Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and the fringes - Feb. 2014 Part V

JamieOber

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some intense stuff going on in those storms as they head for DE:

DEZ003-004-MDZ019-020-132200-CAROLINE MD-DELAWARE BEACHES DE-INLAND SUSSEX DE-TALBOT MD-407 PM EST THU FEB 13 2014...A LINE OF SHOWERS WITH EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS WILL AFFECTSOUTHERN CAROLINE...SUSSEX AND TALBOT COUNTIES...AT 400 PM EST...A LINE OF SHOWERS WITH EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS WASLOCATED FROM 29 MILES WEST OF SAINT LEONARD TO 15 MILES SOUTH OFANDREWS TO 21 MILES SOUTH OF OCEAN PINES...MOVING NORTH AT 40 MPH.OCCASIONAL CLOUD TO GROUND LIGHTNING IS OCCURRING WITH THESE STORMS.A BRIEF PERIOD OF MODERATE TO HEAVY RAINFALL WILL ALSO OCCUR FORSOME AREAS.

It's awesome! But I wouldn't really describe it as a "crusher" here. We barely managed 1" per hour rates (back when the band was at its strongest), and we'll be lucky if we end up with more than 8" total. There are plenty of places in PA that had much more snow, even if it was shorter-lived. :P

** AOO/UNV/IPT tranquilizer haha. 

It is snowing pretty hard though, still piling up. About 5.5"

It's awesome! But I wouldn't really describe it as a "crusher" here. We barely managed 1" per hour rates (back when the band was at its strongest), and we'll be lucky if we end up with more than 8" total. There are plenty of places in PA that had much more snow, even if it was shorter-lived. :P

Was lulling for a bit there but really picking back up now!!!  Thing of beauty.

It's interesting to look at the CTP radar right now.  The AOO-UNV-IPT band has its echoes moving SSW while right next to the band the convective precip is moving due north!  It looks like those 2 may collide over the MDT area.  I'm guessing that would result in snow rates reaching 2"/hr especially in any convective cells.

I finished round one with 8.5" of snow and sleet that ended with freezing rain. It all melted to 1.06" of liquid. We were getting some incredible rates this morning but I have no way of getting an accurate snow ratio.

Edit: Ephrata location

im struggling to get an accurate snow depth here... with the wind I dont think i was getting accurate accumulations on my snow board... no idea what I will have ratio wise since gauge may not have collected all snow with the wind

It's interesting to look at the CTP radar right now.  The AOO-UNV-IPT band has its echoes moving SSW while right next to the band the convective precip is moving due north!  It looks like those 2 may collide over the MDT area.  I'm guessing that would result in snow rates reaching 2"/hr especially in any convective cells.

to me it looks like it should collide and merge to form a line from Zak to you (and hopefully a little east to me!)

It could possibly be some CSI; EPV 850-700 mb EPV values are slightly negative. You can also tell that the static stability is lower between 700-750 mb based on the RAP short-term forecast soundings. The mesoscale forcing is also pretty well aligned in the vertical; 700 mb frontogenesis is above the 850 mb frontogenesis.

Archived