CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Clipper 2/14-2/15

WidreMann

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GSP is forecasting 1-3 inches for the Asheville area. That actually seems high to me. I would doubt we get that much from a weak clipper unless we get some great ratios.

GSP also just forecast over 10 inches for this most recent event. 4 here in Easley and that is being gracious. I took the highest reading off of my back porch where some drift was involved. Might want to find a more reliable source, though I don't know who that would be after this big bust. It's a shame we can't bring Charlie Gertz back...

GSP also just forecast over 10 inches for this most recent event. 4 here in Easley and that is being gracious. I took the highest reading off of my back porch where some drift was involved. Might want to find a more reliable source, though I don't know who that would be after this big bust. It's a shame we can't bring Charlie Gertz back...

Relax, man. For many GSP's forecast was accurate. They predicted 8-12 in the mountains and that's what many got. Sorry you didn't get what you were hoping for, but meteorology is an inexact science.

KCAE suggested in their AFD that the Northern Midlands could see snow from this event.  I don't see much to agree with it.  Here is a quick image from the 18z Hi-Res NAM(4km) that just came out I put together.

As you can see; this is an absolute wreck.

woz.jpg

Just took a look at the 18z GFS and it's a huge wreck at the surface. Even close to your area James.

I will relax eventually. I just don't consider missing the forecast by 8 inches a slight miss. If it din't continue to happen event after event, it would be a different story.. I cannot possibly be the only one in our area that is overly frustrated with this. Our local news channels can't fart on their own anymore without direction.

I will relax eventually. I just don't consider missing the forecast by 8 inches a slight miss. If it din't continue to happen event after event, it would be a different story.. I cannot possibly be the only one in our area that is overly frustrated with this. Our local news channels can't fart on their own anymore without direction.

Here's the thing though. They didn't really miss by 8 inches. The reason totals were reduced was because much of the snow was not snow, but sleet and freezing rain instead. The total QPF was forecast fairly well. In reality they missed by one or two degrees, not by 8 inches.

Here's the thing though. They didn't really miss by 8 inches. The reason totals were reduced was because much of the snow was not snow, but sleet and freezing rain instead. The total QPF was forecast fairly well. In reality they missed by one or two degrees, not by 8 inches.

I give you that and understand what you are saying.

Looks like cold chasing moisture on the NAM and GFS to me. Maybe some backside flurries except for the mountains, who might get a bit more.

The 850s are cold enough in NC, but the surface is well above freezing.

Thats what I thought too. But WRAL in house model had the s/w digging further south which would be favorable for NC. Also the 12 euro is further south and cold enough through out.

NWS for my area-  Friday A chance of rain, mainly after 4pm. Increasing clouds, with a high near 38. Southwest wind 5 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

• Friday Night Rain and snow likely, becoming all snow after 8pm. Cloudy, with a low around 26. Light and variable wind becoming northwest 5 to 8 mph in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

FWIW looking at the nam, gfs and euro... as stated the BL temps are too warm for nam and gfs.

But the 500mb flow is not too far off from the euro. Only difference I can really see with the nam and gfs is that is splits the s/w into 2 pieces. A piece heading north leading to WAA while the main piece dives south through AL/GA. Leading to a weaker storm and with out much interaction from the GL s/w. The euro appears to keep the s/w consolidated as one while diving south through Al/GA but also getting energy from the s/w over the GL region.  

But guess just have to wait till the 0z runs.

All aboard the 384 GFS train! Prepare yourselves for biblicatastrophapocasnow!

We laugh but the eastern trough does return last week of February with everyone's favorite signal showing up negative. Course it's time for it to finally dip and lock into neg territory since it will be the last week of met winter. I was willing to concede and dig out the fishing poles, but after checking there is one more crack in the door of opportunity. Besides we could all use it, it will be 90 degrees day after day starting in about 12 or so weeks as I'm sure everyone on here eagerly anticipates!

Has anyone seen the 00z NAM? Instead of the low pivoting around the mountains it just keeps cruising southeast. Looks like less QPF overall (at least for anyone in the running to get snow).

From what I can tell 850's are freezing but 925 through the surface are torching pretty much for everyone but the mountains.  Looks like cold chasing moisture which works 0.000001% of the time, at least where I am.

Archived