CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Clipper 2/14-2/15

WidreMann

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's your location? The fcst for Clarkesville is -ra/sn likely before 2am...then chance -sn afterward. Little accums. 

oops never mind you are right lol.  i dont know what i was reading earlier today :) i just checked and saw it.  maybe i didnt hit refresh this morning who knows.  i am south of clarkesville at the little higher elevation near cornelia/mt airy (amazing how that little elevation can make a big difference sometimes lol)

edited to add:

btw fwiw yall did pretty good for mby this week.  granted i sort of counted tue - thur as one although i know it was several events. in any event, i ended up with 8-9" on the ground (hard to measure with the wind) at one point which fell right within the range for total snowfall

Here's the thing though. They didn't really miss by 8 inches. The reason totals were reduced was because much of the snow was not snow, but sleet and freezing rain instead. The total QPF was forecast fairly well. In reality they missed by one or two degrees, not by 8 inches.

I thought they did an excellent job forecasting this storm. They mentioned in all of their updates that sleet and freezing rain would play a factor to snow accumulations...to those who weren't lucky enough for all snow.

I got HEAVY sleet at my house. You see the totals around Charlotte...we would have easily had a foot had it been all snow.

Great job by GSP NWS, IMO.

Typical snow shadows are back in effect with a clipper. No more Gulf Low and CAD; plus, BL is a debacle as noted in several posts. This is a very elevation driven system on both sides of the Apps for different reasons. Southwest winds have a warm BL in the Tenn valley. NC side lower elevations will fight downslope. On the bright side I think mountains will over achieve. Dynamic little system is dropping SN+ on the south end of the IL/IN border. 850 forecasts are right given Td at 850. Mountains may need to go 4-8 inches if not a little more. I want to ski so bad but the crowds will be horrendous with V-Day and Prez Day on the same weekend. :ski: 

Working on the snow map for premium members. This is a fast mover, but will slow down by dawn in the Carolina Piedmont. Temps aloft are razor close for the Piedmont but the upper features are strong and will be abe to switch Charlotte to Raleigh over from rain to snow quickly around daybreak. Then this small upper low wobbles across most of Virginia mid morning bringing more snow toward central and eastern Virginia. Totals are tricky because of the tilt of the system, when it... tilts, the speed of the entire thing and the time of day precip gets east. The quickness of this system should preclude any serious totals, but 1" to 4" could occur in PIedmont VA, down to the NC/SC border near CLT and FAY with highest totals depending on strong rates, vertical velocities. I think the models aren't handling this one well, either. Interesting little system...See More
1604442_784259608270763_1768603518_n.jpg

Unlike · · Share · 111 · 6 minutes ago ·
  •  

Just took a look at the RAP.  It does look pretty impressive for mby reflectivity wise, but temps are still a mess below 850.  Who knows maybe we can get lucky and temps will crash faster than modeled.  I tend to listen when Robert is honking something because more times than not he is right.

Edit:  HRRR looks much less impressive.  Has precip breaking up as it moves across the upstate, which seems more likely given the direction the system is moving.

RAP_255_2014021418_F14_CREF_SURFACE.png

Just took a look at the RAP.  It does look pretty impressive for mby reflectivity wise, but temps are still a mess below 850.  Who knows maybe we can get lucky and temps will crash faster than modeled.  I tend to listen when Robert is honking something because more times than not he is right.

Edit:  HRRR looks much less impressive.  Has precip breaking up as it moves across the upstate, which seems more likely given the direction the system is moving.

RAP_255_2014021418_F14_CREF_SURFACE.png

These Clippers have a hard time staying together as they come over the mountains for the upstate. That does not surprise me at all. It has to be a big storm to make it over. 

Even though its 53 outside right... one thing alot of the piedmont has going for them is the Snowpack and the low dps. I'm sure it would help keep the immediate surface cold up to about few hundred feet with radiational cooling tonight. Then as the precip fall and 850s crash it would have less of a warm bubble to fall through.

Who knows how it may actually play out. If it gets cold enough tonight before the clouds roll in it may not even rain at all. But start out as sleet/snow mix before transitioning to all snow.

Even though its 53 outside right... one thing alot of the piedmont has going for them is the Snowpack and the low dps. I'm sure it would help keep the immediate surface cold up to about few hundred feet with radiational cooling tonight. Then as the precip fall and 850s crash it would have less of a warm bubble to fall through.

Who knows how it may actually play out. If it gets cold enough tonight before the clouds roll in it may not even rain at all. But start out as sleet/snow mix before transitioning to all snow.

I'm gonna be in trouble with temps sitting at 55 now and clouds rolling in from the west. I'll probably be cloudy by dark.

Most are focused on temps but I think the models are overdoing how much precip actually makes it to RDU & company. The apps will cut through the moisture and while Robert is saying RDU could do well I have a feeling it will be NW of RDU and Fay could get some cold rain/mix out of this, central NC could miss out. I'm on my cell so haven't looked too recently but it will be interesting to see what the HRRR spits out late tonight. I suspect not much.

Robert is really struggling of late. I think he is waaay off on this one. Nothing to see here.

Are you living under a rock..... He NAILED the forecast for MBY. I ended up with 12 inches of snow. He was the only one that was bullish enough to see what that ULL was going to do for us. I think he is one of the best forecasters, out there, for our area. As for the clipper, I also think that the snowpack will have some influence on temps but I wouldn't even begin to know how much. We will see when the sun goes down.

If BL temperatures weren't a complete torch, the 18z NAM would have just hammered us with a good 2-4" in many areas. Ugh.

Rates will overcome all... :weenie:

Yea I'm sitting at 55 now. and clouds building to the west, I hope it stays clear for few hours after dark give temps time to drop? But I don't think so here!

This is a nice looking system, but temps need to drop tonight big time, if we can get to under 40 by midnight and somehow to 35-36F when precip starts someone might see 1-2" under a heavy band. Needs to stay clear tonight, if it clouds up you can forget it.

Clouds are already moving in.  That's what's going to kill us.

Archived