with the s/w energy at the h5 level from 18,12 z.

That's assuming it ever gets below freezing tonight.

To bad we don't have some fresh cold air around, with that vort track on the 0z GFS that should produce 2-4". It's a great looking track.

It will create its own cold air.  :weenie:

---------------------------------

Seriously, it should be a nice 1/4"-1/2" rainfall with temperatures in the mid-30s.  :axe:

The GFS hammers Boston, so it's probably a legit solution.

Well NWS did just what I expected this morning, all but took snow out of forecast. last night said 1-2 inches possible! But nada now. BL temps no good....

.TODAY...SUNNY THIS MORNING...THEN PARTLY SUNNY WITH A SLIGHT
CHANCE OF RAIN THIS AFTERNOON. HIGHS IN THE MID 40S. WEST WINDS
AROUND 10 MPH THIS MORNING...BECOMING LIGHT AND VARIABLE. CHANCE
OF RAIN 20 PERCENT.
.TONIGHT...A CHANCE OF RAIN IN THE EVENING...THEN RAIN WITH SNOW
LIKELY AFTER MIDNIGHT. LITTLE OR NO SNOW ACCUMULATION. LOWS IN
THE LOWER 30S. SOUTH WINDS AROUND 10 MPH. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION
NEAR 100 PERCENT.
.SATURDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. A CHANCE OF SNOW AND RAIN IN THE
MORNING. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 30S. NORTHWEST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH
WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 50 PERCENT.

well this could be interesting lol.  steady light rain and showers over night, low of 27* - this has ended up being an unbelievable winter starting early january through mid feb.  even if we do get just rain, with so much still on the ground and a refreeze tonight tomorrow morning could be awfully icy again.  at least its saturday.  this week has turned into a 6 day weekend :lol:

I think a lot of people in the triad and RDU and eastern NC and Va. might get a surprise snow tonight and tomorrow.

I wish man, but we look to be cooking at the surface. Guess it'll depend on how deep that layer is and precip rates and sun angle and all that jazz. Man, if we just had a nice big arctic high right about now....

I wish man, but we look to be cooking at the surface. Guess it'll depend on how deep that layer is and precip rates and sun angle and all that jazz. Man, if we just had a nice big arctic high right about now....

No doubt it starts as rain but will probably change over late tonight... Take what I say with a huge grain of salt (which I'm sure you do)! :)

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA
433 AM EST FRI FEB 14 2014

GAZ001>009-011>016-019>021-030-041-142145-
DADE-WALKER-CATOOSA-WHITFIELD-MURRAY-FANNIN-GILMER-UNION-TOWNS-
CHATTOOGA-GORDON-PICKENS-DAWSON-LUMPKIN-WHITE-FLOYD-BARTOW-
CHEROKEE-POLK-HARALSON-
433 AM EST FRI FEB 14 2014

...LIGHT SNOW EXPECTED FOR PARTS OF NORTH GEORGIA TONIGHT...

A CLIPPER-LIKE STORM SYSTEM WILL MOVE RAPIDLY OUT OF THE MIDWEST
AND ACROSS NORTH AND CENTRAL GEORGIA LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND
TONIGHT. LIGHT RAIN WILL BEGIN TO SPREAD ACROSS NORTH GEORGIA
LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND ACROSS CENTRAL GEORGIA TONIGHT. THE
PRECIPITATION WILL END BY SATURDAY MORNING.

THE RAIN WILL BECOME MIXED WITH AND CHANGE TO LIGHT SNOW ACROSS
PARTS OF NORTH GEORGIA THIS EVENING...GENERALLY NORTH OF A LINE
FROM BUCHANAN...TO CANTON...TO HELEN. AT THIS TIME ONLY A DUSTING
IS EXPECTED IN THESE AREAS. THE EXCEPTION WILL BE FOR ELEVATIONS
OF 2000 FEET OR HIGHER IN THE NORTHEAST MOUNTAINS WHERE 1 TO 2
INCHES OF SNOW COULD ACCUMULATE.

MOTORISTS ACROSS NORTH GEORGIA SHOULD USE CAUTION TONIGHT AND BE
PREPARED FOR PATCHY SLICK SPOTS ON ROADS...ESPECIALLY BRIDGES AND
FOR THOSE TRAVELING INTO THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF THE NORTHEAST
MOUNTAINS.

Haha! You may be right. I could definitely see it ending as a little snow. It's warm out here now though.

I'm at 53 I never seen  after a big storm get this warm the next day I had a low of 25 this morning. with this much snowpack I had 19 inches, never would have believed it would get out of mid 40s?

EDIT: RDU might get the most snow out of this one outside the mountains! maybe 1-3 or 2-4 but that's just a guess. lol  If that slp deepens quick of sc coast tonight.

wow, its melting but only 44 here.  finally got out for a quick drive.  i was surprised to see quite a few trees and large limbs scattered around....but it would make sense since the power was knocked out

only have rain in the forecast here but a low in the 20s. maybe it will get interesting. that snow map has up to .5" imby.  would be wild to have the third snow of the week and the second snow on top of snow within a week, here in n ga

only have rain in the forecast here but a low in the 20s. maybe it will get interesting. that snow map has up to .5" imby.  would be wild to have the third snow of the week and the second snow on top of snow within a week, here in n ga

What's your location? The fcst for Clarkesville is -ra/sn likely before 2am...then chance -sn afterward. Little accums. 

Archived