joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and the fringes - Feb. 2014 Part V

JamieOber

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out shoveling the better part of the afternoon. So where does everything come together for round two? I-99, I-81, or I-95? Looking at the radar at the moment, the trajectory of the motion in Virginia along with the pivoting band in State College leads me to believe I-81 might be a good spot, but....I've been hearing that what's in Virginia goes more northeast up I-95.

Mag or any others?

I expect everyone to fill back in down in the Sus Valley. At this point if your in the lull there's really no way out of this storm without seeing another period of precip. Any mixed precip should go back over to snow in fairly short order with the deepening low. I expect that there will probably be at least a couple additional inches and perhaps up to 3-4".. and it could come pretty rapidly making things messy again. 

This could help maintain the positioning of the snow in the central counties for awhile. I have noticed snow backing off of the Pittsburgh area on radar. 

The lull in precipitation and rising temps did wonders for PennDot crews. I had only wet roads on my ride home from work along I-81 and Cameron St. Even the main streets in the city of Harrisburg are in good shape. Not so much the side streets, but that's pretty impressive for a storm of this magnitude.

The band over central PA looks to be nearly stationary at this moment. Still have a hint of decent mesoscale forcing on the SPC mesoanalysis, with enhanced 700 and 850 mb frontogenesis. That should slowly decrease through the evening, though the 700 mb low looks to be travelling northeastward, with a large component of its motion in the direction of the band axis. So weakening and pivoting/translation east will occur relatively slowly through the evening. Should be able to pick up at least a couple more inches here in State College.

The band over central PA looks to be nearly stationary at this moment. Still have a hint of decent mesoscale forcing on the SPC mesoanalysis, with enhanced 700 and 850 mb frontogenesis. That should slowly decrease through the evening, though the 700 mb low looks to be travelling northeastward, with a large component of its motion in the direction of the band axis. So weakening and pivoting/translation east will occur relatively slowly through the evening. Should be able to pick up at least a couple more inches here in State College.

Any thoughts on the mixing line? Seems to be pretty far north and west as per what Wmsptwx is relaying.

After going for awhile with snow rates not befitting of the what the radar looked like, it has finally really picked up to a nice moderate to heavy intensity the last half hour.  Up to 5" here in Bellwood. 

Any thoughts on the mixing line? Seems to be pretty far north and west as per what Wmsptwx is relaying.

Maybe on the very edge of the band where the forcing is weak. The 20z RAP 1 hour forecast sounding does show the warmest temperatures near 850 mb around freezing, just east of IPT. I doubt we see any mixing, especially with cold air advection developing in the next few hours and our placement within the band. Also, that sounding showed temperatures cooling within the next couple hours.

The lull in precipitation and rising temps did wonders for PennDot crews. I had only wet roads on my ride home from work along I-81 and Cameron St. Even the main streets in the city of Harrisburg are in good shape. Not so much the side streets, but that's pretty impressive for a storm of this magnitude.

Good to hear, thanks. I live off 4th and it's pavement, my side street hasn't seen a plow but that's not a huge issue for us w/ AWD SUVs.

Also today reminds me how thankful I am for our garage.

Lil OT, if mets,or some1 more knowledgeable can chime in, with next lil system comn thru sat. What's odds of it forming into another coastal, maybe getting it good again?

Keeping an eye on it, looks like right now it's going to take a swipe at the southern tier and perhaps add a couple more inches of snow to our glacier. CTP mentioned about maybe needing advisories for it. GFS/NAM/SREFs/CMC have some snows mainly along the first couple tiers of southern counties. Euro really dove the system into the south and didn't have much in PA. We'll have a better look at it late tonight/tomorrow when we get this major storm out of the area. 

Thing of beauty, the seemingly rare AOO/UNV/IPT crusher. Very little if any movement on it either currently.

attachicon.gifccx2131z.png

It's awesome! But I wouldn't really describe it as a "crusher" here. We barely managed 1" per hour rates (back when the band was at its strongest), and we'll be lucky if we end up with more than 8" total. There are plenty of places in PA that had much more snow, even if it was shorter-lived. :P

Archived