Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA and the fringes - Feb. 2014 Part V

JamieOber

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snow isn't really that intense at the moment. Big flakes though. Looking at radar, you'd think it was snowing hard.

Currently 4.4"

Yeah, I was being generous earlier calling it SN+... visibilities might have actually been closer to 1/2 mile, but the big flakes made it seem heavier than it was.

Still, we had almost 1" per hour rates. :)

LOCATIONS...SOUTH CENTRAL MOUNTAINS...THE LOWER SUSQUEHANNA  VALLEY...AND WESTERN POCONOS.* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW.* ACCUMULATIONS...8 TO 12 INCHES OF SNOW.* TIMING...SNOW OF VARYING INTENSITY WILL OCCUR FOR MUCH OF THIS  AFTERNOON...INTO THIS EVENING. SLOW MOVING BANDS OF HEAVY SNOW  WILL FORM WITHIN THIS LARGER AREA OF STEADY SNOW. THE SNOW  WILL GRADUALLY TAPER OFF LATE THIS EVENING WITH JUST SCATTERED  SNOW SHOWERS REMAINING AFTER MIDNIGHT. SNOWFALL RATES OF 1 TO  2 INCHES PER HOUR WILL OCCUR WITHIN THE HEAVY SNOW BANDS.

wow.

I like the chances for a lot to get several more inches that seems to be over kill.  Another 8-12? 

Yeah, I was being generous earlier calling it SN+... visibilities might have actually been closer to 1/2 mile, but the big flakes made it seem heavier than it was.

That's how it's been down here, pretty good visibilities.. but snows been piling up with the big fluffy aggregated flakes. 

Yeah, the greater fall speed of the aggregates is definitely helping out the snowfall rates, even if visibility isn't as low.

Wait, i'm confused. Is that a new warning? So some areas can expect that much more snow? No way

I doubt it. Actually i'm kinda surprised that they lumped our area back here (Altoona) with the Sus Valley when you guys have already had the 8-12 inches..and even more than that in places. Any notable additional snowfall is going to send totals into more of a 12-18 range for the lower Sus Valley. 

This is probably why LWX tried a two tiered approach near the DC area, with the warning going out at 3pm during the lull and an advisory picking up the additional snow coming this evening starting at 5pm. 

So, how much longer can we expect steady, accumulating snows?

CTP seems to be expecting 3-5" more based on their map which has us in 8-10" now and recently upgrading us to a warning... looking at radar I don't see that stuff in VA affecting us much but we should at least be under light-moderate for several more hours from this current band.

I'd guess we end right around 7-8" at this point

Out shoveling the better part of the afternoon. So where does everything come together for round two? I-99, I-81, or I-95? Looking at the radar at the moment, the trajectory of the motion in Virginia along with the pivoting band in State College leads me to believe I-81 might be a good spot, but....I've been hearing that what's in Virginia goes more northeast up I-95.

Mag or any others?

The 18z RAP showing the snow cutting off here in State College at 10 PM. The point and click for State College is now 5-11" The CTP snowfall map shows 8-10"

RAP still shows another 3" or so, though, between 3PM and the end, which would put us just at 8". And given the way this band has set up, I could believe another 3" over the next six hours.

RAP still shows another 3" or so, though, between 3PM and the end, which would put us just at 8". And given the way this band has set up, I could believe another 3" over the next six hours.

Here's hoping - either way, we've done much better than we've had with these setups in the past few years. Hopefully a sign of things to come in the future.

Btw, you mentioned the warmup earlier - Walker is now at 27.3

Here's hoping - either way, we've done much better than we've had with these setups in the past few years. Hopefully a sign of things to come in the future.

Btw, you mentioned the warmup earlier - Walker is now at 27.3

Yeah, whatever happens the rest of the day, today has been quite the good day for us! I had forecast 7" yesterday, but that was with some definite weeniism included. I wasn't actually expecting it!

And ya, quite the "warm" day out there! Haha.

Archived